electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Using drum triggers with max...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
flowersniffer7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Using drum triggers with max... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can write this out in a very complex manner but to keep things as simple as possible to start with... Is it possible to detect trigger voltages via a serial port... More accurately I would like to know how a serial port relays information in general. I understand how to use a serial port object in max... however I am not sure how the serial port translates signal information into usable signal streams in Max. If anybody could help that would be greatly appreciated.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you already have a hardware device that translates the analog signals from a trigger into serial information? That would seem to be the more difficult part. Knowing the protocol used to send information across the serial port is what you'd need to know for peeling it apart once inside MAX.

Unless you're trying to do something odd with the serial port: like using switches as triggers and connecting them directly to the control signals (DTE, DTR, etc) and reading those in MAX. I have no idea if the serial object gives the user access to those signals or not.
flowersniffer7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Do you already have a hardware device that translates the analog signals from a trigger into serial information? That would seem to be the more difficult part. Knowing the protocol used to send information across the serial port is what you'd need to know for peeling it apart once inside MAX.

Unless you're trying to do something odd with the serial port: like using switches as triggers and connecting them directly to the control signals (DTE, DTR, etc) and reading those in MAX. I have no idea if the serial object gives the user access to those signals or not.

Figures... Hmmm... I guess I'll probobly end up getting one of those yamaha drum pad sets and wiring in some RCA's for my triggers and just use the midi info.
phasercs101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you should take a look at this book: Physical Computing: Sensing Controlling Computers The book with tell you how to make MIDI Sensors, where to buy the parts and how to write the microcontroller code and help with MAX! I highly recommend this book! I made a bouncy ball with a midi sensor in it. When I tap it, it triggers a MIDI note and velocity. Your looking at about 50 bucks for the micro control...The chip that communicates with Max (through serial ports in your computer) and 50 bucks for other parts. If you can generate a voltage the chip will be able to send it to Max. You will be able to make anything a MIDI controller, using infared sensors, bending sensors, heat sensors, light sensors.... anything your mind can think of.
flowersniffer7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

phasercs101 wrote:
It sounds like you should take a look at this book: Physical Computing: Sensing Controlling Computers The book with tell you how to make MIDI Sensors, where to buy the parts and how to write the microcontroller code and help with MAX! I highly recommend this book! I made a bouncy ball with a midi sensor in it. When I tap it, it triggers a MIDI note and velocity. Your looking at about 50 bucks for the micro control...The chip that communicates with Max (through serial ports in your computer) and 50 bucks for other parts. If you can generate a voltage the chip will be able to send it to Max. You will be able to make anything a MIDI controller, using infared sensors, bending sensors, heat sensors, light sensors.... anything your mind can think of.

Sounds like alot of money and alot of building where as for my purpose all I really need is one of those drum pad toy things with midi capabilities ($80 on ebay) and very minimal building... I get very ambitious sometimes and try to build things like what you mentioned above... then I put them aside and work on other things and they never get done... lol
phasercs101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I would agree with you...it's one of those things it would be a funny hobby but if you just need a trigger go out and buy one, they will save you money and a lot of headaches.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » MAX/MSP - Pd
Jump to: