electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Apple hits on "hackers"
Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Apple hits on "hackers" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an interesting article in the norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.

The article is in norwegian. Perhaps someone has pointers to similar english articles. Basically it says:

"Apple does not want OS X to run on other makes of computers, and are taking steps to prevent this"

"Apple has now got two web sites closed down, that were dedicated to getting OS X to run on non-Apple computers"

"It belongs to the story that Apple has nothing against the competing operating system Windows being run on their (Apples) computers"

DJ
--
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is nothing new.

What are you angling at?
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it is kinda new anyway. This story has been all over the rumours sites since tuesday last week.

Same story: macrumors.com

Quote:
"Your karma check for today: There once was a user that whined/his existing OS was so blind/he'd do better to pirate/an OS that ran great/but found his hardware declined./Please don't steal Mac OS!/Really, that's way uncool./(C) Apple Computer, Inc."

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
This is nothing new.

What are you angling at?

Well, there is nothing about on EM that I can see. Neither did I know before reading that article.

There is no angle, just interesting news about Apples policies. Mac-folks seem very protective of their platform Wink

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There has always been small cute texts hidden in the code, even back pre-Lisa Apple used to have these small poems.

If you really start looking there are Easter Eggs and poetry to be found all over the place.

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes this is a cute tradition.

Once upon a time, RISC OS had the following message:

"Help! We're being held prisoner in a software factory!"

And in a later release:

"Help! We've been released from the software factory, and don't know what to do!"

Mr. Green

DJ
Edit: fixed language bug...
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Mac-folks seem very protective of their platform Wink

That's hardly surprising! I am forced to use the backward operating system that is windows XP at work. I say 'backward' because after you have used X you won't want to use anything else- because it is so user friendly, yet so powerful (under the bonnet).

The IT department at work refuses to use anything else but Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. They say this is the best out there- all I can do is laugh in their faces and cry behind their backs. They say the competition (ie Firefox and Sarfari) are 'crap'- in their words. Why? Because only OE and IE want to talk to each other. Try getting any other browser to accept and store your passwords (oh they LOVE their passwords!) into into the keychain and your stuck- so naturally to them the combination of the two is best- nonsense! They're a backward thinking department!- sorry for the rant. but it's getting so tiring when one knows that there is is much better and easier solution around the corner!!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Yes this is a cute tradition.

Once upon the time, RISC OS had the following message:

"Help! We're being held prisoner in a software factory"

And in a later release:

"Help! We've been released from the software factory, and don't know what to do!"

Mr. Green

DJ
--

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
sorry for the rant

Not at all - that's cool v-un-v, you should dig & support the platform of your choice (or is it the other way around?) Very Happy

I'll offer an explanation of what I find intriguing about this issue:

Apples EULA for Mac OS X 10.4 includes:
"This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time"

In Norway at least, when you have bought something, including software, you are generally free to do as you please with it. Of course, you are not allowed to break any copyright. So if you have paid for a piece of software, you can hack and slash it as you wish, "in the privacy of your home" so to speak. I can run any OS on any hardware that I manage to run it on. Thats only fair and logical - anything else is protectionist IMO, and AFAIK not enforcible here. Just as if I bought a cheese slicer I'd be slightly upset if I was only allowed to slice a certain brand of cheese with it... I'm a long time supporter of minority platforms, but not of what I see as proprietor uncoolness.

I think that Apples stand on this is not the wisest one if they want to "spread the word" and win over hearts and users. Of course what they want to do is to sell computers and OS'es, and I assume that a lock-in may help in acheiving that (or possibly not - I'm no expert). They are free to choose their business model, although I'd be delighted if I could take OS X for a spin on the cheap and DIY friendly hardware of my choice, and even dual/multi boot it with Linux and/or Windows to have the best of all worlds.

DJ
--
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to say; I saw it run on a off the shelf Intell box last week and it did look quite impressive and ran quite smoothly, actually. Subjectively it looked more smooth to me then XP's performance.

There's quite bit of hacking going on; I also saw a XP laptop with Aqua running on top of it, ran normal Windows programs from a Mac interface. No crashes.

I'm sure Apple objects to this but as a sales pitch it might even work; I was feeling unusually tempted.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OS X will be easy to hack in order to make it run on reasonably standard modern wintel boxes at least for the next year or so. Very Happy
This is about marketing too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
There's quite bit of hacking going on; I also saw a XP laptop with Aqua running on top of it, ran normal Windows programs from a Mac interface. No crashes.

I know that you can get a Mac emulator for Windows- but I don't see the point- probably because I'm biased? Rolling Eyes Laughing

...now where's my copy of iEmulator gone...?? Cool
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are also some Aqua GUI hacks for XP. It makes XP "look" like OS X.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
OS X will be easy to hack in order to make it run on reasonably standard modern wintel boxes at least for the next year or so. Very Happy
This is about marketing too.

hooray! got any links? (after all- I don't care about what the computer 'looks like'- as long as it runs OS X!!)

- Actually that's not strictly true- the glut of PC copies of Apple's first run of iMacs were pretty ugly. As an admirer of good design Jonathan Ive has been producing some really nice stuff since working for Apple- but I must say this pure white design is getting a bit long in the tooth now. I really want to see new design and new colours- like they did a few years back in the iMac range (I can hear all those masculine engineer types out there in cyberland all wincing right now LOL!!!!)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I know that you can get a Mac emulator for Windows- but I don't see the point- probably because I'm biased? Rolling Eyes Laughing

...now where's my copy of iEmulator gone...?? Cool

I don't think this was a emulator, just the graphical interface running on top of the Windows engine.

I don't see much point to that either; I don't like Aqua anymore then I like the Windows interface. What interests me is that OSX is is a form of BSD that now; runs on hardware I can actually afford and can also run Ableton Live (and I mean run, not; "stroll along at a leasurly pace, maybe) as well as the NM editor.

Now all we need is drivers for decent soundcards.

I'm fairly certain Live doesn't depend on a graphical shell; on Windows it actually doesn't, you can boot straight into it bypassing the shell, but I fear the NM editor might need Aqua.

I'd be quite willing to pay for a copy of OSX to have that, b.t.w., I'd probably need to pay for a copy of that , then download a crack that will actually run but I think that's in the clear, morally.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

- Actually that's not strictly true- the glut of PC copies of Apple's first run of iMacs were pretty ugly. As an admirer of good design Jonathan Ive has been producing some really nice stuff since working for Apple- but I must say this pure white design is getting a bit long in the tooth now. I really want to see new design and new colours- like they did a few years back in the iMac range (I can hear all those masculine engineer types out there in cyberland all wincing right now LOL!!!!)

Yeah, those grips on all corners are silly. They aren't all that nice to cary the box by and they mean you can't stack them and getting one to fit in a trunk is a bitch. Why not just have black rackmountable boxes? I think the mini looks acceptable but the mni isn't going to do much more then browse the web.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Yeah, those grips on all corners are silly. They aren't all that nice to cary the box by and they mean you can't stack them and getting one to fit in a trunk is a bitch. Why not just have black rackmountable boxes?

The Xserver is rackmountable. Personally I think the G5 looks like a cheesegrater!!- But then again, the design has been copied by PC manufacturers (Digital Village for eg)
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
...I must say this pure white design is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Luckily all is not black and white in Intel box land anymore. Have a look at e.g. the front page and produkter/kabinetter here.

The things people do free-style is quite amazing; anything goes (search for "Pimp my PC" etc.). It's a long standing tradition that I would think has an appeal to the many design oriented souls out there. How about a Tie fighter or an R2D2 for Star Wars fans? Now put OS X on it and you can't get any cooler Cool. DIY friendly hardware is cheap, fun and very high quality if you choose the good bits.

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Have a look at e.g. the front page and produkter/kabinetter here.

Where is this one supposed to go?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Shocked

Ouch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The X-server also costs more ethen 3K euro for a 2GHz G5 and more then 4K for a dual cpu version.

At those specs and prices you'd have to be quite a fanatic to get it....

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:

The things people do free-style is quite amazing; anything goes (search for "Pimp my PC" etc.). It's a long standing tradition that I would think has an appeal to the many design oriented souls out there. How about a Tie fighter or an R2D2 for Star Wars fans? Now put OS X on it and you can't get any cooler Cool. DIY friendly hardware is cheap, fun and very high quality if you choose the good bits.

Yeah, I like that stuff too. There are these great clear pc cases that look quite nice and minimal. If only Apple would focus on performance and efficiency for just a moment instead of making remote controlls for laptops (!!??) we'd finally be in business.

brinxmat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
The X-server also costs more ethen 3K euro for a 2GHz G5 and more then 4K for a dual cpu version.

At those specs and prices you'd have to be quite a fanatic to get it....

No, it is a medium-range server. The specs and price are reasonable. The XServe is good value, considering its speed, build quality and features.

Yes: to buy it for home use, you'd need a good excuse, or a deep pocket. Or are just plain fanatic.

It is also quite fast if you drop the Toy OS is carries as standard.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
...I must say this pure white design is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Luckily all is not black and white in Intel box land anymore. Have a look at e.g. the front page and produkter/kabinetter here.

It's interesting stuff- and I like the 'anal probe' too Stein Shocked But don't you think these PC designs are very 'masculine'? I'd say the Apple designs are quite neutral but lean towards a feminine look.

I must say I did like the translucent box. I'm a big fan of perspex.
brinxmat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I'm a big fan of perspex.

That's funny. I have always associated big fans with Intel. I guess a big fan of perspex might work for Apple.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brinxmat wrote:
I guess a big fan of perspex might work for Apple.

IBM-compattibles have had big perspex fans for ages now. You can also have leds inside your fans and so on if you want to. Now that Mac's run on Intell you might be able to put those in a Mac as well.

Page 1 of 2 [40 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: