electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Selling Your Music Online
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Selling Your Music Online Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wasn't sure which forum would be the most appropriate for this but Online Music seemed the best fit. I read the following on the music-bar list:
Quote:
Please take a look at this link and post your comments if you would be so kind.
http://easybe.com/

Thanks

Dale Kay
Administrator Kay-Net.com
Lancaster CA
Bus 661.723.0266
admin@kay-net.com
Brought to you by: http://www.ampfea.org
I thought that anyone interested in selling their own wares on their website would be interested in this. It looks cool and gives power to the people. With some user feedback, I think that this software can be outstanding.
[Editor's note: Sorry to disagree, but this isn't Online Music, it's more of a How To, so I've moved it to the more appropriate topic. -- mosc]
[Reply to Editor's note: No problem, Howard. I was just guessing where to put it anyway. Thanks for putting this in the proper spot. -- Bill]

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill

Last edited by djfoxyfox on Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The software is probably cool and the price is great. PHP webshops with file downloads can be had for free too. This thing about virtual links.. the customer gets a personal URL to the files is an old idea which has been used for years. There are even free open source products which can do the same and you can code this yourself. I did make several similar weapps using WEBDNA/webcatalog back in the late 90s. The actual philosophy behind that product was that everything was parsed together by a database cgi before the html was sent off to the client browser. Making a shop using such tools is not hard.. you can even use Filemaker Pro 6 - Webedition.. but buying something which does the same for such a low price is excellent. The marketing hype is a bit ... hmm.. well..
but what it actually does is what most people would need. There is not anything new about this though. I suspect that there will be many sites out there running shops like this one.. and none have any customers. The main problem about selling music is not addressed by this product.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working to make downloads sellable at the electro-music.com store. I'm going to use the same system that we use to sell CDs. When you order the download and pay for it, you get access via your account login at the store to download the file for the next N days. Everything works, but there are problems with the shipping modules which I'm working on.

The question arrises, why sell downloads here when you can sell them on your own site? Answer:

You support electro-music.com helping build the critical mass
More customers see your product as a result
You don't have to bother with software
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

The question arrises, why sell downloads here when you can sell them on your own site? Answer:

You support electro-music.com helping build the critical mass
More customers see your product as a result
You don't have to bother with software

this makes good sense...

Cyxeris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. All pretenses aside, by working through this site, not only are you supporting Howard and e-m.com, but we are also supporting each other. We are supporting the scene, the group/community, and the principles. It can be the hub for what we're all doing, rather than all fending for ourselves in a disparate context. Of course, there is only so much one man can do, really, or so much that one can do without decimating the rest of their life.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite

Last edited by Cyxeris on Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
...by working through this site, not only are you supporting Howard and e-m.com, but we are also supporting each other. We are supporting the scene, the group/community, and the principles. It can be the hub for what we're all doing, rather than all fending for ourselves...
This is exactly why I sent this privately to Howard before posting it the group. However, I didn't want to deny anyone the choice of having downloads on electromusic and their own website.

Presentses?

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cyxeris wrote:
Yes. All presentses aside, by working through this site, not only are you supporting Howard and e-m.com, but we are also supporting each other. We are supporting the scene, the group/community, and the principles. It can be the hub for what we're all doing, rather than all fending for ourselves in a disparate context. Of course, there is only so much one man can do, really, or so much that one can do without decimating the rest of their life.

Wow! (Howard cries real tears of joy)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djfoxyfox wrote:
I didn't want to deny anyone the choice of having downloads on electromusic and their own website.

I never thought you did.
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The whole key is finding an audience - and a 'central hub' type of place for listeners to find the music is huge. Everyone knew mp3.com existed - heck - literally everyone. There hasn't been a replacement for that (no matter how annoying mp3.com ended up being - nothing's remotely touched it's saturation to listeners since). Not that I'm a big fan of mp3.com - it was almost too diverse - you could get lost easy. You had to really want to find something - and chances are you'd run across 20 bad things before a good one.

So I'm a big fan of smaller, more targeted communities. Unfortunately, at least within the types of music I really care about - all of those communities are filled with people almost exactly like me - musicians that deal primarily in electronic, usually instrumental music. (which isn't really a bad thing...who better to chat with than people that share similar interests?) But as far as sales go... that's a bit tougher. I'm more likely to do a series of trades than a bunch of sales when amidst a group of musicians. Smile

I guess the other thing to remember (I'm more reminding myself) - is that a site that has a store and a forum are sort of two things. Some people will come to the site for the store and the reviews - others will hang out for the people in the forum. Yes - there's a bit of cross polenization.

Anyway - I'm rambling and not sure it's making sense. Sites like electro-music make sense to me. Especially when they start getting a bit of longevity and have evolved through a series of regular users. Every forum or list has a bit of a different vibe - so it's good to have various ones - I'd just like to see all the various factions come together for some things - like the store and promotion and event calendars and things. Hopefully that will naturally evolve out of somewhere - I don't see why it can't be here.
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

meh...I still want to sell a lot of music - either individual mp3s or CDs. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is effective promotion. And also I've heard complaints about PayPal.....
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PayPal is just a way to take credit cards. What complaints have you heard?
opg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.paypalsucks.com Just this link....
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Paypalsucks.com" seems pretty biased (well, thats obvious from the domain name)... I don't see how some of these problems are avoidable though. I think the ones that are most at risk are sellers, although buyers have some risk as well. Overall, I think it is important for both buyers and sellers to know WHO they are making transactions with (on an individual basis and a market basis) to avoid complications. Buyers should be attentive to fine print on commercial sites, and sellers should detail their terms of service. Besides, what is the alternative? Sending a credit card number through e-mail is far more interceptable and insecure, and "Snail Mail" has its title for a reason.

This is getting a bit off topic, but does anyone know of any online alternatives to PayPal, or is this kind of service monopolized by PayPal? If there are others, any ideas of how they could be utilized to sell music online Question
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I read the paypalsucks site. These kinds of sites have been running for years. IBMsucks.com, GEsucks.com, etc. The idea is you set up a site based on a big business's name and trash them. You hope that they buy you out for a big fee to shut you up.

Most of these stories concern PayPal accounts. You don't have to have a PayPal account to buy a CD at the electro-music.com store with a credit card. PayPal accounts are intended for vendors and people who buy on EBay.

Considering the huge number of customers PayPal has the number of complaints seem to be withing reasonable limits. You can't do millions of transactions a day and not have any complaints.

My experience with PayPal has been excellent. No complaints.
opg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, that settles it. My brother is using Mixonic to sell his CDs. They make the copies and use PayPal. Seems like the way to go.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: