electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
How to get inspiration?
Page 11 of 12 [280 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
nobody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just cleaning the kitchen in preparation for a house-sitter (who does not need to see our normal every day mess) who will be here while the better half and I blow town for a week. I guess those chemical cleaners are an inspiration because I just thought of this:

For lyrical/song inspiration, use the script of your favourite movie. So you could, using "Hollywood Homicide" for inspiration, have a song that goes:

Hey, cop! What about that house?
Still working on it!
I'll go 6.5!
Not a penny mo'!
*extreme guitar riff*
(chorus)
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Kruge

Location: Bonn, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse etc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bloody hellfire!

I just noticed that I kicked of quite the busy thread with this topic, cool! Smile

I'll have to sit down and read a *lot*, wow!

monkeylizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all. I hope you don't mind a n00b jumping in on the thread uninvited.

I have a similar problem to the one Kruge mentioned in the first post (which I hope is solved now seeing as that was over 5 years ago!). After reading all of the very interesting responses, though, I think my situation may be of a slightly different nature (but hopefully closely enough related not to take this off-topic).

I think I'm suffering from a lack of originality (or realistic expectations).

I can (normally) quite happily sit in front of my keyboard or with a guitar, make noises for a while and come up with something that I'm satisfied with. But sooner or later, the thought strikes me that what I've done is too derivative. I'm not talking about ripping off melodies or anything to that extent, but I always get the feeling that someone else has been there and done that already. Consequently, everything gets abandoned; nothing gets completed.

What I seem to want is for every time I try to create something for it to hit me with the same of wonder and astonishment as the first time I heard, say, Coil, Autechre or Aphex Twin. I appreciate that this is completely unrealistic as a) some artists are regarded as pioneers in their field for a reason, and b) not even they create something original every time.

Conversely, I'm afraid (maybe too strong a word but you get the idea) to try anything radically different from what I normally do in case it's a complete failure. It's got to the point where I (almost) don't want to make music (something I've been doing in one form or another for around 30 years).

I'm not asking for the Holy Grail of "How can I be more original?". I think what I'm asking is for thoughts as to how be a bit more realistic and (as difficult as it may be) accept that sometimes things are going to turn out more paint-by-numbers than Picasso.

Thanks for listening.
Kruge

Location: Bonn, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse etc...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
I was just cleaning the kitchen in preparation for a house-sitter (who does not need to see our normal every day mess) who will be here while the better half and I blow town for a week. I guess those chemical cleaners are an inspiration because I just thought of this:

For lyrical/song inspiration, use the script of your favourite movie. So you could, using "Hollywood Homicide" for inspiration, have a song that goes:

Hey, cop! What about that house?
Still working on it!
I'll go 6.5!
Not a penny mo'!
*extreme guitar riff*
(chorus)
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!
Not a pen-NEE MO'!

Lol, I like that!

smething Rammstein-Like:

throw me the whip - throw me the idol!

Yaaaaah!

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monkeylizard wrote:
Hello all. I hope you don't mind a n00b jumping in on the thread uninvited.

That's my favourite thing - someone previously unknown jumping in and adding to the discussions!
Quote:

I can (normally) quite happily sit in front of my keyboard or with a guitar, make noises for a while and come up with something that I'm satisfied with. But sooner or later, the thought strikes me that what I've done is too derivative. I'm not talking about ripping off melodies or anything to that extent, but I always get the feeling that someone else has been there and done that already. Consequently, everything gets abandoned; nothing gets completed.

I sometimes try to complete stuff even though I know it won't lead to anything - to get it out of my system. That way, I can forget about it when it's completed and move on to the next thing.
Quote:

What I seem to want is for every time I try to create something for it to hit me with the same of wonder and astonishment as the first time I heard, say, Coil, Autechre or Aphex Twin. I appreciate that this is completely unrealistic as a) some artists are regarded as pioneers in their field for a reason, and b) not even they create something original every time.

c) it's hard to look upon stuff that you've done yourself in the same way you look upon the finished work of others. I sometimes feel that knowing the nuts and bolts in the machinery lessens the experience when listening. If I don't listen to it for some time (best is to do an other project in between), coming back to it will usually give new light on the work, showing what I previously didn't appreciate and stuff that can be changed.
Quote:

Conversely, I'm afraid (maybe too strong a word but you get the idea) to try anything radically different from what I normally do in case it's a complete failure. It's got to the point where I (almost) don't want to make music (something I've been doing in one form or another for around 30 years).

Have you tried not touching your music tools for a week, a month or even half a year (if that's what it takes) and then picking them up again? Might give some new energy.
Quote:

I'm not asking for the Holy Grail of "How can I be more original?". I think what I'm asking is for thoughts as to how be a bit more realistic and (as difficult as it may be) accept that sometimes things are going to turn out more paint-by-numbers than Picasso.

Thanks for listening.

Those are all valid concerns, and well articulated. Since you've been at it for longer than me, I may not have said anything here you haven't though of.

Personally i'm quite comfortable with not being original, I even try to explicitly imitate stuff that I know every now and then - that sometimes gives the unexpected benefit of discovering something new! For me that's what it's about when music is concerned - being happy about what I do and not doing stuff that I don't feel like doing - if I don't want to do music one day/week I'll turn on the TV or video game instead. But then again, I don't do this for a living, it's all bedroom hobby noodlings.

/Stefan

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

Personally i'm quite comfortable with not being original, I even try to explicitly imitate stuff that I know every now and then...

It's already hard to imitate well...never mind being original Exclamation
But that really does not matter. I think it's wrong starting something saying: "today I'll do something it has never done before". Forget about it. Start working then you'll see what happened. Enjoy the process, forget the results Exclamation Am I brilliant or what Question Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Monkeylizard, great post. It's almost as if I had written that myself.

I think Antimon and Seraph have some good points.

I think these feelings are lack of self confidence, and it works both ways. If you are trying to make music in a particular style, you might always judge the music as not good enough, not exactly right. Then if you try something original, you beat yourself up for not been all that original.

I may have mentioned this before, but what has helped me is to learn to appreciate other peoples' music, especially people who are involved in this community. My tendency it to find fault in other peoples' music as well as my own. For some reason, I've been able to let go of the criticism and really digg others' music, and to outwardly express my warmest appreciation.

Here on the forum and at the electro-music events, I try to encourage everyone. That has a selfish benefit of helping me appreciate myself.

The music industry has been very bad at this. They have hit parades, top 10, music awards, best sellers, hall of fame, American Idol, and all that shit. It is based on selling stuff to people who don't know what they like. It is so prevalent that we start to think that it is Truth. It's not, it's bullshit. I think it's harmful.

Our community is about making music for the love of it, not for profit, acceptance, or popularity.

If you can come to an upcoming electro-music.com event, I'm sure you'll pick that up and you'll start to appreciate your own music, and that of the rest of us. At least I hope so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnL

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been reading this thread for quite a while, and it is clear that it has lasted this long because every single one of us struggles with these issues. I haven't really felt I had anything new to add, but some of what monkeylizard wrote resonated with my own typical creative problem, which is that inspiration is fairly easy, but completion is hard.

monkeylizard wrote:

But monkeylizard's posts also reminded me of a couple of good pieces of advice I have gotten from musical mentors over the years. One comes from a long forgotten source, maybe even a book that I studied from years ago when I was first learning to play guitar. At the time, I was trying to learn to play acoustic country blues from the 30's (and the 60's folk revival thereof), people like Rev. Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, et al. The advice was roughly this: Go ahead and copy, and be derivative because you won't be able to help sounding like yourself, and better yet, your heros copied each other, too, and they ended up being originals! And true to this prediction, most of my music 35 years on sounds nothing like where I started, though those roots continue to inform every note I play. Robert Johnson never heard a Grateful Dead space-jam (though he certainly influenced them...) or a Javanese gamelan, but they both influenced me every bit as much as he did.

The second piece of advice comes from the English folk guitarist Martin Simpson, an amazing instrumental wizard on acoustic guitar who gave me my first formal lessons after I had been playing for 30+ years. His first piece of advice to students is that when you pick up your instrument (or turn on your computer) for the first time of the day, don't start right in on that piece you worked so hard on yesterday--play something that you have never played before, a new piece or an improvisation. This helps keep you fresh, and lets you look at what you were working on with fresh eyes once you get back to it.

I think that in part I am passing on this advice to remind myself to pay attention to it. But in truth, what generally makes me finish something is a deadline where other people (bandmates, a theater director, a friend making a film) are depending on me.

Finally, this is my first time posting to a forum. I'll probably make a few mistakes with software and customs, so I apologize in advance.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JohnL wrote:
what generally makes me finish something is a deadline...

it reminds me of a famous quote by Duke Ellington saying something like: "I don't need time, I need a deadline"

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
monkeylizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to get back to me - it's very much appreciated.

I don't start any session with the specific aim of creating something that's never been done before. It's just that at some point in the process (anything from minutes to weeks) the feeling hits me that what I've done isn't good enough (for whatever reason).

I hope my last post didn't come across as trying to belittle what anyone else does. As mosc stated, what we do should be for the love of it and I sincerely hope that's what everyone gets from what they do. And that's exactly what I'm not getting from it at the moment which is why it seems pointless.

I just need to learn how to be less harsh on myself. Shame I have no idea how to do that...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monkeylizard wrote:
I just need to learn how to be less harsh on myself. Shame I have no idea how to do that...

Try this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psycho-Cybernetics-Maltz/dp/0671700758/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239033601&sr=1-2

It has worked wonders for many people that I know, including me. No theology or new world philosophy; more scientific. Used by lots of professional sports teams and such. I'm very serious.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Octahedra

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
They have hit parades, top 10, music awards, best sellers, hall of fame, American Idol, and all that shit. It is based on selling stuff to people who don't know what they like.

Yep - definitely agreeing here. That's market forces. Rolling Eyes

Everybody pays the same for their copy of an album regardless of how much they like it and whether they still play it 20 years later. That in itself is fine, but it makes things too easy for these idiots - sales are the only measure of popularity they're interested in, and popularity the only measure of quality.

So the industry keeps churning out the same disposable mainstream noise that millions of people find only-just-interesting-enough to pay for. Not quality original music that makes a profound impression on those who do understand it. I'm not being elitist there - if all possible music were available and easy to find, everyone could find their niche! But this whole system works against diversity.

monkeylizard wrote:
I always get the feeling that someone else has been there and done that already. Consequently, everything gets abandoned; nothing gets completed.

Do you play your recordings (finished or not) to other people and see whether they notice the similarity to other music? They might surprise you with who they think your influences are.

Years ago, pretty much all my ideas came from hearing other people's music but I would never admit to myself how much I was trying to imitate. As I got better at it, it became obvious what I was borrowing. But in the process I'd also discovered techniques of my own, and got a feel for melodies and chord progressions which all composers should have. So I reckon learning to imitate can be good for you, if you know when you're doing it!

Another thing that seems important is how to spot a good idea before it's developed enough actually to sound good. This is one you can probably never stop learning - there'll always be something new to try, with unexpected consequences. I had a bit of a failure a couple of months back. But it's worth it in the end.

Gordon
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:
Subject description: How to get time?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How to get time to work on inspirations is the flip side of this problem. I suppose, if I had time to worry about it, I'd get writer's block. But by the time I have time to work, I usually have ideas to work on.

The Ellington quote is right. I had to perform two original Brazilian-patterned pieces on acoustic banjo, co-written with my university's world percussion ensemble, a Baion and a Bossa Nova. The Baion I had nailed from the start -- the fact that I was sitting outside one day playing this pattern without knowing it as the percussion prof walked by did not hurt. But I could not get my fingers and head to play the Bossa Nova.

Then we started running out of time, and the ensemble was going to be traveling and I wouldn't see them for a month, so I finally dragged a laptop in and recorded one of the practice sessions. I later just started free associating with the headphones on, and the piece worked out so well that the prof named it Parsonova in the concert program. What had been threatening to be the dud for me was perhaps the better piece, because the deadline forced me to get serious about it, the unfamiliarity helped make it fresh, and free association pulled the finger pattern, melody and harmony out of the air. Good old schedule pressure.

monkeylizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for all the thoughts - and apologies for taking this thread slightly off-topic and turning it into a personal therapy session.

mosc - the book looks very interesting. I intend to check it out as soon as possible.

Octahedra - I tend not to play any of my stuff to anyone, finished or not. Partly this is down to the fact that I do what I do to please myself and no one else. Although there's probably an element of wanting to avoid criticism in there as well (not that I'd want to admit that to myself, obviously).

Just reading over this thread a few times had helped a bit already. I made an effort to do a few things in the creative process differently last night. Not sure if I'd say the session was successful, but I haven't deleted everything from my hard drive... yet. Laughing
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, posting music on the forum is going to provide you with maybe the most agreeable audience you might ever get.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Well, posting music on the forum is going to provide you with maybe the most agreeable audience you might ever get.

Oh yeah, I created some horribly selfish angst about hating the world and being attacked by it, and folks here even loved that stuff, haha! (I still listen to it now and then...)

monkeylizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Shocked

I don't think my therapy has progressed far enough for that just yet...

And besides, I'd have to actually finish something first Smile
abreaktor

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have yet to see that "most agreeable audience" ... hehe. maybe its because i dont deal in noodles. but ive got great feedback and direct help on other fora, and especially on soundcloud, so publishing your music is the way to go imho. in my case, it lead more or less directly to a contract with a berlin-based electronica label, ill spam ya with ads when the release is due. hehe.

anyway, that discussion about originality leaves me a bit baffled. i am now well 5 months in the "business" and at the beginning i sounded like another boards-of-canada-clone (lots of younger electronica artitst seem to start out that way, and a lot get stuck there). for some strange reason, i found my original style very very fast (after 3 months, methinks). even if i do a minimal track (not minimal music, minimal techno), it has a distinct abreaktor sound.

i dont WANT the tracks to be original in any way, they just turn out to be like that. otoh, if you DONT have a distinct sound/composition/whatever - well, i dont really have a question there, but it is kinda strange. does it make you more of an interpreter than a composer? (i only play instruments if the need arises, to resample them, so i dont really have experience in the problematics of rehearsing etc)

cheers!

edit @ acoustic interloper: i SO dont get your signature. help a non-anglophone out by explaining it?

edit2:

mosc wrote:
monkeylizard wrote:

Try this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psycho-Cybernetics-Maltz/dp/0671700758/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239033601&sr=1-2

It has worked wonders for many people that I know, including me. No theology or new world philosophy; more scientific. Used by lots of professional sports teams and such. I'm very serious.

very interesting book. otoh, i dont exactly dig people who want to escape pressure and THINK it will do them good.

my advice would be: press yourself as hard as possible, so you get used to it. can be really rewarding in terms of artistic ideas. anyway, if you really have got something to say (artistically, musically etc), it doesnt exactly matter how you live your life, deal with pressure etc, you will finally get there.

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abreaktor wrote:
edit @ acoustic interloper: i SO dont get your signature. help a non-anglophone out by explaining it?

It goes back to a collision of Mosc's observation that Minimalist music can be "like listening to washing machines -- I like listening to old washing machines," reading Steve Reich's essays, and a short story my daughter Sierra wrote about a girl who gets hypnotized, apparently, by listening to the ordinary machines around her.

There's a quick home recording of it here, and I also performed it at EM2008, to the "Bravo!" of Mosc at the end, for which I was very grateful.

Make sure to listen at least through 11:30 into the piece, when Sierra comes on. This may explain the sig.

Thanks for asking.

JohnL

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, "Ordinary Machinery" is a VERY nice piece that sounds like little else--a perfect example of how many influences plus personal creativity lead to something new.
--John
abreaktor

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you for the explanation interloper! also, aver y enjoyable listen.

edit: great music there. also, i cannot reconnect to the chat. odd

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abreaktor wrote:
thank you for the explanation interloper! also, aver y enjoyable listen.

edit: great music there. also, i cannot reconnect to the chat. odd

You are welcome! Glad you liked it.

The Chat has that problems sometimes during webcasts when busy. Usually one must just try again later.

Take care.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abreaktor wrote:
also, i cannot reconnect to the chat. odd

Mibbit still plays up I guess ... the chat itself works fine ... I just tested Mibbit to work as well Rolling Eyes Will keep an eye open ...

Fernando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I compiled a list of youtube available music pieces to explain friends what is electroacoustic music, XXth century contemporary music, etc.
and which kind of music composition I studied.
It may be inspiring for some:

~ Electroacoustic, electronic and (back then) experimental music from XXth century ~

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZtOH8oRctDVnmgqMo7fxLtA1LbpcoZIc

Bertsbeats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to get inspiration? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kruge wrote:
Shocked

Hi there!

I've got a problem and maybe here's someone to help me:

I haven't made any new music for quite a long time, I guess it's about over 12 months now, and before that there was allmost nothing for a long time too.

In early 2003 I bought myself some new equippment, hoping that might light up the fire of creativity again.

Now I finally got myself a really nice Mixer, a K2000 and some other additional stuff and... Nothing.

Actually I haven't turned on the studio even once except to connect the new devices and check them.

And it's not that I don't have any ideas going on - actually I've got some pretty good constructs in my head how to use this sound and that, I'm planning tunes. Only that there seems to be a kind of barricade in front of the "Power On" switch of my instruments, something mental.

Has anyone got any idea what I might do to break the ice once more?

[editor's note: corrected spelling of inspriation in the title line --mosc 5-19-05]

What inspires me and what be a good inspirational tool is to really just turn on your favorite drum machine and. Start to just audition ,and jam with different beats ,chord progressions
Until you come up with something you like.

It may not work for you but,when i get stuck i do this although it may take some time before you find something i like.

Another way is to listen to some of your favorite musicians or artist and come up with some inspiration that way.

Page 11 of 12 [280 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: