electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Audible dull click at note-on and note-off.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Harryminx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Audible dull click at note-on and note-off.
Subject description: Nord micro-modular: strange click.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi. Hoping someone has encountered this phenomenon before. Everything is working normally except there is a click at key-on and key-release. This micro-modular was bought in England (230V) and is now being used in Australia where it's 240v, (with the original transformer which steps down to 9v, just using a plug adaptor). Is it most likely a power problem associated with this? Any suggestings I'd be very grateful.
Harry
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't expect 230/240 would make any difference.
Is it just with a specific patch?
If not then maybe the note on/off midi message is bleeding in somewhere.
Harryminx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On every patch but obviously most annoying on the quiet ones. Most worrying is that it is present on even the most simple patches. Yes I didn't think it could be the power either. Hmmm
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a similar problem a few days ago. The keyboard made a little noise every time that it sends any midi event (note on, off, modwheel, etc).

I then noticed that the cables where wrongly plugged, the midi out from the computer was connected to the midi out of the G2 and the midi in from the computer was connected to the midi in of the G2. Once the right connections were made the problem disappeared.

Try unplugging the midi cables and see if it still makes noise, yours could me a similar problem to mine.

Last edited by dorremifasol on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved this topic to the NM Classic section and removed the double post that was in it.

When its on all patches it indeed most likely is an issue with MIDI cables or some other involved ground loop. Does the micro have a headphone output ? If so does it do the clicks as well ?

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the Envelope module? What are the values of the attack and the release? If set to low, a nasty click can be heard...

Wout
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This kind of clicking sound can also happen if you are playing a monophonic patch that uses kybd velocity data to control note volume. When a note is still sustaining and you play a new note that has a different velocity, the volume will jump to the new level instantly, causing a click. (You can avoid this in monophonic patches by processing velocity data through a lag module).

But if you are hearing this problem on a polyphonic patch the cause must be something else. Maybe you should post here again and attach a patch that is showing this problem. Then other folks can determine if 1 - they dont' hear any problem (which means you may have a hardware problem that requires servicing) or 2 - if there is something in the patch that is causing the problem and you just need a fix in the patch.

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
This kind of clicking sound can also happen if you are playing a monophonic patch that uses kybd velocity data to control note volume. When a note is still sustaining and you play a new note that has a different velocity, the volume will jump to the new level instantly, causing a click. (You can avoid this in monophonic patches by processing velocity data through a lag module).

Hey, thanks for this tip! A couple of my favorite patches on the micro have this clicking, so I will give the lag module a try.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Audible dull click at note-on and note-off.
Subject description: Nord micro-modular: strange click.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Harryminx wrote:
This micro-modular was bought in England (230V) and is now being used in Australia where it's 240v

Hi Harry welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

1st- yes I've encountered this before on my Micro- but I kinda like that, like a 'design feature' often described by car manufacturers Shocked Very Happy

2nd- 240v is a British Standard- so we have 240v here too, not 230v.
Eag

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been having a similar problem with a patch on my G2, actually, and I figured out what was causing it just a few minutes ago.

If a sudden change in volume happens while a note is resounding at a significantly different volume level, you will perceive this as an audible 'click', because of how quickly the volume change takes place. In a sense, the note's envelope at that point in time just changed dramatically - it's the same basic reason you get clicks on note-on with really fast attacks.

So, in a monophonic patch, this can happen with those fast attacks, since there's only one volume level. But why would this happen in a polyphonic patch, when each struck note has its own unique volume?

Well, now we come to what I realized a few seconds ago - if you have your velocity-mapped volume control in the FX area, it will be applied monophonically.

Hence, if you're holding a note and you strike another note with enough difference in velocity, the held note's volume will jump one direction or another, causing that obnoxious click.

The solution, of course, was to move the module changing my volume into the VA area.

I'm not sure how related that is to your problem, but it sounds similar, so I thought I'd share it, in case it might be of assistance.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eag wrote:
But why would this happen in a polyphonic patch, when each struck note has its own unique volume?

Because it is still a sudden jump in volume, in this case from zero to the max level. It depends on the current (momentary) input signal of the envelope what will happen. When that value happens to be zero nothing happens, but when it's something else than zero there will be a jump and a click hence, that gets bigger (louder) when the momentary input signal is higher, proportionally.

This also hints at a way to eliminate such clicks. When the wave that is going into the Envelope Generator is guaranteed to be zero at the moment the envelope starts there will be no click. This can be done by syncing an oscillator (or a bunch of those mixed) to the same pulse that starts the envelope - this will reset the momentary output level of the oscillator to zero (apart from possible phase offsets for certain osc types).

This is the way to go for the fastest possible atacks without having clicks.

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: