electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Live Looping with multiple instruments!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kawada_2005

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Live Looping with multiple instruments!
Subject description: Need some help getting together the hardware for correct setup!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've currently written some songs to accomodate a live gig, but at the moment I need to obtain the correct hardware to meet my instrument criteria!

What I'm planning to use is the following:

Semi-acoustic guitar
Electric guitar
Bass guitar
Microphone (singing, and vocal sounds!)
Handsonic HPD-15 tapping drum machine

---

What I'd ideally like to do, is to be able to play each instrument at different times, and run them through a looping station. I've had my eye on the Roland Boss RC-50, which seems to be able to accomodate these sorts of inputs, but I'm not 100% sure. I am new to live gigging with this sort of hardware, and am very keen to learn more from you guys!

I have seen this sort of thing done before; a guy called Arthur Lee Land, has some videos on YouTube of his live looping performances, which is basically what I'm trying to achieve, but as the percussion will be coming from the one machine/input, perhaps the hardware doesn't have to be quite soo extravagant!

Any information in regards to the above ( and apologies in advance for any undue confusion! ), will be most appreciated!

Thank you all for your time in advance also!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a fun concept!

Is bringing a computer along possible? It sounds like Ableton Live with a MIDI foot controller might do the trick. Live has support for recording multiple clips that loop in parallel or sequence in a number of different ways.

/Stefan

kawada_2005

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your reply Stefan!

At the moment, my current setup doesn't involve a computer ( Can't afford it just yet, Sad ).

I rang up Roland to ask them what they thought, and I don't think they could get their head around this sort of setup, so as of yet I'm a little bit unsure what I need to be using to accomodate such equipment.

Anyone familiar with multiple instruments using hardware such as Rolands RC-50, ( but not PC/computer ) live on stage ?

Thank you all in advance!

Kawada_2005
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ableton Live or perhaps the (Gibson) Echoplex like Amy X uses for all her incredible looping. Perhaps the Handsonic could be used to trip the loops.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A Free piece of software on the PC is Mobius (http://www.zonemobius.com/). It is an emulation of the Gibson Echoplex, but with 8 instances of it. Works very well together with my FCB1010 footpedal and the Nord G2 control surface. It can operate stand-alone, or as I use it: a VST inside Ableton Live (I have each of the 8 outputs touted to seperate tracks in Ableton).
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The RC50 has a built-in mixer with three inputs: a mic input with phantom power, an instrument input, and a line input.

Given the number of instruments that you wish to loop, you may need a small external mixer and (in turn) send the mixer's signal to the loop station.

Since the RC50 can record loops in stereo, you would be able to pan each of your instruments with your mixer and feed them to the loop station.

You might want to check out this thread for more info:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9628.html

All the best to you!
kawada_2005

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all!

Hopefully in due course I will be able to use the recommended software when I purchase a computer, but at the moment it's not in the foreseeable future ( depends how the current concept unfolds! Razz ) .

Thank you for your comment too, kkissinger, I will have to add a mixer to the mix ( Rolling Eyes ), to accomodate this sort of setup!

I have now purchased the RC-50 which is awaiting arrival in the post! Really looking forward to seeing what I can and can't do in it's current state, and I will keep you all posted with updates if you are interested!

Thanks again,

Kawada_2005
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
A Free piece of software on the PC is Mobius (http://www.zonemobius.com/). It is an emulation of the Gibson Echoplex, but with 8 instances of it. Works very well together with my FCB1010 footpedal and the Nord G2 control surface. It can operate stand-alone, or as I use it: a VST inside Ableton Live (I have each of the 8 outputs touted to seperate tracks in Ableton).

What kind of PC (clock & ram) are you using?
Are the loops all stored in ram ?
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Live Looping with multiple instruments!
Subject description: Need some help getting together the hardware for correct setup!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kawada_2005 wrote:

imes, and run them through a looping station.
Thank you all for your time in advance also!

Some additional resources on Looping http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Centrino 1.8Ghz (dual-core). But for this amount of looping, especially if you're not using 16 separate audio I/O (8 in + 8 out), is way overboard. Running as a VST, with stereo in & stereo out under Ableton Live, 8% of my CPU is used.
kawada_2005

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the moment, I have purchased the Roland RC-50 looping station (absolutely amazing), and now I need purchase some sort of mixer, as I'm not quite on budget yet to purchase a computer, Sad .

I want to have atleast 6 channels to put in all the instruments, but I'm a little wary of the price differences and general control! I want to be able to plug in all the instruments ( Bass guitar, electric guitar, electric acoustic and microphone ) straight into the mixer, then the mixer to the RC-50. To anyone's knowledge, is this possible ? And if so, what mixer would you recommend?

Thank you all for your inputs!

Kawada_2005
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: