electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
are there a lot of flash memory problems with the nord mod
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nycindcore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: are there a lot of flash memory problems with the nord mod
Subject description: reliablity and how long will it last
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi newbie here,.....i'm seriously thinking of buying this nord modular classic and read that the flash has a certian life expectancy,.....how can i check for this and other issues and, does this happen to alot of them?,...or is it an rare isolated situation?
cool to be here and looking forward to the clavia sound creation and such
so far i have my
mpc 2000 xl
atc 1 w 303-arp-ob-moog filters
sherman filter bank
audity 2000 that i run thru a urei 535 eq to make it warmer,....
jomox x base 09
juno 106
an1x
and some electribes
ect
i'm just a sucker for that electronic thing
thanks ahead of time
rock on!!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: are there a lot of flash memory problems with the nord m

nycindcore wrote:
hi newbie here,.....

welcome

Quote:
i'm seriously thinking of buying this nord modular classic and read that the flash has a certian life expectancy,.....

Last time I suspected a Nord of having this it turned out to be a bad power supply, I'm not going to burn me on the subject anymore Laughing

Quote:
how can i check for this and other issues and, does this happen to alot of them?,...or is it an rare isolated situation?

You can't really, it might loose it's storage capability but not while you're testing it probably. Symptoms pointing into the memory loss direction have not been reported often here, only like two or three times I guess, one of them being a bad power supply rather.

When the machine has problems recalling patches from memory that could also be caused by holes in the storage system. There is a bug in the software that causes some odd behaviour when there are empty storage locations followed by non empty ones.

nycindcore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks blue hell for the info ,.....i definitely appreciate it in a big way!,.....cool to see your in the netherlands ,.....one day i gotta get out to that part of the world ,...ive heard so many great things about it,.....
thanks again for the info
Leo
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nycindcore wrote:
.....one day i gotta get out to that part of the world ,...ive heard so many great things about it,.....

Be quick, we're going down, or I'm getting old maybe.

Good luck with the NM, you were going to buy one anyway I guess ... Laughing

nycindcore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea i dont think i can pass up this deal here,.....i'm excited to get going on exploring the soundscapes and all,.....plus having the clavia sound too,.....i just didnt want to go with a computer program they all are great but theres something special about the "sound" each peice of equipment has that i feel makes up thyre character that a computer program running the same simulations cant nail,....maybe in the ballpark ,....just not a home run,......
my friends have told me of such great times had there in amsterdam ,...like trippin in the van goeh museum and such ,.....one day,.... Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, I haven't turned on my Micro for almost two years, until the night before last. Everything still works Very Happy

If anything will pack up it'll probably be the internal battery (but I don't know- because i've never seen one or opened it up to see if a battery is there Idea

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
(but I don't know- because i've never seen one or opened it up to see if a battery is there Idea

It shows, there is no battery Laughing

The storage device used is a flash memory device which will remember stuff without using batteries. The downside is that it can be written only a limited number of times (like 100.000 to a miljion times for each bit) and that it has a data retention time somewhere from 10 to 40 years. (which is still better than that of self burnt CD's I guess ...).

G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
FWIW, I haven't turned on my Micro for almost two years, until the night before last. Everything still works

Glad you did so!
The Micro Mania strikes back!
kvnvk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: are there a lot of flash memory problems with the nord m

Blue Hell wrote:

When the machine has problems recalling patches from memory that could also be caused by holes in the storage system. There is a bug in the software that causes some odd behaviour when there are empty storage locations followed by non empty ones.

actually my NM1 has empty spots in patch storage, and I was wondering if there was any way to clear those patches "lost in the wilderness" so to speak, or do I have to fill in the empty space inbetween in order to avoid this possible issue?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess you could make an empty patch and store that into all the inbetween empty locations, that is if you don't want to erase all patches after the first gap (in each bank).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: are there a lot of flash memory problems with the nord m

kvnvk wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

actually my NM1 has empty spots in patch storage, and I was wondering if there was any way to clear those patches "lost in the wilderness" so to speak, or do I have to fill in the empty space inbetween in order to avoid this possible issue?

yes this foxed me for a while until I discovered that quick workaround. I had one empty patch in 100 and I couldn't work out why I wasn't able to bulk upload past patch 37 (or near). It's a stupid bug that Clavia never addressed.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: