electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
some music to checkout
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: some music to checkout Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am new to this forum. i am looking for a group of electronic musicians to grow with. It's a little hard finding the right community. My stuff is a little dense and classical for the really dance-oriented crowd. At the same time, i reject (for myself alone, not others) music that is sheer drone or noise and seems to be at odds with any sort of classical tonal structure. Here is an example of one of my tracks. does this fit in here or no? let me know your thoughts.

Click here to watch Loki-66
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome majutsu, great to have you here...

Nice track. There is a large variety of styles here and I don't think you should worry about not fitting in from a stylistic perspective. It's hard to define music with words. I'm not sure everyone would agree this is dense and for me it is very dance oriented because of the ostinato beat. That said, it has very nice sounds and textures. Very nice... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
majutsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol mosc, i actually knew you were going to respond first. i am actually here because of an old post you made. about a month ago i was pretty stuck creatively and did a google search on the topic. it turned up a post of yours talking about music being created having an effect already on the rest of the world even prior to being heard commercially. this moved me. also you spoke of many people's worship of bob dylan being clearly somewhat ludicrous and empty now that he is a burn-out. this point made a big impact on me, and helped me to move on. so i came back here now Smile
as to the "complex" thing, that's what the dance community says. good stuff, well produced, "too many notes". I don't see it either. I just try to write pretty, moving songs i like.

the experimental crew in many areas always says, "too linear, too dancy, too melodic"

i swear, you can't win for tryin' . . . .

i try to ignore the comments of others, but then again, feedback is the only way i've improved from sheer crap to near crap. (I started in january btw, but being play all instruments and styles, especially classical and jazz, since 13, now 36)

i just want to have a community of musicians to grow a little out of stagnancy.

thanks for the welcome. i'm going to look around now and see what's up. thx. nice to meet you.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to have written something that your found inspiring. Not sure what it was though.

Quote:
also you spoke of many people's worship of bob dylan being clearly somewhat ludicrous and empty now that he is a burn-out.

I would be interested if you can point to that post because I'm still a huge Dylan fan. I don't think I would call him a burn-out.

Quote:
as to the "complex" thing, that's what the dance community says. good stuff, well produced, "too many notes". I don't see it either. I just try to write pretty, moving songs i like.

the experimental crew in many areas always says, "too linear, too dancy, too melodic"

Yes, I can see that. The problems come when people want you to make music like they make, or like. One of the values of this site is to get over that limited perspective and to accept music of different styles.

Quote:
i try to ignore the comments of others, but then again, feedback is the only way i've improved from sheer crap to near crap. (I started in january btw, but being play all instruments and styles, especially classical and jazz, since 13, now 36)

Well, I think we've all felt the devastation of a negative comment, even when we are committed to ignore such things. This makes many of us reluctant to say anything that might possibly be considered negative. Thus, appreciation and encouragement are the best, as far as I'm concerned.

When feeling stuck and discouraged, a great thing to do is support and encourage others. Most of us are harder on ourselves than we are on others, so providing encouragement for others is a win/win because it will eventually rub off on ourselves. Idea

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well, I think we've all felt the devastation of a negative comment, even when we are committed to ignore such things

as a teacher of music i find it frustrates students occasionally when nothing is said.

comments from a particular person are only valuable when you realise what musical perspective they come from.

if you are trying to write music that sounds like "electro", go to electroalliance.net.

if you're trying to write a piece of music that sounds like autechre, go to an autechre fansite forum.

if you write music with no conception of where it's supposed to fit, other than you want the production to have some kind of integrity, then i think you'll love electro-music.com
majutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stanley Pain wrote:

if you write music with no conception of where it's supposed to fit, other than you want the production to have some kind of integrity, then i think you'll love electro-music.com

sounds good! i like the values of trance. and i have this whole conception of melody as a metaphor for existence. so i very much value structured, western art music. all this is at this time NOW. not guaranteed for any other Wink i've been up, down and around a few genres, especially the more experimental ones in the past. maybe it's a part of middle age approaching, but classical (which i've always hated except for playing several recitals out of a sense of duty) now appeals to me greatly. avant-garde jazz and bepob (part martino, pass etc) which filled my teen and twenties, seems like empty simple fluff now. same with avant-guard music, my obsession of my early thirties. my rock years were before my late teens. now i enjoy the challenge of making a statement within unadorned modality and tonality. it's amazing hard and rewarding to make a melody hold all interest. i am also interested in how the average man and advanced have been shown in studies to essentially walk away from a piece with the melody. i think it relates back to the earliest music being a single voice and maybe hand clapping -- rhythm and melody. i love new music that eschews melody and focuses on texture or some other element. but i want to make music. that's just me.

mosc, here is the thread that inspired me. much appreciated to all who participated.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-253-75.html
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, that thread...

Well, I certainly didn't say Dylan was a burn-out. Smile

That is a good topic though. Now that you mentioned it in this post, I bet it will come back to life for a bit. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: