electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
L'art pour l'art
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yet another url
http://www.mu6.com/einstein.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might really enjoy this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try this abstract:
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/699745.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Robert, check your mail.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
IMO Gradin's work is not as unrelated to music as one might think on first encountering it.

I will look into it. The way the theory is explained at her website does not convince me of her scientific capabilities, but this seems like something I would love to read anyway. I am sure I will be able to smuggle that book into the apartment one way or another. If I manage to get the book in, then I am sure my wife won´t be able to tell the difference between a trillion books and a trillion and one books. At least she didn´t notice earlier today. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Completey OT, but perhaps slightly relevant ( after some serious thought ) is the famous Funeral Oration by Pericles. Try reading the Gettysburg address after reading the Funeral Oration. Also consider some of the War on Terror speeches by Bush and do look for traces of the Funeral Oration. You might be amazed. Do you see any similarities? So, what is going on here?

Continuing...

The mafia, Fascist Germany, Stalinist Russia, Islamist Afghanistan, the current Authoritarian trend in America, these are just different clothings of the same fetid body, the same simian tendencies. To focus on the details of any one of these is to miss the point and the truth.

I see what you mean, but I don´t think it works well to claim these are the same. They are not.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hagen has this nice one about Fuller: http://www.whagen.de/publications/GetanzteFotografie/FullerShock.htm

Sorry guys, I am back to art again..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: L'art pour l'art Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

It is possible to write and perform excellent music without bothering with art history and art philosophy. I believe this is a fact.

I certainly agree that. And that the questions you raise are important ones:

elektro80 wrote:
However, most of us will sooner or later ponder stuff like:
Why am I making music?

That one in particular would be of interest to me. So how about it? Anyone? (Or is that an old thread?)

bachus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

bachus wrote:

The mafia, Fascist Germany, Stalinist Russia, Islamist Afghanistan, the current Authoritarian trend in America, these are just different clothings of the same fetid body, the same simian tendencies. To focus on the details of any one of these is to miss the point and the truth.

I see what you mean, but I don´t think it works well to claim these are the same. They are not.

I don't mean to claim that. Only that they serve the same psychological level of "needs." And that such things come into existence not through erroneous thinking and bad theorization. Rather that they come into existence through "bad" feelings and "bad" impulses which are transformed into justification theories. For example, if a pathological fear of feces, of an unclean taint, were not a part of Muslim culture I doubt there would be any Islamists.

bachus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
The exact claim as it stands might of course be a tad fuzzy, but I take you you haven´t read Einstein´s Leyden lecture?
The web is a wonderful place... I googled Einsten Leyden ether and found: http://www.tu-harburg.de/rzt/rzt/it/Ether.html
There is in fact a real lot to be said and read about ether and Einstein.

Actually I had many years ago but it does not contradict my assertion which was based on his “Autobiographical Notes” An interesting commentary on the relevant parts is here: http://mac10.umc.pitt.edu/u/FMPro?-db=ustory&-lay=a&-format=d.html&storyid=3837&-Find

The lecture you site is a presentation of the theories formal development.

Edit:

As you see from the links to the commentary to on the “Autobiographical Notes” the evolution of relativity was a very complex and twsited affair. It is not clear without some study but the thought experiment conceived at age 16 begs for experimental validation such as could be given by the M.M. experiment but without any notion of the aether, just from the space and time implications. (Which when ultimately formalized revealed the invariant interval which would lead Minkowsky to show it to be space/time. which would lead Einstein to G.R. )

This is my reason for denying that the existence of relativity theory depended on notions of the aether. As it turned out the formal evolution of it was indeed closely intertwined with the aether. But it could have happened otherwise.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a decent understanding of the history of the relativity theory. As I said, Hagen is going a bit too far. The concept of an aether is however a part of modern science history. Back then this was not as ridicolous as we think now.

I am tempted to quote Walter Benjamin again

Walter Benjamin
On the Concept of History

Quote:
XIV

History is the subject of a structure whose site is not homogenous, empty time, but time filled by the presence of the now. [Jetztzeit].*

* Benjamin says ‘Jetztzeit’ and indicates by the quotation marks that he does not simply mean an equivalent to Gegenwart, that is, present. He clearly is thinking of the mystical nunc stans.

http://www.leedstrinity.ac.uk/depart/media/staff/ls/WBenjamin/CONCEPT2.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I have a decent understanding of the history of the relativity theory. As I said, Hagen is going a bit too far. The concept of an aether is however a part of modern science history. Back then this was not as ridicolous as we think now.

In truth it doesn't seem the least ridiculous in the context of physics either then or now. The only point I was trying to make was that the thought experiment which was the conceptual origin of S.R. was not dependent on the aether or its experimental refutation by M.M. or the Lorentz Transformations.

I did not mean to sound condescending but added the blah blah because in reference to that thought experiment, Einstein's thinking about space/time at that time was in the Newtonian framework of space and time and I thought there might be others (than you) who would read that and not understand. Especially as it is against my principles to use the phrase "space and time" at any time or place Wink

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you will find Art ( and Philosophy ) and the Ultimate Aims of Human Life by Raymond Tallis to be of interest. He isn´t really selling his ideas totally convincing here, but the text is entertaining and quite good.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I think you will find Art ( and Philosophy ) and the Ultimate Aims of Human Life by Raymond Tallis to be of interest.

Thanks, It was indeed and more so. Both insightful and intelligible to philosophic amateurs like me. Would be nice if there was a link so others could read it. Sad

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, no online links to this paper. You guys gotta buy the october arty farty issue of Philosophy Now.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am glad you enjoyed the Tallis text thingie. There are indeed some gems in there.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was more than enjoyable. The idea that art is how we experience our experiences was new to me. I’m still working through the ramifications of that concept. I do want to put a caveat of scope on that. I’d rather say that in one of its functional modes art is a way for us to experience our experiences.

Edit:

It may be the most "important."

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hope it's okay to post something in this thread that does not directly concern German philosophy Razz

Anyway, I've suggested elsewhere (I don't recall which thread) that I don't see a necessary dichotomy between l'art pour l'art and... what was the term Hindemith used?... utilitarian music (I probably got that wrong).

Or, to be more precise, I think composers and other types of artists often imagine a false dichotomy between "artistic integrity" (which is often wrapped up with ideas of "authenticity" which might not be well theorized) on the one hand and "selling out" on the other. At least, some of the replies to my earlier remarks on the subject could be summarized as, "Well, I don't know how the audience is going to react -- all I know is my own response -- so I can only be true to myself and hope for the best with the audience." Not quite what I was trying to say.

Traditional communication theory, applied to western music, posits three "actors": composer, performer and listener. Maybe sometimes "listener" is stated as "audience," but it seems most common in the West to conceive of an individual receiver.

In grad school, with the help of some very clever fellow students, I found myself beginning to think about the limits of this conception. Specifically, it doesn't happen in a vacuum. People gather in a space to hear music (again, this is a Western-biased discussion) -- it's a social space with communal etiquette and rituals.

Very seldom in discussions of this sort do we talk about the expectations imposed on a composer by the social space of the concert hall. Composers want to retain a sense of autonomy, which I think is to some degree a fantasy, and I think ideas like l'art pour l'art help to justify among composers a certain denial of the social nature of the relationships involved.

What I've been considering lately is, as an alternative to tuning in to myself (a retreat from the social aspect) or tuning into "the audience" (which to me is an easy way out), to tune into a social situation and conceive of sounds that might be surprising but still contribute positively to the environment.

A few weeks ago, I had the chance to write a new piece for the 8th anniversary celebration of the meditation community where I go on Thursday nights. Perfect opportunity! What is the space like? What is appropriate to the space? Can I do something that is not just a copy of the kind of new-age crap usually found in such places?

I ended up doing a lot of granular synthesis on source material from a Chinese flute. It's kind of "space music"-ish but several people told me that they'd heard music like my piece, but mine was quite different from what they knew before.

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio/sangha-flower.mp3

I don't think of this as "art pour l'art," but neither is it a capitulation to (imagined) audience demands. It's a choice to participate in a social setting, rather than conceive of artistic honesty as an assertion of individuality.

I'm probably unfairly caricaturing other composers' positions, but it's hard not to do so because so few art-music composers talk about any spaces other than the concert hall -- and even in the concert hall, they commonly bleed the social out of it by focusing on individuals. The loss of a sense of ritual spaces is a massive loss for musicians.

Clubs are another social space, with some ritual elements, but the expectations imposed on club musicians are also not well-discussed!

James

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey James, good post!

beer

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio/sangha-flower.mp3

Great track! And I see what you mean. It's pleasant and suitable for meditation, but definitely not something you would find on a CD called "Spiritual Moods #5".

/Stefan

Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: