electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Kassen.....slight bug in latest monogrid code
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zeropoint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Kassen.....slight bug in latest monogrid code Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to trouble you again......

there's a slight bug in that unmapped buttons start to light up on each grid that has mapped playing clips on it. Sometimes you can reset them by putting Live into midi map mode and coming out again. But this doesn't seem to work for some of the leds. Can you spot anything in the code that might be doing this? It happens even when the Faderfox ports are disabled......and also when i map the buttons that are affected they still come on when they shouldn't. if you could give it another quick look when you have a chance that would be great.

thanks
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm realy sorry, Zeropoint, but this would be impossible for me to recreate and I wouldn't know where to start. I'm going to have to recomend that you talk to Ahlstrom; he knows his way around that code and he has a Monome to test with.

If you guys do find what causes this I'd be happy to help think about a solution.

zeropoint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.....no problem. I'll get back to him.

thanks
zeropoint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Kassen

just thought I would let you know that ahlstrom has just released an update to the monogrid code which has finally sorted out all the problems mentioned above. one more question though......is running chuck code quite processor intensive? I've noticed now that when running the chuck file alongside ableton live on a macbook pro that scrubbing around the audio file, even with it loaded into ram, becomes sluggish and unresponsive and the audio starts to break up. If I quit the chuck file everything smoothes out straight away.

Thanks
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! I hope he knows there is always a spot on the ChucK Wiki for projects like that.

About ChucK and the CPU; ChucK can indeed be CPU heavy, it's not a very eficient language. The prime priority in Chuck so far has been to optimise it for ease of programing, acessibility and so on, not on CPU optimisation. As the language grows more mature and complete I think this should improve (meaning Ge, Spencer and the rest will have time to look into that).

Still, a lot can be done in tweaking your code for maximum performance... Uisng events where apropriate, figuring out eficient ways of defining what you need... If I remember corectly; the MonoGrid doesn't use audio, right? Have you tried the "--bufsize[number goes here]" flag to increase the audio buffer? that might lead to some performance gains at the expense of audio latency, which you don't care about anyway.. If that's not it there is no substitute for looking for what code gets run the most (likely some loop) and trying to see wether you can find a optimalisation.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: