electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Triple Wilson SVVCF
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Triple Wilson SVVCF
Subject description: A module of ludricous proportion...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last Tuesday night I finally finished wiring up my new Triple Wilson State Variable filter. Out of all of it, I only had two easily fixed switched connections, which was a tremendous relief. I designed it so it could be pulled apart and maintained, but, oh gawd, after three and a half days of solid wiring, the last thing I wanted to do was debug the #$%!!.

I've mentioned in other threads what a be-atch this thing was to build - five PCBs, twenty pots, thirty connectors all in a 2U wide by 5U tall module, but in the end, after powering it up and playing with it, it all was proven worth it. This module covers so much ground, I'll never be able to approach making samples showing its operation from all angles.

It's 'normal' configuration has the three filters controlled from three common control voltage sources (CV1, CV2 and KBD/V/Oct input). The BandPass filters from all three are summed to a mono output and also passed through a panning circuit for a stereo output, with a pan pot controlling the position of filters A and C while filter B stays fixed in the center. The module is designed so that the each filter can can also be controlled and routed individually. All outputs are available so any configuration of all three can be applied to the mono and pan outputs and/or routed externally to the nether regions of my synth (I love the nether regions). Resonance is voltage controlled or manual. Each filter's resonance can be controlled manually or all three can be controlled by the resonance CV. When a CV is applied to the resonance control input, the manual master resonance control is converted into a bipolar attenuator (attenuvertor) the applies the CV to each filter, which is added to the intial resonance value of each filter.

Here is a sample of the filter in its 'standard' configuration IE, the three bandpass outputs. The signal is taken from the mono output. Last night I dusted off the Model 2 Klee breadboard to drive it. I played with it a little before I went to be. This morning, I powered it on, and found that the Klee had randomly volunteered a pattern that sounded better than the one I was playing with when I shut the system off. So, I just recorded it as it was, and, well, here it is.

The patch is two pulse VCOs - one is controlled by the 'A' output of the Klee, the other is controlled by the A+B output. A triangle LFO is applied to the CV1 input of the TWSVVCF, and EG is applied to CV2 of the TWSVVCF. Output B of the Klee is applied to the KBD input of the TWSVVCF, which controls all three filters.

The envelope generator's gate signal is generated by the output of Gate Bus 3, the trigger is derived from the clock trigger output of the Klee Gate Bus. The envelope generator is also controlling the VCA the signal passes through before it goes to the Lexicon delay and then on to the recorder.

I have the keyboard controlling one of the VCOs in addition to the Klee, but I really only moved the sequence down one step and back up once or twice throughout the sample.

As the sample progresses, I leave the individual filter cutoff controls fixed, I just adjust the level of resonance, the amount of LFO applied, the amount of EG applied, and the master initial frequency control. In parts I alter the level and invert the triangle signal applied to filter B with the CVB1 control, and do the same to the filter with the EG signal by adjusting the CVB2 control.

Here is a pic of patch, with the SVVCF module sitting next to the breadboarded Model 2 Klee. Notice the Klee schematic - I hadn't touched the breadboard since last November, and I had to re-familiarize myself with what was where.... Very Happy

Now, I have to take a certain Igor, lab assistant, to the park for the day for a well-deserved romp on the swing set and slipper slides and to feed the occasional duck.

Cheers,
Scott

svvc_model2klee.JPG
 Description:
Triple Wilson SVVCF and Model 2 Klee Breadboard
 Filesize:  116 KB
 Viewed:  25577 Time(s)

svvc_model2klee.JPG

tripsvc_klee.mp3
 Description:
Triple Wilson SVVCF driven by Model 2 Klee

Download
 Filename:  tripsvc_klee.mp3
 Filesize:  2.68 MB
 Downloaded:  1946 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice, i've made 2 of these pcbs myself [not yet built tho]. did you make any changes to this circuit, or build it part-atim?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Triple Wilson SVVCF
Subject description: A module of ludricous proportion...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Now, I have to take a certain Igor, lab assistant, to the park for the day for a well-deserved romp on the swing set and slipper slides and to feed the occasional duck.

Laughing

Pretty much what I did today too Cool

Nice filter. very 'glassy' like.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Topp, I left the filters unmodified, but I didn't use all of the components because everything was more or less going through the audio board, I put the output resistors on there and also combined the control voltages andu audio signals into composite signals before they went to the audio boards, which meant I didn't have to use all of the input resistors/caps.

I did use a TL074 in place of the TL084. For the filter OTAs, I used LM13700s and for the resonance OTAs I used LM13600s. I have many more LM13600s and would have gladly used them everywhere, but a comparison between them and the LM13700 as the filter OTA sounded to me like there was much less thump with the LM13700.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tom,

So that's what 'glassy' means (I've always wondered about that term of description for a filter). In this mode, the filter can go from very subtle to very agressive - it's particularly good for doing formants and resonant metallic sounds. In the series mode, two LPs in series makes a wonderful, warmer type filter. HP->LP can just really be crazy. Another stunt it does fairly easily is to patch all three outputs of a single filter into the panner/mixer and make a really agressive notch, then the output of that can be patched to the inputs of the other two filters.

I'll have to do a stereo sampe - the pan circuit pretty much emulates the same thing found on the MaM resonator - its again a different, more spacial sound (all three outputs aren't concentrated in one 'field'). Modulating the filters antiphase with that makes some great swirly filter stereo stuff. It could be added pretty easily to Fonik's resonator.

Yes, today was just a perfect spring day in Kansas, and we're usually alotted only one before the wind picks up, so Igor (AKA Matthew or Mattchuck or Matthew the Merciless) and I had a blast.

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Hey Tom,

So that's what 'glassy' means (I've always wondered about that term of description for a filter).

Well not really- that's only my interpretation of it. Others may say that it sounds 'watery'? Shocked Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
This morning, I powered it on, and found that the Klee had randomly volunteered a pattern that sounded better than the one I was playing with when I shut the system off. So, I just recorded it as it was, and, well, here it is.

how nice! like stuff like that.
very cool sounding filter!

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tom, maybe it's frozen watery Very Happy . I recorded a knock-off in the three-eyed exotic dancer vein last night using two LPs in series and the third filter configured as notch, which would probably qualify as more carbonated watery. It was late and I never converted it to MP3.

ZipZap - it sure makes me want to get around to building the Klee. Problem I have is that I still don't have anything to mount it in. My supply of Teflon (r) wire has pretty much dried up, too. I've told myself I'm going to mount my three VCOs, and possibly a fourth (a CGS I built but never tested), then move on to the Klee. Then, sometime after that, the SN-Voice. First I have to rig another power supply. This TWSVVCF really sucks the juice. And, I need to add another set of rails.

Cheers,
Scott
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only have to turn my back for a second and you're up to some other shenanigans aren't you Scott!? Very Happy
I don't feel like I've even had time to scratch myself lately! Rolling Eyes
(and I'm still getting in trouble for that! Laughing )

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's probably because you've been so busy chairing the worlds largest reptile and amphibian skin lingerie company in the world (see the Klee thread).

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've created a composition of sorts to better demonstrate the filter, well, at least in it's default 'triple resonant' mode.

This sample uses the VC Res and, on occasion, the stereo outputs.

It starts with a multi-tracked session using my Lexicon delay as a sort of impromptu looper - some of the tracks (particularly the pulsed VC res track) comes from the stereo output. The filter is modulated by an LFO, so you can, on occasion hear the frequency based panning going on - basically if it pans, that's it (I didn't do any manual panning while mixing down).

That part segues into a multi-tracked choir-like sound, which was done by recording a note, changing the formant a bit by adjusting the filters, and layering that on, ad-nauseum.

That portion segues into a very slow Klee sequence with some VC res pulsed..uh...resonance layered in (some from the stereo output - you'll hear it panning).

That portion segues into a single take of a Klee sequence with with two VCOs going through the TWSVVCF, one controlled by the Klee, the other controlled by the keyboard, with the Klee calling the shots on the filter. The filter is set for high resonance, and comes out as sort of a exotic mid/far east drum-like accompaniment.

The pan circuit could be used with the Fonik Triple Res, though in this composition, I'm mostly pulsing the res to self oscillation and back. I don't think the resonator is self-resonant (except for maybe Tom's(?)). Doesn't matter - it's just this example that's using self-oscillation. Any signal passing through gets the treatment.

The layered choir-like sound should be quite easy for Fonik's resonator to do - just tune it to a vocal sound, record it, change the filter settings slightly, layer that on, etc. etc. etc. Or, build about 20 of them, get twenty oscillators and.....well, you know.

Cheers,
Scott

amourpheous.mp3
 Description:
Composition using Triple Wilson SVVCF

Download
 Filename:  amourpheous.mp3
 Filesize:  7.29 MB
 Downloaded:  2000 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, as always, Scott. Smile
Beautiful music to wake up to.
I sat here with a coffee and closed my eyes for a little while. Cool

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice track indeed, worked well under dinner as well Smile
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Jan&K! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice composition. I like it a lot. Beautiful sounds, well constructed. Bravo. well done well done well done well done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, Howard Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

after all these positive comments I had to listen and I must agree Very Happy
nice composition Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
toybox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW!!! vary good track and that is a lot of Fn wires
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
I've created a composition of sorts to better demonstrate the filter, well, at least in it's default 'triple resonant' mode.

Brilliant! Good work!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you all again. I can only say I think my music has improved greatly (and hopefully continues to improve) since my exposure to this forum, and I mean that seriously.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a small composition I did around the same time I made Amourpheous. It uses only the Triple Wilson SVVC, and pretty much the same technique I used on the first part of Amourpheous - TH keyboard controlling VCOs through SVVCF, multi-track with some looped on my Lexicon MX200. I had it on my last Appendage video and someone asked that I post it, so here it is.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Cheerios,
Scott

sireens.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sireens.mp3
 Filesize:  7.41 MB
 Downloaded:  1044 Time(s)

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alien sireens Exclamation I like it Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I like it too. Nice one. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, thanks, guys. Very Happy

Do you suppose outer space sirens would be green? There were plenty of green gals in the original Star Trek.....

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Triple Wilson SVVCF Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott, those are all great samples, but that last one is awesome! Reminds me a bit of Alan Parson's "I Robot." Nice work!

By the way, I checked into it - if they're alien sireens, they pretty much HAVE to be green. Sorry, it's regulation.

Tim (unless they're Smurfettes - then they have to be blue) Servo

alien sireens.jpg
 Description:
there's also a Denubian Slime Devil in the background...
 Filesize:  31.73 KB
 Viewed:  26340 Time(s)

alien sireens.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: