electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Electro-box - any ideas?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Electro-box - any ideas? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have this idea that on the front page there would be some sort of little box or applet (I have no predisposition to the technology) that would play tracks posted on the site. My first idea was "electro-music.com track of the day". Each day a new track is played by pushing a button - or possibly played automatically when someone loads the front page. The applet should show some text that has appropraite links for the track, ie. artist's forum. website, CDs for sale, etc.

Another variant would the the electro-box, that would have all of the tracks, arranged and searchable - with all of the relevant textual info, including to forum topics where the composer and the tracks are discussed.

This is sorta like a play list, but with more information. Maybe a playlist with a webpage for each track. I saw something like that on Real Audio's site, but of course it was for commercial pop music only.

Any one have any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There should be the feature for members to create play lists of stuff they enjoy. The key thing is the info window. Sorta like mp3 used to do, or what you can do on other sites, but more...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea. I'd vote against "auto-play" - personally it irritates me anytime a website has automatic music. I'm not sure why. Heck - most of the time I don't have my speakers on anyway. Also, users on dialup - music is a killer on bandwidth at almost any level.

But... having a featured track and information in a box - yeah - great idea. I'm wondering if I've seen that somewhere. Ok - something close...

ambient.us has a "just added" box (although the box lines are removed) on their front page. Not what you're saying - but similar:

http://www.ambient.us

This is probably more of a modification of the "new for month" box on standard oscommerce installs (I still have mine showing for now).

Hop into ambient.us shop - there are features albums and a most downloaded box. Still not really what you're saying though.

I'm trolling the oscommerce forum (I'm interested in the whole download thing anyway - so researching helps both of us hopefully) - ...

This site has audio downloads / samples - but not your box idea:
http://www.ultrasonique.com/

This thread discusses background music:

http://forums.oscommerce.com/forums.html?showtopic=71407&st=0&#entry280375

Related to mp3's:

http://forums.oscommerce.com/forums.html?showtopic=61732&st=0&#entry261021
http://forums.oscommerce.com/forums.html?showtopic=65128&st=0&#entry254348

I swear I ran across someone that had a sort of random featured item box. Can't find it now - and need to get back to work.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked out ambient.us but didn't see what you were talking about. They seem to use Live365 which I tried to use but too many problems. You must disable popups, and them register, and then you get a million horrible ads.

Are you an OSCommerce user? What site?
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The site is so much not done it's nearly embarrasing. I'm still early on the setup path.

http://www.relaxedmachinery.com

All graphics and text and all that will likely change before we roll it out officially. I'm more just trying things out to see how they work. Planning to spend an hour or two tonight (finally some free time!).

The ambient.us thing - it's the "new" list on the front page. It's just nothing close to what you're suggesting. I know I saw something close in the last month, just a matter of remembering enough of what it was to do a search. If nothing else - there should be a mod close enough to do some tweaking from.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this streaming music idea. However, I must also vote against the "auto-play" feature as well...its best not to force anything on anyone, but putting the "box" in an obvious place with a big "PLAY" button would be good.

Perhaps you could incorporate it as "electro-music.com 'net radio" feature, or something of the sort. I've seen many "internet radio stations" on record label sites, and they're a good way to hear a variety of what the site has to offer minus the hassle of downloads.

overall, this sounds like an essential electro-music.com feature Exclamation
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the encouragement. I need some technology. Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess it boils down to two issues.. a webapp which can parse together playlists.. ( an interface for entering song metainfo is needed too ) and a playbackdevice that uses the playlist info.

A) That that hard to do at all.. but it will demand some coding using some tool.. there are easy php tools for setting up lists and listediitors... and the info can go into like mySQl or whatever. It is also possibly to use a shockwave interface ( but this has to be coded too ).

B) We can just point the .m3u at whatever mp3 default "stream" playback device the user might have on his disk.

The input interface for A could be built into the userprofile in the forum. This means that each user also gets a personal interface to entering his own metainfo.. .. asset location urls and other info.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
themoors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, some freinds and I have been looking into setting up an Internet radio station for a site we are working on, we were really looking for the easiest and most painless method of going about it... we came across this, ive not got round to buying it yet but it allows your to broadcast with out the need for a server, is cheap and looks easy to use...

http://www.pirateradio.com

it looks a bit of a toy, but im told its quite powerful...

anyway great idea....
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pirate Radio wrote:
Please note that Pirate Radio Stations are unfortunately not supported by the Mac player.

That's a difficult thing to work with.

How does this work without a server?
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a guess..maybe it works thru the gnutella network...a guess
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked up gnutella which seems to be peer to peer. Lot's of blatant stealing on the related links, BTW. Quite outrageous, actually.

The best thing I can find so far is http://www.netjuke.org/

But that isn't exactly right - close.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

QTSS:http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qtss/

Darwin SS:http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/streaming/

Live stream encoder and broadcaster ( sends the encoded stream ito the server ): http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/broadcaster/

These links lead to a lot of general info too and might be intersting.
Darwin also runs on the PC.

The enclosed file is interesting too.

QTStreaming_techpaper.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  QTStreaming_techpaper.pdf
 Filesize:  585.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1201 Time(s)

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]