electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Anyone add a ring mod to their Soundlab Mini?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Anyone add a ring mod to their Soundlab Mini? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where did you (or, would you) wire it in?

I'm thinking of a couple of rotary switches to select the X and Y inputs from either osc1, osc2, noise, external input, ... But then where to send the output? Would you tap into one of the mixer channels, or bypass the mixer and go right to the filter? Any other ideas? How would others consider doing it?

Thanks
~ Charlie

Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone add a ring mod to their Soundlab Mini? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

moosapotamus wrote:
Where did you (or, would you) wire it in?

I'm thinking of a couple of rotary switches to select the X and Y inputs from either osc1, osc2, noise, external input, ... But then where to send the output? Would you tap into one of the mixer channels, or bypass the mixer and go right to the filter? Any other ideas? How would others consider doing it?

Thanks
~ Charlie

I've created a ring mod of the unused OTA on the board and I sent it to the mixer before hte filter. Just like an external input, but internal Razz

The X and Y is tapped from the oscillator volume pots and I used a DPDT switch to send them either directly to the filter (ring mod bypassed) or via the ring mod. Cool

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My poor Sound Lab has a spot ready for a RM, but I patched mine. (so not much help) One of these days I'm going to build or buy Ken Stone's passive RM. I see you been visiting lately moose. That tau pipe summoned you Very Happy.
Haven't been to Aron's in a while the synth world sucked me in.

moosapotamus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey WZ... yeah, still just getting my feet wet. But, I'm getting sucked in, too. Razz Can't wait for the tau pipe! Cool And the Klee! Cool And... Cool

I already have a couple of little passive RM boards that I grabbed on ebay a while ago. So, I was thinking of including one in my soundlab.

Pehr... thanks for the reply...

So, did you add another pot and resistor to make a fourth input for the mixer (for the ring mod output)?

Quote:
The X and Y is tapped from the oscillator volume pots and I used a DPDT switch to send them either directly to the filter (ring mod bypassed) or via the ring mod.

Not sure I understand... when the ring mod is bypassed, you also bypass the mixer and send the VCOs directly to the filter?

I'm also planning to add the guitar trigger and am thinking it would be cool to be able to route that external input to one of the ring mod inputs... maybe just have a switch to select either VCO1 or the ext input for one of the RM inputs.

Am I also correct in thinking that, if you tap the oscillators for the ring mod inputs, you can leave them connected to the mixer and be able to blend in the regular VCO sounds with the ring mod sound?

Thanks!
~ Charlie

Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I already have a couple of little passive RM boards that I grabbed on ebay a while ago.
Hmmm I'll have to keep an out out there. I really would like to have one.

I can attest to the guitar trigger it works well. I haven't used it in a while. The enclosure I chose doesn't make it handy and last time I opened it up it had a blown battery Sad so I need to check it out. Anyway it was real sweet tons of interesting tremolo variations and filtering possibilities.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: