electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Sound and also Visuals
Page 3 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
rbedgar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: more memes
Subject description: refs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill was a classmate in electronic music for a few years. And we worked on early video stuff through Synapse, in Syracuse, in the early 1970s. He does have a good sense of sound.

Wagner -> Eisenstein as opera -> film.
This is explicit, not musings. Read Wagner on synasthesia, and read Eisenstein on Wagner.

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
memedesigner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very valuable, thank you. I'll report back when Im done with my reading. Very Happy

Scriabin was big with synaestheia also, I gather.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memedesigner, when I watched your video it reminded me of a person's life experience. At first, you get lots of rapidly changing information that you can't really figure out, then you sort of understand or you think you do but you still really dont. About half way through perhaps there is a moment of inspiration and you see clearly what is happening, then you can comprehend better as things switch around. Finally, there is a big smile as you realize how good it all has been and will be.

Well, that may not be exactly your life experience or mine, but it could be someone's life experience or something similar. Anyway, that's what I was struck with when I watched the video. It was the story of a person's life experience in summary. Did you intend anything like that?
memedesigner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was a good read of the video, Inventor. Those people smile through the deep depression of 1930s.
memedesigner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excerpt from Baudelaire's essay Richard Wagner et Tannhäuser a Paris (1861):
"But what would be truly surprising would be for sound not to suggest color, for colors not to give the idea of a melody, and for sound and color to be incapable of translating ideas; for, ever since the day God uttered the world as a complex and invisible totality, things have always been expressed in reciprocal analogy."

(This translation from L.J. Rather's Reading Wagner)

Reciprocal analogy, would love to know the original expression in French. (10 minutes later). 'Une analogie reciproque'. Isn't the Internet just the greatest ever.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sound and Color dance in the sea of my imagination. They are like separate entities linked together at the wrist.

This reminds me of another project, there's a project brewing in the ChucK channel on representing math in music. Combining that with this thread, I'm wondering if I could do a math video for the project.

Perhaps I could draw the functions that are being played. I dunno, what do you think?
memedesigner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go for it. Very Happy
rachmiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think in the battle of the senses, sight tends to win over hearing. it's partly how the human brain works, partly our very visual time. which is why i've never been drawn to combining visuals with my music; the music would almost certainly be given some degree of short shrift. one big exception: moving images that are abstract representations of the music, music made visible. at its best, this can ENHANCE the musical drama, which is what i'm most interested in.
memedesigner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rachmiel wrote:
the music would almost certainly be given some degree of short shrift

That's a good point there.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the 80's I did a midi lighting setup for a club with a resident band. I used a Roland MPU-101 with some custom level scaling/translation fed directly into the dimmer packs. The band (who I also engineered for) would rehearse a couple of new songs per week and after rehearsal, would program the light show into the MC-500. It was a tedious process so the light shows tended toward minimalist, but perfectly synced to the music. The MC-500 could time shift a track forward so the thermal inertia of the cans could be compensated for. The result was very good, only surpassed by having a real pro on the desk.

I think with good synchronization and creative restraint, visuals can enhance any musical performance.

I'm looking at controlling Milkdrop 2 or AVS with MIDI so I can create visual noodles with the G2. The built in audio response of visualizer programs is a bit limiting.
rachmiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
I think with good synchronization and creative restraint, visuals can enhance any musical performance.

performance perhaps ... since, by definition, there is (or at least should be) a strong performance aspect to a performance. in other words, it's a visual event anyway, so enhancing the visual enhances the entire performance.

in terms of listening to a recording, i find that visuals can certainly enhance the entire experience ... but run the risk (depending on the visuals and the listener/viewer) of undermining the drama in the sound itself. for example, when i'm creating patches in reaktor, i always turn off any visual display, because it can 'trick' my ear into thinking a sound is more interesting than it really is.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rachmiel wrote:
i always turn off any visual display, because it can 'trick' my ear into thinking a sound is more interesting than it really is.

a blind date with Reaktor Question Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
rachmiel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
rachmiel wrote:
i always turn off any visual display, because it can 'trick' my ear into thinking a sound is more interesting than it really is.

a blind date with Reaktor :?: :shock:

;-)

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:

I'm looking at controlling Milkdrop 2 or AVS with MIDI so I can create visual noodles with the G2. The built in audio response of visualizer programs is a bit limiting.

If you figure out a way to control AVS or Milkdrop with MIDI, please let me know!

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
g2ian wrote:

If you figure out a way to control AVS or Milkdrop with MIDI, please let me know!

I thought I had found an avs pluggin "miditrace.ape", but only dead links now. I wonder if anyone has a copy on an old PC?

The structure of AVS seems more suited to midi control than milkdrop, but I do love milkdrop 2.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have something called miditracedraw.ape as well as some email from Tim Redfern, who wrote it, explaining it. It seemed like more trouble than it was worth, but if you can get something useful out of it, I'd be interested to hear about it. Drop me a PM with your email,and I'll send it to you.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since electronics already have a strong mind-visual influence on the listeners, I am quite withdrawn about introducing
image as well. The sound should draw the picture in the first place.

Too often the music will become an illustration of the same that's been seen or vice versa.
So no extra value is added. As the accordeon-soundtrack during a news-footage about Paris.

But of course it can be part of a composition, to show something.
So I preferred first to experiment with a still picture during a compo.

memedesigner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: The Bard Phenomenon Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess it's time for the annual update, here's 'The Bard Phenomenon', enjoy! Very Happy
http://www.vimeo.com/1474231
memedesigner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Have a great New Year 2009 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some new stuff to open the year: http://www.vimeo.com/2673654

Combining ambient sound, synths, visuals. 4 and half minutes of flowing meditative stuff. Very Happy
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Have a great New Year 2009 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memedesigner wrote:
Here's some new stuff to open the year: http://www.vimeo.com/2673654

Combining ambient sound, synths, visuals. 4 and half minutes of flowing meditative stuff. Very Happy

Beautiful...

/Stefan

memedesigner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stefan, I also think it turned out pretty well.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

memedesigner wrote:
I also think it turned out pretty well.

I have to agree on that well-done well-done well-done

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoyed the misty purple thingie also! (my level of comprehension of the piece, haha).
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, very nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
memedesigner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, very kind of you all.
Page 3 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: