electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subject description: so you don't know what your are doing but you want to build a Sound Lab....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is in regards to a thoseRECORDS.com - Egon Box - Geiger Counter Sound Lab Beast.

ok....
after 3 weeks of messing with all the soldering and other hoo haa....

i finally applied power to the beast and....
it made noiz!!!

even hooked it up to my CP-251 and it started to controll it!!!!!!

i totally expected it to not do anything or just smoke.

i have never built anything this complex.
ever!

so...

a few tips for the solder by numbers peeps out there like myself....

1) go slow and don't rush soldering those caps and diodes and all that jazz. otherwise.......have that DE-soldering gun handy. i had to do that once or twice. ugh....

2) i used the styrofoam lid to a small disposable cooler and made a layout just like the one on the Sound Lab website for all the pots and switches. i just punched them all into the styrofoam and wired away.

3) get a sharpie marker and lable ALL of those pots and switches! just write the number right on them.

4) double check which pot and switch goes where on the Geiger Counter box. if there are two switches that are linked together and one switch is on the left side and one is on the right you are going to need some extra wire there between them. i was short the distance on a couple of pots and switches and had to go and splice some extra length. a real drag...

5) to find out what pot or switch has which function you will need to look at the manual. just look at the box drawings for each section then go to the circuit diagram for that section and you will find the pot or switch name. i wrote all these out in the manual. maybe i can post it online.

6) AUDIO INPUT - 1st of all... don't go looking for that in the circuit or in the manual. it's just not in there. it's only online. here is more info....(per Ryan) just take the TIP connection to about a 10K-200K resistor and connect that to the pcb at any point between the connection to R30 and R33. Ground it to all the other input jacks.

7) POWER with external power supply - (per Ryan) any 9VDC power adaptor will work.....but you have to add a very easy circuit to get it to give you the +/-9VDC needed for the soundlab. Here is a link to that connection.....instead of using one battery like suggested, just replace that with the power adaptor:

http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_-9.htm

8. MAKING THE GEIGER METER DO SOMETHING - you can just wire it to the power so it's a battery meter. i wanted it to do a little more than that so Ryan suggested this: i think the best way to go about it is to connect the meter up to the output with a 1M pot connected inbetween. change the value of the pot until you see the reaction you want and then measure the pot resistance.......then you can change the pot with that value of resistor.

(i still need to try that)

so there ya go....
from someone who doesn't really know to much about wiring anything to anything.

but i did learn quite a few things!!!!

now to go order some skull knobs for the beast!!!

and...
a bajillion thanks to Ryan for putting up with all my questions!!!!

more noiz!!!!!!!!!

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Troupe Music Director
DOGGEBI
morgue city
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:  Hooray fer noiz! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Outstanding there Mister Spike! Glad to hear that it worked well for ya.
Now, share us some samples of the beast in action eh? Can't wait to hear what it will sound like in your inventive hands.

Dan
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, pics too! Always nice to see, ..or I mean hear, or eeerrmm, ...read about a successful build! Congrats!!
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well done Spike,
Welcome to electro-music.com! Smile
I reckon the best implementation of the meter would be across the LFO output. Then it would pulse up and down with each LFO cycle. Use a version of the LED driver circuit on Ray's site, but don't forget that you'll need a resistor inline with the meter. Start with a 10Kpot and slowly wind it down until it looks good. Be very careful, cos full current to that meter's coil would probably blow it!

lanxe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet!!!!

its always good to hear about successful builds.

When it works, it just makes me want to build more and more!

Thanks
Ryan

By the way......
www.thoserecords.com/egon.htm
is down for a while longer. we slept on the bill........should be back up soon.
please email all questions and/or orders for a kit to bocookdot7@yahoo.com

we have a few left at $149
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Subject description: so you don't know what your are doing but you want to build a Sound Lab....
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
this is in regards to a thoseRECORDS.com - Egon Box - Geiger Counter Sound Lab Beast.

ok....
after 3 weeks of messing with all the soldering and other hoo haa....

6) AUDIO INPUT - 1st of all... don't go looking for that in the circuit or in the manual. it's just not in there. it's only online. here is more info....(per Ryan) just take the TIP connection to about a 10K-200K resistor and connect that to the pcb at any point between the connection to R30 and R33. Ground it to all the other input jacks.

and...
a bajillion thanks to Ryan for putting up with all my questions!!!!

more noiz!!!!!!!!!

I am struggling with the Audio Input jack issue.

I am building the "Egon Box" Geiger Counter version. I cannot figure out where to connect the Audio Input jack? I do not understand what you mean by "connect that to the pcb at any point between the connection to R30 and R33"??

Could someone draw me a picture? Or point me to a picture? Please? Pretty please?

R30 and R33 are resistors right next to each other on one side they are both connected to the same strip, on the other side they go to R29 and R38 (Pots)

Any help please?

Cheers
bob c
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Connect to the point where they are connected to each other. (don't forget to go through a 100K resistor first)
Chrometuna

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Connect to the point where they are connected to each other. (don't forget to go through a 100K resistor first)

OK, so I guess this means drilling a new hole in the circuit board? yuck.

And another question: The soundlab will make noises and sounds without anything else plugged into it, right? I can start squeeking and squawking with nothing but the soundlab (And an amp)?

Cheers
bob c
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, you don't need to drill a hole. Just spot solder straight onto the solder pad which is already there.
Yep, plug into your amp and start playing around. Keep in mind that it can take a while to learn exactly how to use every control properly. There are times when it will make no sound at all, if you set it up that way. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.
Even if you know analogue synths well, I'd still play around for an hour before deciding whether it's all wired up correctly. (I had a switch back to front for over a month without realising it!)

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: