electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Trance by numbers
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Trance by numbers
Subject description: more semi random music... .prf for expanded G2's/G2X's only, but .mp3 also.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

THIS PATCH ONLY WORKS CORRECTLY ON EXPANDED G2'S/G2X'S - SORRY UNEXPANDERS... GET EXPANDED!! Very Happy

I've been working on this one for a while... it's actually quite difficult and CPU expensive getting random music to sound less random. Well, here's how it works:

The bass notes (green, FX slot D) are quantized random notes, then the upper notes are all given different quantized random notes that they are allowed to play depending on the current bass note. The red modules are the notes the main sound are allowed to play and the yellow ones are for the higher band pass sound. These values are fed into busses and the other sounds use combinations of them.

Different sounds have different on/off cycles (all multiples of 4 so they switch on and off with other sounds). There are bundles of combinations that unfold over time. Some sounds also have further randomisation in when they sound, ie. extra claps.

Well, that's about it... it's not brilliant because the notes are random after all, but every now and again it plays several bars that really work well. It does get stuck/repeating notes sometimes, but that can also work occasionally. It's been interesting creating it, but I may leave the random modules for other duties from now on... but you never know. Haha, I think I'm making it sound crap, so I'll just shut up now. Embarassed

The usual long .mp3 is attached for unexpanded users. Have fun Very Happy

Trance by numbers example.mp3
 Description:
Trance by numbers example .mp3 - Semi random trance

Download
 Filename:  Trance by numbers example.mp3
 Filesize:  5.08 MB
 Downloaded:  1567 Time(s)

TranceByNumbers.prf2
 Description:
Trance by numbers patch - Semi random trance. ONLY WORKS CORRECTLY ON EXPANDED G2'S/G2X'S

Download
 Filename:  TranceByNumbers.prf2
 Filesize:  31.22 KB
 Downloaded:  2037 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk

Last edited by sheridan on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work. Excellent... cheers too much coffee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really like trance, but your random algorithms are very musical. I'd say that your mp3 recording of this patch is alot better than most of the amatuer trance efforts out there. Fantastic work Very Happy
Petr Serkin

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent sound! Congratulations Smile
Ivity

G2 patch files: 57

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well done Outstanding!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, polished, complete.
Chrisi

G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, this is very cool, good work, meanwhile i dream of an
expansion... Rolling Eyes !!!!
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't believe my G2X is playing the music i'm listening right now. The sound quality is excellent.

Smile
Luca

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afro88 wrote:
I don't really like trance, but your random algorithms are very musical. I'd say that your mp3 recording of this patch is alot better than most of the amatuer trance efforts out there. Fantastic work Very Happy

My thoughts exactly!

sheridan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys. Very Happy

darwen

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you mean when you tell that this performance don't work with non expansed g2 , because it works well on my G2 non expansed.
it is a good work i love it very much , your site is good too . Very Happy
darwen

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok i listen your mp3 and i suppose i have not all of the sound we heard on it in the performance . I answered to this topic to fast Embarassed
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Thanks for the heads up... I've ammended the post, including the words 'only works correctly on expanded...'. No more confusion. Very Happy

FFF (Frog From France)

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trance by numbers
Subject description: more semi random music... .prf for expanded G2's/G2X's only, but .mp3 also.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
THIS PATCH ONLY WORKS CORRECTLY ON EXPANDED G2'S/G2X'S - SORRY UNEXPANDERS... GET EXPANDED!! Very Happy

I've been working on this one for a while... it's actually quite difficult and CPU expensive getting random music to sound less random. Well, here's how it works:

The bass notes (green, FX slot D) are quantized random notes, then the upper notes are all given different quantized random notes that they are allowed to play depending on the current bass note. The red modules are the notes the main sound are allowed to play and the yellow ones are for the higher band pass sound. These values are fed into busses and the other sounds use combinations of them.

Different sounds have different on/off cycles (all multiples of 4 so they switch on and off with other sounds). There are bundles of combinations that unfold over time. Some sounds also have further randomisation in when they sound, ie. extra claps.

Well, that's about it... it's not brilliant because the notes are random after all, but every now and again it plays several bars that really work well. It does get stuck/repeating notes sometimes, but that can also work occasionally. It's been interesting creating it, but I may leave the random modules for other duties from now on... but you never know. Haha, I think I'm making it sound crap, so I'll just shut up now. Embarassed

The usual long .mp3 is attached for unexpanded users. Have fun Very Happy

Very good job Sheridan !
a french frog Wink
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes well done Sheridan Very Happy

I too am not a fan of this kind of trance, but I reckon a quick tweek to the rhythm, a quick replacement of those more 'obvious' sounds and a removal altogether of all those snare rushes (Laughing) and one could easily be the next Maurizio Cool

(I could hear elements to Maurizio in there.)

EDIT- Embarassed revival of old topics? tut! silly me Embarassed I'm getting lazy hehe- too much traffic on E-M!!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Revival of old topics is a good thing. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dunno if Sheridan comes here anymore, but anyway the mp3 recording here (along with other Sheridan trance tracks) is currently being played by DrSteve on the radio, sparking some 90s rave nostalgia. Great stuff! Smile
sheridan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Dunno if Sheridan comes here anymore, but anyway the mp3 recording here (along with other Sheridan trance tracks) is currently being played by DrSteve on the radio, sparking some 90s rave nostalgia. Great stuff! Smile

Although I have no time to play with my G2 at present, I do occasionally visit still. Smile I didn't know that, thanks, have you got any more information?

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:

Although I have no time to play with my G2 at present, I do occasionally visit still. Smile

Great to have you here! banana banana banana

sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Great to have you here! banana banana banana

Hey Howard, it's great to be here too! Smile

Music is where my heart is at, so I do plan on returning here with more patches one day. Since I posted my last patch, I've gone and re-studied, changed my career to be a software developer and virtually worked my way up to be a senior developer. So, although I've been absent due to my extreme lack of free time, I'm hoping that that will all change in the next year or so.

I'm looking forward to the time when I have free time again!! Smile

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Software developer; that's what most physicists, chemists, engineers, musicians, philosophers, anything else that's hard to make a living at, turn into eventually.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:

Although I have no time to play with my G2 at present, I do occasionally visit still. Smile I didn't know that, thanks, have you got any more information?

Great to see that you're still here! Very Happy

About the tracks, there are a couple of regular weekly shows on the shoutcast stream here, some live performances and some dj:ing stuff that's been posted here at electro-music.com. One is "Organised Sound" by Dr Steve on sundays, and he played a bunch of your tracks yesterday, to everyone's delight.

There's a thread about the show here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-45174.html

Another software developer here by the way! Smile

sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Antimon, that's really interesting, maybe I'll try and give it a listen some time. Thanks, fellow Dev. Wink

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
..,he played a bunch of your tracks yesterday, to everyone's delight.

yep that was fun Very Happy,. very nice stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see you are still alive Sheridan, I was thinking about your thunder patch the other day strangely enough.
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Jump to: