electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Novation Nova???
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Novation Nova??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have decided to go for VA devices instead of analog gear. I might keep a few old devices but VA seems the most sensible to buy these days.
Right now I am trying to figure out if I want to buy a secondhand Novation Nova or not. This one is OLD.. - 1999.. but it got rave reviews back then and some of the features seems to be very smart.
There is a review at: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep99/articles/novation.htm

I need gear with at least some performance orientated controls. This one will not be the last of its kind I buy.. I need shitloads of synths in order to be able to perform.

So... any fo you guys have used or owned the Novation Nova?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never owned or even played one. Never even seen one. Looking at the review, I am not even slightly interested. It does have effects (reverb) and arpegiator, but I think it is very limited as an analog synth. The architecture is essentially fixed. I'd rather have a Nord Modular rack, and external effects box and and a keyboard controller with built in arpegiator. Of course the G2 has all those things, with the endless controllers.

Sorry, I bet you knew I'd say that... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
themoors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Depending on the price I'd say it was a least worth a look... As the man says, its not a nord modular.. but it does have a fairly well specified modulation matrix, the onboard FX ain't too shabby and the 8 outputs are a real bonus... it does your basic synth bass, leads and pads well and has a nice rich sound...... also I like the fact that it can process audio, my freind got one when it first came out and he still loves it....

I wouldnt buy one simply becuse I dont need that sound, I am in love with the more orgainc sounds I can acheive with samplers and things like absynth

Alternatively you might consider the novation remote 25 audio, essentially it is a keyboard with lots of knobs and an USB (?) audio interface but you can install the k-station OS to it, which suggests to me that this wont be the only software upgrade for this product.
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This synth is on my short list of synths to buy that are under $500.00 US. I have decided that I'll only buy hardware VA synths that are $500 or less used and this is one of them. I like it's features and will be looking out for one in the near future.
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those old Novations have a nice sound. Very smooth. I don't own one, but the ones I've heard are quite nice. Of the VAs, I really love the Waldorf Q.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
pythagoras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:  NOVA
Subject description: i have one
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i own one and it is the best analog modelling if u know how to use it...it's phat/fat
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy I posted that one in 04. I the meantme I´ve had the opportunity to test one. I agree with you. It´s good.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I finally landed the little blue beaut. party! wow! Can you tell I'm excited? I'll let you all know how it sounds after I give it a go round.

HPIM1260.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HPIM1260.JPG

Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

Last edited by Gothboy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tested it last night and it all works and sounds amazing. Filters are very liquidy (a predessesor to the liquid KS line) and the arpeggiator just makes your head spin. So far I highly recommend this one!

GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Novation Nova??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I have decided to go for VA devices instead of analog gear. I might keep a few old devices but VA seems the most sensible to buy these days.

I need shitloads of synths in order to be able to perform.

So... any fo you guys have used or owned the Novation Nova?

Haven't tried the Novation Nova yet, but you are definitely on the right track, as far as economy is concerned. I realized, in 2003, the advantages of virtual gear over hardware and have never looked back. Fortunately, with as many free VSTi's as there are available, I've had to spend very little money, if any, on new instruments and sound modules. VSTi's have become the way I work and my old Ensoniq ASR-10 is now just a MIDI controller for operating them.

Gary
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: