electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Online evolutionary loop generator
Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Reverend!

I've just tried it for a little while. As far as as I can hear It seems that the same'ish loops are recurring, even the ones I have voted down and out. It also seems to give less variety than the old one, but I may be wrong. Is it in the source material? BTW, I'm trying to learn it to make a bit of industrial music.

A while back it was suggested that finer control was given, as in judging the loop by different parameters. Are you going in the right direction with this, I wonder based on what I hear? Still keep it up, it's an interesting concept Smile

DJ
--
revken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dr Justice,

thanks for taking the time to post your comments

DrJustice wrote:
I've just tried it for a little while. As far as as I can hear It seems that the same'ish loops are recurring, even the ones I have voted down and out. It also seems to give less variety than the old one, but I may be wrong. Is it in the source material? BTW, I'm trying to learn it to make a bit of industrial music.

right - thanks - this is fixed now - the web interface was randomly picking a "pending" loop which hadn't been swallowed up by the underlying GA - now it's not quite so random: non-voted loops are always picked first, so it is much more unlikely that you'll here exactly the same loop again (unless 100 people are online at once)

note that you'll often get two quite similar or identical loops in the population, but you quite rightly don't want to hear the voted out loops more than once - and i hope now you won't.

note that the population is a bit smaller than last time (so people hear things progressing sooner) - but reduce it too much and you lose the power of evolution.

I actually reckon the loops are a bit more varied than the old version, but that's just my opinion. right now they are a bit "thin" which may make them seem less interesting. they should thicken up (more notes/instruments) as they evolve - they do when I do it offline.

Quote:

A while back it was suggested that finer control was given, as in judging the loop by different parameters. Are you going in the right direction with this, I wonder based on what I hear? Still keep it up, it's an interesting concept Smile

DJ
--

this is much harder to do although as you say many people have suggested that they'd like to say "I liked the beats, but didn't like the bassline" - however, the underlying representation in the GA treats everything the same - so it could make a bassline out of a (heavily processed) ride symbol for example. at the moment I prefer to keep it that way, although to be more user friendly it might need to have pre-defined rhythm, bass, pad, lead tracks for example - but then it does become a bit like all the Flash based "remixers" you see on the web.

my big challenge is to get people engaged with this very non visual site. should I add evolved visuals? only a few weekends' work to get something basic working, but it increases the search space massively.

thanks for the suggestions - the repeated loop thing was annoying me and I'm glad I fixed it Smile

rev ken

Page 2 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: