electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Newbie advice
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jaron C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Newbie advice
Subject description: New modular user
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, recently I purchased a nord modular v1 for my friend, who has since failed to come up with the money and is now totally avoiding me. I don't really have much experience using synths as I'm a guitarist and am kind of imtimidated by the modular as its nothing like the roland synth i had access to a while back. After doing some research, it seems that it can do quite a bit, but I think i'm a little in over my head. To make matters worse no instruction manual came with the keyboard. Anyway, I'd like to add some synth parts to my songs and this seems like a great synth to use if only I could get started.

My questions, if you would be so kind to help me are

1. can I run the modular on my mac g4 powerbook running OSX 10.3?
2. Was a driver disc/ or software editor disc supposed to be included in
order to run the editor? If not how do I acces it?
3. What sort of cable connections do I need to connect the modular to my computer and how should I set them up?
Thank you for your help ~Jaron
Alexander

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie advice

Quote:
My questions, if you would be so kind to help me are

1. can I run the modular on my mac g4 powerbook running OSX 10.3?
2. Was a driver disc/ or software editor disc supposed to be included in
order to run the editor? If not how do I acces it?
3. What sort of cable connections do I need to connect the modular to my computer and how should I set them up?
Thank you for your help ~Jaron

You'll need a way to communicate between your modular and computer.. a midisport 2x2 does the job perfectly for me and it's a cheap and easy to use usb-device. It provides your computer midi in and out ports, if you don't know anything about a midi I suggest you google it and read a bit into the basics.
The Nord modular comes with a software editor, there's also one for OSX, wich you should be able to find via the www.clavia.se homepage. You connect the pc out port to a midi in and the pc in port to a midi out on your computer and then al you have to do is run the editor and patch till you drop!
The editor is very easy in use and on the clavia website you'll find easy tutorials and I guess reading the manual is always a place to start.

http://www.clavia.se/faq/micro.htm (for the editor)

http://www.clavia.se/products/manuals.htm#nm (the manual)

http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html (tutorials)

Good luck!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Congrats on your new Nord Modular.

Alexander gave you some pretty good advice to get you started. Consider coming to electro-music 2006 - http://event.electro-music.com - where there will be lots of NMs and people who will be glad to talk about them. One of the best NM assest is the user community - and you've already found that. Don't be shy if you have questions - but search before you ask. The answer is probably already out there - you never know. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jaron C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much guys. It was the pc in and out connections that had me the most confused. It looks like I have a lot to learn. Better get started. ; ]
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jaron, congrats on getting that modular and welcome to the forum! If you don't have a manual don't despair! Go to the Clavia website: www.clavia.com, go to the download section and look for the Modular/micromodular manual. You can download it there for free. Just be sure your computer printer has a fresh Tri-color print head cartridge and LOTS of paper 'cause it's a hefty 247 pages. But you need to read the manual.....especially if you're new to synthesis. It will define for you all the modules and what they do PLUS give you a small tutorial to get you started plugging away AND explain all the different synthesis techniques. THEN.....go to the modular tips and tricks tutorials page...http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html
AFTER you read the manual though. Go through all the tutorials there....you'll be busy doing this for a while but stick with it because soon light bulbs will be flashing over your head with all the possibilities on the modular. I'm a guitarist originally and then I got a Nord Lead 2 and then the micromodular and have been working on learning it now for about 2 months. It's very complex........but if you can learn it you'll grasp synthesis in a big way! Plus if you get stuck you can post your patch on this site and get feedback from the gurus. Good luck and good reading!

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
stoneyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject:  Connect Modular V1 to macbook Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
to the same issue:
The Modular has a Midi port (I/O) and a PC port (I/O)
I would assume that I would need a midi interface with at least 2 ins and 2 outs if you wanna run it properly then, if I need MIDI functionality and Patch editing.
Is that true?
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Connect Modular V1 to macbook Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stoneyman wrote:
... Is that true?

Completely true!

Wout
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie advice

Jaron C wrote:
... recently I purchased a nord modular v1 ... I don't really have much experience using synths as I'm a guitarist ...

You didn't wrote which Modular you have: Key, Rack or Micro.
Remember, the Modular has two audio in connections, so you can plug in your guitar too! A D-I box would be handy concerning the low input gain.
The Micro hasn't got a Control pedal input, the two othres have, so you can connect a pedal to control a lot of effects to your guitar.

Wout
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
... you need to read the manual.....especially if you're new to synthesis.

I think even if you have been doing analog modular synthesis for 30 years you need to read the manual. Wink

These things are much more than emulations of analog synthesizers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: