electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
The 1970s PBS station ID
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: The 1970s PBS station ID
Subject description: what synth and what's compressing it?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure I've mentioned this sound several times before, but it is truly one of the most inspiring sounds for the music I'd like to create:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlcLArBiIOw

The clip has the sound quality and synth style that I'd like to serve as the basis of my songs, but I'm having trouble actually recreating it. Can anyone take a good guess as to what synth or synths is/are being used in the clip?

I'm assuming this clip was recorded off of the television onto video cassette. The TV and possibly the VCR add compression in themselves, but is there any tape compression and saturation going on as well?

Sometimes, I'll put in that 16kHz tone recorded off of the TV into a song so the song sounds as if it is being played from a TV. I can always tell when a TV is on in a house because of that tone. The same goes for printers, other monitors, wtc. Smile

The Children's Television Workshop station ID is pretty cool, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmUrrv03gQ

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It starts off with a dikmik. The rest is pretty imspred by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. I guess there aren´t really any synths there. It is most probably the usual collection of radiophonic stuff and DIY socillators and whatnot.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
opg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
It starts off with a dikmik. The rest is pretty imspred by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. I guess there aren´t really any synths there. It is most probably the usual collection of radiophonic stuff and DIY socillators and whatnot.

Thanks. I thought about the decade this was in after I posted. I guess that would have narrowed things down, but it was the horn swell that got me thinking. I had to search the forum for DikMik and found some great stuff.

Also, I stumbled onto Raymond Scott when googling PBS audio history stuff. AWESOME! There are a ton of CDs I have to get now! And you know what's creepy? Powerhouse was the song my wife and I were talking about just two days ago when laughing at the style of the new biology building on campus. She calls it the "Science Factory." Laughing Laughing

What about the compression? I'm thinking about recording it from the PC to a cassette tape and then back to the PC. This way I can get the cassette's compression as well as some pleasing tape hiss...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is some tape compression there for sure. However, it sounds like the sounds are repitched from tape ( radiophonic workshop style ) ..this adds a special "texture" and it also sounds like someone smurfed a late 60s / early 70s broadcast compression on it.

If you like the Scott lot, please consider knocking yourself out on the BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
opg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

If you like the Scott lot, please consider knocking yourself out on the BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff. Very Happy

Certainly! Thanks!

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: