electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Quicktime Browser Plugin is noisy
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Quicktime Browser Plugin is noisy
Subject description: Need some help with this...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a problem that is driving me nuts:

I have the latest QuickTime plugin (7.0.4) loaded on my browsers on my XP machine. When I play some mp3 files on this site there is a noticable clicking sound the first time the file is played. If I rewind the QT plugin player, the clicking goes away!

For example, this file causes problems http://files.electro-music.com/phpbb-files/clockwork_monk_112.mp3

I hear clicks during the first two arpegiations. (Use headphones for more careful listening.) Does anyone else here these clicks with QT on XP. I haven't tried this on OSX yet.

I've reinstalled and reinstalled this. I've changed all the buffer sizes and download speed settings.

Does anyone know of an alternative to QT to use as a plugin where the mp3 files will start playing before the download is completed?

EDIT - it makes the clicks on OSX too. See posts below...

Last edited by mosc on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The link you gave above does not even have the usual hickup at the beginning ... but I'm running an older QT, 6.5.17 it seems to be, that was was still bundled with iTunes.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What happens if you click on the link on this topic? http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-10950.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just found a download of QT 6.0. I removed 7.0.4 and installed it. It works much better - no clicks. Shocked

Thanks for your help. I wish there was another program to use, but...

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmmm,,,,

I just tried it on my PowerBook and alas the clicks are there with the Mac. Shocked

Both with Firefox and Safari. I'm not going to uninstall 7 and put 6 on the Mac because it will never let me live without trying to update it.

This is astonishing...

Gonna move this to the How Tos forum because it's a Windows exclusive.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's exactly the same, I can hear that !

Yes I'd like an alternative for QT as well. And it couldn't be hard to make, when a website provides a wrapper like an m3u it works OK for many players, couldn't the player make it's own m3u and then handle it identical ??

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I understand what you are saying.

The issue is the .mp3 file's mimetype and how it is handled by the browser. If the browser is configured to play an mp3 file with an application, then the mp3 FILE is downloaded and then passed to the application. Thus, you have to wait for the download before the application is even loaded. If there is a plugin configured instead of an application, then the plugin handles the download and, if possible, it can buffer it and start playing.

The .m3u filetype is sorta special; it's content is a list of URLs. The URLs are passed to the application (very quickly because it is usually very short) which opens the downloads itself and can start buffering and playing. If you give Winamp a URL, it will buffer and play almost immediately.

Interestingly, I have played some of the mp3s on the site on QT and Winamp and they sound quite different. Winamp sounds much better.

There may be a way I can hack the forum software to provide an m3u file instead of the map3 file. That would be a big improvement...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd appreciate m3u's on the forum very much, that would start up winamp for me.

And thanks for your explanation ... I did forget about some details :D

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate to return to this topic, but I've been running QT version 6 and it has working acceptably. However, I have found that it really can't play some mp3 files - especially ones with VBR encoding.

One of our members, Oscilator posted a link to his music on this site. http://www.archive.org/details/FreeOsc41

Try the first file, Trance. Winamp, Real Player, WMP, Quintesential, and VLC all can play it. QuickTime 6.0 player can't. Shocked Crying or Very sad

Now to try QT 7 on my Mac.

EDIT - QT 7 on the MAC can play it.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Thanks for your help. I wish there was another program to use, but...

You are on Firefox, right? On Linux Firefox plays MP3's itself, no plugin needed. Perhaps you could try asigning mp3 to some other plugin or not to any plugin at all. Considdering how many things can play mp3 and that Firefox lets you configure how to open different file types I can't imagine there is any need for QT to get involved if you don't want it to be.

Now; I have to say that Firefox, while it does play mp3, doesn't come with a interface for that so it plays them as soon as they load and untill the end; no fast forward, no rewind, no pause, no nothing. It's not a great example of usability but as a default untill something gets asigned to the task it kinda makes sense.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea what the problem is about. I do however rarely play MP3 files off the web anyway. I usually download the lot and listen to it later.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My QT skips bits of the Trace file as well, well I don't know taht, but it has bits of silence between bits of music and I assume that was not the meant to be so :-)
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If it is art then .. well anyway.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Now; I have to say that Firefox, while it does play mp3, doesn't come with a interface for that so it plays them as soon as they load and untill the end; no fast forward, no rewind, no pause, no nothing. It's not a great example of usability but as a default untill something gets asigned to the task it kinda makes sense.

Well, playing mp3s in "stream" mode (instant play) is pretty critical to me. I can't wait for every mp3 file to load before playing. The QT plugin and Flash are the only way I've found to get this instant play to work. Flash must be configured by the originating server - like Soundclick and some others do. WMP plugin used to support instant play on mp3, but apparently they removed the feature in order to promote the WM formats. Rolling Eyes

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
My QT skips bits of the Trace file as well, well I don't know taht, but it has bits of silence between bits of music and I assume that was not the meant to be so Smile

It's a trance piece that doesn't have pauses. Even if you download the file, QT 6 will put in the pauses. Crying or Very sad

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just an update.

There was an update to QT, now version 7.1. This version plays this piece without the noise. Also, I notice that it is improved in other respects, in particular there are no drop outs when you start to play an MP3 file on that is downloaded. Older versions almost always did this on all of my computers, but the new version almost never does.

Anyway, I'm no longer using QT version 6. I wish the plugin would remember the volume setting between files. Sad

But still, at this point, I think the QT plugin is the best thing for playing mp3s from the web.

OH yes, and that Trance file also plays with no pauses. I guess QT does VBR now too.

Happy Happy Joy Joy...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, my old QT 6 started making clicks a while a go and I switched to QT alternative ... which seems to be just a shell thingy BTW over Apple code, but I'm happy now as well ...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Qt7.x? Does this mean you have iTunes installed again? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Qt7.x? Does this mean you have iTunes installed again? Very Happy

Appl saw the light, remember - meaning QT is avalable as as standalone install again - and it was you pointing that out to us ... I think Shocked

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For completeness, here is a link to the standalone player: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

Maybe they have improved iTunes by this time, but I haven't got the patience to try installing it, especially since at this time I don't really need it.

bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QT (7.0.3)is giving so many clicks/pops/drops that its unusable.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:

Shouldn´t you have at least QT 7.1.5 by now? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
bachus wrote:

Uh yea, thanks that fixed it Embarassed

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don´t tell me you actually drink your tea? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
bachus wrote:

Uh yea, thanks that fixed it Embarassed

Crap I lied! It's still entirely intolerable, yet much better, I mean you can tell what you're listening to. Razz

Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: