electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Ogg Vorbis for OS X
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Ogg Vorbis for OS X Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This link shows a listing of various OggVorbis players/encoders/tools for OS X.
click here

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.airwindows.com/encoders/index.html

Quote:
Quick summary: Ogg Vorbis is erratic at low bit rates, even 128K, and has unusual sorts of artifacts, but no mp3 encoder can match it at 256K and up: at high bit rates it combines the tonal purity of BladeEnc with the transient aggressiveness of Fraunhofer. It's well positioned to put competitive pressure on mp3 as storage space and processing speeds inevitably expand.)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This probably isn't the place to discuss encoders/decoders. That said, this fellow is very thorough, but I take issue with his approach. In a fromer life, I worked very closely with the lo bit rate audio researchers at Bell Labs. They would work on the algorhythms and our group worked on the circuits.

Anyway, these encoders are based on psychoacoustics - they exploit how we hear and perceive. A good set of ears is much better than a spectral graph. Also, these encoders are designed to encode speech and music, not test tones and noise bursts. This author prefers to keep things objective, something you can't do with this stuff. It is by definition subjective.

I have encoded my music with all of these encoders and listened very closely to the results. I draw different conclusions. Vorbis is very good at low bit rates. I've compared it to the Fraunhaufer (which I actually paid for) and Vorbis performs better.

I'm reluctant to even bring this up. It's like analog/digital, Apple/Microsoft, and religion.

I do have an interesting story. I was on a visit with Bell Labs researchers to Dolby Labs in San Fransisco in maybe 1990. They were there to convince Ray Dolby that they had a superior audio compression technology to Dolby's. At the time, I was the Lab's technical program manager for the HDTV development. Anyway, even though Dolby has a spectacular facility with plush seats and expensive wood panels, we go back into a little lab and listen to the two systems. Some samples sound better on the Bell Labs' encoders and some sound better on Dolby's. After a lot of this jousting - these were very smart guys but it was still an old fashoned fight - Ray Dolby says, "Well, it looks like this will have to come down to the triangle test." The Bell Labs guys were very happy because they knew their system would do a triangle wave very nicely. Well Dolby pulls out a file, not of a triangle wave, but of a very clean recording of a single orchestral triangle playing one solitary bare naked "ding". It turns out that this is very difficult sound for audio compression to do without detectable artifacts.

Dolby's system did very well on the triangle test, he knew it would.

Of course, this really proved nothing. A system that does a great job on the triangle test may really suck on a vocalist or trumbone. Dolby was savey to wait untill all this back and forth testing was proving to be inconclusive, and people were getting tired. As the session progressed he was able to size up his competition; each test giving him another clue of the Bell Labs system's strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure he had other tests he could have pulled out at the last minute, but he knew the triangle would do the job.

Ray Dolby had a very mild-mannered gentle personna, but he was very schrewd and intimidating.

Last edited by mosc on Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great story, mosc
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ogg Vorbis for OS X Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This link shows a listing of various OggVorbis players/encoders/tools for OS X.

what about compatibility? the world is driven by mp3 files, even my mother knows what an mp3 file is (maybe Shocked ).
I think that once an audio file is compressed is distorted anyway, it's not supposed to sound as good as a not compressed file.
Do you want a nice sounding file? Buy a CD Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That says it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: