electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » electro-music.com
A minor milestone.
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh. Does your dad still get on the air? I haven't been on the air in several years, but I still have a station that might actually be operational. Might be fun to have a schedule with you. It would motivate me to get the rig running again. Here's what I use now:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

This is the Kenwood TS-870, the first ham rig to use DSP in the IF stage. I had to get it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We all have our vices Wink

I know he still works with it, but to what extent I do not know. I'll find out next time I talk to him.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
Exactly. We defign our own "cool," which has an overwhelming tendancy to be that which the majority would consider the pinnacle of "uncool." No pity for the majority.
Cyx

Isn't that part of what defines a sub-culture?
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
Cyxeris wrote:
Exactly. We defign our own "cool," which has an overwhelming tendancy to be that which the majority would consider the pinnacle of "uncool." No pity for the majority.
Cyx

Isn't that part of what defines a sub-culture?

Not a sub-culture, a counter-culture. But absolutely. It is a perfect demonstration, a complete 180 degree turn and full force ahead. Some are subtle, some are revolutions. In time, these plot the waveform of a culture.

Cyx

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would vote for sub-culture. I guess counterculture shuld be defined slightly different. But of course.. a subculture can also be... a counterculture. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A subsidiary culture of the culture you are counter to. There is some truth to that, I suppose, but even that is what being counter efforts to dissolve, or so they say. Or so we say.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
play

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what about the term aux-culture

auxiliary is a little less charged than the word sub. It could refer to something which is either sub, counter, both or something else entirely.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW! That is a great term! is it new? is it yours? You are a genius!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, praise me for I am the king of pre-fixes!

it would be interesting to try and get that word into general circulation. I've made attempts before at generating new slang (for instance, replacing or supplementing the word "cool" with "spare") but with no success.

It's strange how new words enter language. Who came up with the term sub-culture in the first place? sub: below, underneath, inferior. Doesn't sound like a hippy came up with it, that's for sure.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can do that with aux-culture! We can do that right now! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
We can do that with aux-culture! We can do that right now! Very Happy

For it to stick, it has to be used proactively in rap music. Start planning for linguistic hip-hop infiltration.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... rap... I had just managed to forget all about rap. This is late friday night. I always forget things on fridays. Any suggestions for a rap approach?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Any suggestions for a rap approach?

Yes. Develop a new subgenre: prog rap. Rap songs in 7/8, with Randian lyrics, and the obligatory "aux-cultural" references. I'll assume that duty if needs be.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right... and we can like have some references to Guy Debord and shit.. that would be hot eh?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Right... and we can like have some references to Guy Debord and shit.. that would be hot eh?

Perhaps this is a job for MC Hawking.

"Coming straight out of Oxford a crazy muthafucka named Hawking..."

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is really hot! My elk is on fire!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Any suggestions for a rap approach?

Yes. Develop a new subgenre: prog rap. Rap songs in 7/8, with Randian lyrics, and the obligatory "aux-cultural" references. I'll assume that duty if needs be.

Cyx

check out "Them", "Deep Puddle Dynamics" and, to a lesser degree, the "Anti-Pop Consortium". There are some others along the lines of Them and Deep Puddle and somewhere I heard a blanket term for the genre "Backpacker hip-hop". Crazy time signatures, weird noises and lots of complicated philosophical dialogue that takes many listens to comprehend because they rap so fast, especially Them. I've never heard anyone rap that fast before.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This is really hot! My elk is on fire!

That's what she said.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
check out "Them", "Deep Puddle Dynamics" and, to a lesser degree, the "Anti-Pop Consortium". There are some others along the lines of Them and Deep Puddle and somewhere I heard a blanket term for the genre "Backpacker hip-hop". Crazy time signatures, weird noises and lots of complicated philosophical dialogue that takes many listens to comprehend because they rap so fast, especially Them. I've never heard anyone rap that fast before.

Cool! Noted! i wil check it out!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As will I.

Cyx

-Napoleon Dynamite
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: