electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
To remix/master or not to remix/master?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
monkeylizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: To remix/master or not to remix/master?
Subject description: Things sound so different now...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Up until now I've been monitoring through a hi-fi amp and speakers (albeit a custom built dual-mono amp and some half-decent Kefs). I know this isn't ideal, but on a budget we all have to prioritise.

Today, my good lady was kind enough to let me exchange some of my pocket money for a pair of lovely KRK active monitors. I spent the first half of the evening removing the previously mentioned offending hi-fi items and replacing them with the new yellow and black numbers. The second half of the evening was spent listening to previously completed tracks...

Er, yeah... wow. Instantly obvious was extra clarity and detail. However, as with seeing a hi-res photo of yourself, not all of the detail was particularly pleasing...

Some of the things that were in the finished mixes now aren't. And some things that I didn't know were there now are. The good bits sound much better, but the crap bits sound much crapper.

So, simple question - would you go back and re-work everything you'd done before?

It's not as though I'm a major artist with an extensive back catalogue that would benefit from the advances of new technology. I only make music for my own pleasure and post a few tracks on the internet (and I don't think my monitoring makes a huge difference as to how an mp3 sounds through laptop speakers).

On the other hand, the perfectionist side of me is complaining that things aren't quite right now and changes need to be made.

So.... go back and perfect everything? Or leave what's gone before and make everything right from now on?

Thanks for your thoughts.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon going back and at least fix some old material might be a good thing. You might learn a lot about why the old stuff sounds like it does. You will probably need that knowledge sooner rather than later anyway, so it might be easier and more sensible to work with populated old projects that have been recorded according to your standard workflow.

Did this make any sense? scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
monkeylizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perfect sense, thank you. Smile

Like you say, I think it will be a valuable learning exercise to go back and rework a few tracks. It will be interesting to see if a noticeable difference on my setup translates into any sort of difference when listening on laptop, iPod, etc.

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1

I agree. Will be interesting to see how your revised mixes translate vs your old ones.

Personally I think checking a mix on a iphone/ipod is about as critical as you can get, i listen to so much music on mine and the music also needs to compete with all the outside noises, relatively crap headphones and what not... crappy laptop or desktop speakers are also good for comparison. Is there no way you could have left your hifi speakers in the studio? It would give you another set for comparison.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 169

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is normal practice to listen to a mix on headphones, crappy speakers and the studio monitors. It helps to prioritise the mix.

And reworking a mic? Go for it. I've done this a lot. No mix is really ever final, even after you've released the CD.

Home,My Studio,and another view
YashN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would take this simple approach: "Which is more important to me, mixing or composition?"
onewayness

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I like Edison's three-pronged approach, with the addition of 'in the car'. That was the kicker for some remixing on my last stuff that I thought was complete (and now is... for now. lol.)

Three pronged approach, that's a good name for a band...

Hmm.

adam/onewayness
www.onewayness.com
destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

onewayness:
Quote:
Three pronged approach, that's a good name for a band...

You should be band from naming bands.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: