electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Electro-Music Klee Sequencer Build and Applications Thread
Page 2 of 54 [1348 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 52, 53, 54 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't believe what I just did!
I decided to actually submit a vote, so I clicked on submit vote. Then, before it went through I realised I hadn't actually picked yes or no. I panicked, pressed "no" and then clicked submit vote again! Embarassed Laughing

bugbrand

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Abso-freaking-lutely

Asbo-reeking-shoot-me.

Damn right I'd like a set.!.
Very nice work
Just printed out the MAMMOTH Intro-to-Klee doc --- sheee-te!

Last edited by bugbrand on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would like one set also Smile
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh s**t not again!!! Shocked

I have to say yes to 1 set, but I'm soooo broke til the end of this month, and possibly further.

C
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Oh s**t not again!!! Shocked
I have to say yes to 1 set, but I'm soooo broke til the end of this month, and possibly further.
C

Same here, so I'm silently hoping it won't be with us for at least a couple of weeks Very Happy

piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep,please
Robert
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hook me up!
Techman

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I'd be up for a set.

Cheers

Andy
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't afford it, can't justify it and I've got too many unbuilt boards as it is.

Right then, I'll go for a set. Very Happy

I've got as much resistance to fun toys like this as a chocolate fireguard......

cheers

Dave
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Naming this the electro-music klee sequencer blows me away.

Very Happy

We three were all quietly hoping that this would have precisely that effect on you Mosc!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Usine Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like two please.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang, Mosc, I feel the same way about being allowed to call it the electro-music Klee Sequencer.

Here's a file that I whacked Tom over the head with, though it's a bit altered from what Tom saw. It's a list and description of the controls and connectors that are part of the electro-music Klee. I figure it might be useful for anyone designing a panel and also to let everyone know what they're getting into. It may look like a lot, but compare the number of controls to any other sequencer of mid-level complexity, and you'll see it's really not all that much. For a sequencer-type thingy anyway Very Happy

We'll get the parts list together as well.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: Document restored after crash of '07.

Klee_panel_elements.pdf
 Description:
A list of controls for the Electro-Music Klee with bonus panel arrangment recommendations one may or may not wish to follow

Download
 Filename:  Klee_panel_elements.pdf
 Filesize:  12.19 KB
 Downloaded:  1207 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, the electro-music Klee Sequencer does not use any switching jacks. So, one can use one's preferred type without worry. Banana, 1/4", 3.5mm, RCA, alligator clip, or the moistened tongues of an army of red spotted newts should all work equally well.

A Bugbrand EM Klee - I wanna see that!

Cheers,
Scott

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Here's a file that I whacked Tom over the head with, though it's a bit altered from what Tom saw. It's a list and description of the controls and connectors that are part of the electro-music Klee. I figure it might be useful for anyone designing a panel and also to let everyone know what they're getting into. It may look like a lot, but compare the number of controls to any other sequencer of mid-level complexity, and you'll see it's really not all that much. For a sequencer-type thingy anyway

one might want to take a look at my sketch for a frontpanel too. it will give a good overview, i would think. all elements arranged in a more or less logical manner. just a guess...

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:

will this version include the late-add switchable inverter option?

Yes, I think it was added at a later stage Confused

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
germaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes! Beam me up for one set Scotty! cyclops

Question: will there be any sort of parts kit offered and if so will it include the hard-to-find moist-tongued red-spotted newts? Thanks!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Germy!

Hadn't thought of providing parts kits - that would be nice.

Hmmmm...
Scott

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Germy!

Hmmmm...
Scott

errr... earth calling Scott..... Laughing

I did mention this in an earlier PM Very Happy However I feel it may be a logistical nightmare unless whoever providing the service is someone who already has a similar service set up.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mmmnnyesss.....I do remember it being brought up, but never heard anything more about it (or pursued it myself). Did we ever contact him?

Anything yet on that Klee laser? The complex has been installed in the extinct volcano, and here I am with nothing more than a pool of sharks and a slowly lowering platform. I need pizazz, dammit!

Cheerios,
Scott

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Anything yet on that Klee laser?

Would that be such a laser thingy that tells you when to put what component where on the PCB? Would handy Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Did we ever contact him?

Laughing

Yes.

But alas, no reply...yet Laughing

Isn't it strange going 'live'? Shocked Laughing

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What, we're live?

Tap-tap. Yep. Huh.

I'll run it up the flagpole again. I know he's pretty tied up with some other projects, so it's hard to tell.

Jan - the laser is specifically for dealing with British special agents of the double-oh type, CIA operatives, door-to-door salesmen. I'm hoping Tom can rig something a bit more potent than the average laser pointer - I simply refuse to do business with Acme after that catapault incident.

Back to the non-laser based electro-music Klee Sequencer:

The plan is to order some prototype boards, make sure everything is OK with them, then move on to the bulk order.

I'm going to try to get some tentative prints of what the component layouts will be like here. It's not an easy task with Express PCB.

Cheers,
Scott

ringer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott, Tom, and Unkle K,

Congrats and Kudos for a truly inspiring circuit. I would like 5 sets, a couple of friends and I will be building them together, thanks.

Cheers,
R.

Last edited by ringer on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
germaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Scott Stites wrote:
Germy!
Hmmmm...
Scott

errr... earth calling Scott..... Laughing
I did mention this in an earlier PM Very Happy However I feel it may be a logistical nightmare unless whoever providing the service is someone who already has a similar service set up.

I can probably swing the most of the parts, since there's no unobtanium. I was really (silly) only "concerned" about those newt things. Wink
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But the newts are the secret ingredient Very Happy

OK, bear in mind these are just quickie images I rigged up here. I had to print, scan, and crop them. The digital board isn't really crooked - that's just the way it scanned. Very Happy This is to give an idea of the complexity of the boards, which really aren't too complex at all (Uncle K did a great job of arranging the components). We'll have much better documentation than this.

Notice all of the connectors (the "J" numbers) - these can be either Molex/Amp type connectors, or you can solder wires directly into the pads. The advantage of using the connectors is that you can plug/unplug the boards completely from the front panel if you choose. A few of the connectors also interconnect the boards. There is a single connector on the Analog board for the power supply connection (power and digital ground are carried to the digital board through a separate connector from the Analog Board).

We will have complete wiring diagrams, tips, etc. Also a calibration procedure - the calibration will only require a voltmeter, and is a pretty simple affair (turn the trimpot until you get the desired voltage at the testpoint).

You'll probably notice none of the ref designators line up with the previously posted schematics - the schematics had to be updated to accomodate using Express PCB. They were originally drawn with the program, but, in doing that, I was just using the program as a fancy schematic drawing tool. I wasn't paying any attention to doing it so the program could recognize the schematic enough to design a PCB. In the process of getting everything together, we gave each board its own set of components and reference designators. So, there is a BOM for each board. We'll also produce a composite BOM so one knows how many 100K resistors in total one needs, or how many diodes, or how many newt tongues, etc.

Cheers,
Scott

analog_comp.JPG
 Description:
Crude Rendering of Analog Board Component Layout
 Filesize:  78.69 KB
 Viewed:  56672 Time(s)

analog_comp.JPG

digital_comp.JPG
 Description:
Crude Rendering of Digital Board Component Layout
 Filesize:  97.03 KB