electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Theremin
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
godman5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Theremin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone here had any expirance with a 'theremin'. They look really cool.
I have heard to only get ones with 2 arials. So i typed it in on ebay and i saw a good looking one here .

Anyone got any help or advise before i put a bid in?
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I have not personally played the No1derland theremin though 150 pounds (around $300 USD) is pretty pricey considering that you can get a new Moog Etherwave Theremin for around $300 USD.

The Etherwave is a good all-around theremin -- one can use it for free-form or tonal music with good results.
godman5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well its 100 really as i can just bid dumass
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

godman5 wrote:
well its 100 really as i can just bid dumass

nice talk.

I don't know much about that particular theremin, but having a theremin, it's a very different kind of thing to try to play. You can make some very (tiring after a while) "weird" sounds, or you can try to learn the instrument.

if you want, bid on that one, as it's got a fairly flash cabinet. Might look cool on a stage, but you'll find on a small stage, people within about 2 meters from you will affect the sound. In my opinion a theremin isn't something you'd be playing out in a club as a precision instrument. Now I know there are some soloists here so they would be able to say more, but I think there's a lot of practice in getting to play it well. Like I said, I have one, and I'm working on it, but not feeling ready to actually solo with it.

If that's what you want to spend 100 squids on, go for it. But you should know what you're getting, they're not that simple to learn.

Oh, and they all have two aerials. One is for the pitch (the right hand one) and the other is for your volume. If one has more, it's just more fanciness on the theme, and probably more complication. Two aerials is plenty to manage.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Jump to: