electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
ChucK is here -- the future is now
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: ChucK is here -- the future is now Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, chucK is very cool I must say. It's a lot like supercollider except in the way it handles time. the language is very similar. I used this:
http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/forums.html/ChucK/WinXP_Install_and_Run

to get the xp version flying. You can get the mac or linux versions here:

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

You can also get the manual and installation guides here.

Last time i tried ChucK, i didn't have enough experience with OOPL, but now it's a snap. Very fun indeed.

It's advantages are that we would all use the same language whether on mac, linux, or pc. We can all share patches! Also, it can do all kinds of crazy things with multiple scripts, live coding etc. Furthermore, documentation is very thorough, universal and all in one place. Disadvantages include the absence of GUI control. Although there is that VM machine version in the early, early stages, but it's already got three different versions for each os. They talk about GL consolidation, but it probably will continue to diverge, as it's especially graphics that are handled differently in each of the os. Maybe we should just stick to text for maximum freedom and communication anyway. Also, it seems to have more limited functions that sc3 by far at this point. In summary, I really like it! very cool

I need to look into these joypads, as i don't have one yet. i will check it out and your patch! any other chucK patches you got?

Maybe we should have a chucK forum. I'm down for it. I would probably bounce back between sc3 and chucK.

thanks kassen for pointing it out. very awesome.

Last edited by majutsu on Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I vote for a ChucK forum, as well, since, like you, I'll be using both.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should ChucK and SC maybe be together in a forum with a name like "music(al) programming", "algorithmic ... something" or any better name (which should be easy ...) ?

Although there seems to be enough difference between the two to justify two fora, I also expect a lot of "sameness"; both in people participating, be it actively or passively, and in subjects being touched. So I guess some structuring could be applied here.

I'd love to see some ChucK activity here, I'm interested in it and just hope that someone will be able to talk me into this mysterious "now" thing (WTF is it Twisted Evil ... I'm clearly confused again Very Happy ).

majutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was considering "real-time sound synthesis programming incl. sc3, chucK" but it sounded unwieldy. I couldn't think of a nice tag. "program languages" includes max, pd and things for which there are forums. i think it belongs together since the same people like both. how about "supercollider and chucK"? it's not unifying them in any concept, but it's accurate for sure Laughing
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's fine with me. Wherever posible I'd be delighted to answer simple questions here but I'd like to point out that there is a very good ChucK mailing list as well. If you'll be coding in ChucK you realy need to join that because it will save signifficant amounts of headache.

Right now it's fairly likely that a larger ChucK project will run into bugs. That need not be a problem because they often get fixed quickly but I'd like to warn that it's likely that you'll run into one at some point and will have to report it. Don't hesitate about that! Ge Wang is very nice and feedback on how it all works is actually needed badly because he needs towrite a desertation on it; if you find something that works unusually well it might be worthwhle to report that too.

Also; not everthing is documented yet so do try stuff and see where you get stuck. Like everything else the manual is still young and might have mistakes that need to be reported.

None of these are huge problems and often they are fun since the authors are gratefull for documented bugs and fix them quickly but if you need a mature sort of perfection then ChucK is most definately not the place to find it. I'm just warning.....

majutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i joined both chuck lists myself. the traffic is a lot slower than sc3 list which has like 15 posts a day. sc3 is very buggy too, so i'm used to that. all of these programs are kind of fiddly, and that's my chief attraction. hardware and slick apps grew tiresome about 6 months ago. also my tech-trance style keeps drifting more and more experimental. I personally just try to have fun with music and explore. i don't really take it too seriously. i don't really write music or perform, it's just a hobby after my day job. after all, it's just pressure waves in air. Laughing i really appreciate your input kassen. if i really wanted to be serious i'd use my guitars, saxes etc and cubase or protools. but i've done that for like 25 years and it just grew tiresome. i don't even listen to most genres i used to like anymore (classical, jazz, rock, country, techno, etc). I just want to make a little noise before i shuffle off this mortal coil.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:
iI just want to make a little noise before i shuffle off this mortal coil.

Good !

I find myself drifting between periods of listening more and making more, where making is mainly doing noodles (now: self playing patches for the G2) and wave "claying" (now: in CoolEdit). I'd like to have some inbetween tool.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a Chuck forum. I think it is better to keep the language forums separate or it will get confusing if code is posted in two or more languages, although sometimes we may want to see comparisons between different languages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
majutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great mr. mosc. i was hoping chuck would have it's own forum but i didn't know if that was realistic. i think that it will make it easier for people to find the information they want. i also think kassen very good choice for mod, now i can pick his brain clean for my own nefarious purposes. Twisted Evil
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's all fine with me.

I informed Ge Wang of this all to see what he thinks, I'd just like to be clear that I'm somewhat active in the ChucK comunity but can't be considered a real offical spokes-person regarding the whole philosophy behind it.

There will be no refunds if ChucK sample-accurately sets your house on fire and neither should the nice Princeton people be blamed if I accidentally make a oops in typing a example function caled "fun void house.burn()" and you don't get any insurance money.

Update; Ge thinks all of this is great and and aparently I now can be considered a "spork/spokesperson for ChucK". I'm quite honoured, just don't ask me how to build it on Linux just yet ;¬).

So; full steam ahead toward great code and interesting crashes. Everybody should join the list as well because it's helpfull, interesting and sometimes funny.

djdaphalgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will Chuck get gui elements? It would be nice if i was able to create a little slider to control some variables in my chuck program in real time.

Also, it is realy nice that ckuck has classes and I can use some OO techniques, but what about generics (c++ templates), that would be cewl...
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djdaphalgan wrote:
Will Chuck get gui elements? It would be nice if i was able to create a little slider to control some variables in my chuck program in real time.

Yes, it will. Or "yes, it already does", depending on your platform. If you look at the schreenshot here;
http://audicle.cs.princeton.edu/mini/mac/
You'll see that the Mac version of the MiniAudicle already has sliders. The plan is of cource that the other versions will get those as well (and buttons, and leds, etc)

Quote:
Also, it is realy nice that ckuck has classes and I can use some OO techniques, but what about generics (c++ templates), that would be cewl...

I'd love to answer that question but I have no idea what "generics" are. If you explain this to me I'll see how close to that we can get in ChucK. Generally speaking I think it's safe to say classes are far from "done".

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I have no idea what "generics" are.

Quote:
The authors of the influential 1995 book Design Patterns refer to generics as 'parameterized types', which are also known as 'generics' (Ada, Eiffel, Java, C#) or 'templates' (C++). These allow a type to be defined without specifying all the other types it uses--the unspecified types are supplied as parameters at the point of use.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

Hmmmm, yes, that does sound like the sort of thing that will have huge and far reaching effects. Sounds interesting but I'm not so sure I can say anything relevant about that.

What I can say is that getting ideas on the "to do list" isn't all that hard, as long as you have a good idea. I'd sugest writing a little text about why you feel generics would be a good idea for ChucK and how they would fit in with the rest, then sending that to the mailing list.

chuckles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Argh! Don't do that!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm reading this thread thinking "WTF? There ALREADY is a perfectly good ChucK forum!" " and I realized that the difference between one post and another was 11 months!

djdaphalgan wrote:

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, this topic was originally posted in the SC forum. It turned out that there was quite a bit of interest In ChucK on EM so a seperate forum was made and this topic was moved there.
djdaphalgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Thanks.

Hmmmm, yes, that does sound like the sort of thing that will have huge and far reaching effects. Sounds interesting but I'm not so sure I can say anything relevant about that.

What I can say is that getting ideas on the "to do list" isn't all that hard, as long as you have a good idea. I'd sugest writing a little text about why you feel generics would be a good idea for ChucK and how they would fit in with the rest, then sending that to the mailing list.

Example: you make a function fun shuffle(int array[]) which shuffles an array of ints. When you want to shuffle an array of float, you need to rewrite this function. With generics, you only have to write a function fun shuffle(<type> array[]) and now you can use this function for arrays of ints, foats, whatever type you put in <type> (the syntax that i use is not correct, but it's just to give you a quick explanation of what you can do with generics). I do understand that this generics (or c++ templates) is rahter difficult, so it's not really that important for a musical oriented language, but can be quite powerfull (maybe, when I have time, i'll try to explain it better, I know how to use generics in Java, but it's difficult to explain).
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: