electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
making music with the 3080?
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
crashlander42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasn't trying to pressure you. Looking forward to the announcement.

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: making music with the 3080?
Subject description: The 3080 book has landed!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem, Crash. Now the good news, "Making Music With the 3080 OTA" is ready to go!

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1059899

You can get a nice, coil bound print with a color cover for $12. I'd like to thank my team of double-checkers: Loss, Dan, and State Machine for helping me out. They caught some boo boos and made suggestions that were a great help!

Have fun, and shout out if there are any questions. Thanks again, to everyone involved, especially Mr. Thomas Henry.

Tim (back to the soldering iron) Servo
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glad to have been of help!!

please let me know if and when you need help with any other TH books, especially "making music with the ne/sa570 compander"

that one has been on my FIND list for a long time.

3vcos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:

"making music with the ne/sa570 compander"

Whoa, never heard of the makin music with compander book!

What other Tomas Henry books were out there?

Are there any others that may be released?
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: making music with the 3080?
Subject description: Other TH Books
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey 3,

Yes, Thomas has a few other books out there. The next two on my list to publish are "Making Music With the 570 Compander" and "The Noise Generator Cookbook." I'm also looking at "Electronic Music Circuits: The Reprints" but that would be a huge project that could also involve getting permissions from all of the various original sources. Also, any interest in Thomas' "Build a Better Music Synthesizer"?

Tim (tweaking and typing) Servo
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think the compander book will be a big seller as will the noise book. I would concentrate on those for now since they both use more commonly available parts. I have talked to a lot of people who want to read the compander book!!

I just bought ten of those SA571 chips and I cant wait to find out how to really use them well!!

it would be great to eventually have all of his books available.

does the building a better music synthesizer mainly concentrate on CEM chips ?

and please let me know if you need more proofreading or any other help getting these books ready. I think his books (while often still over my head when it comes to the math) are a great way to really learn a lot about a chip or a technique, and no matter what your skill level you can grow with them.

anyway, thanks for providing them!!

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ditto on the offer to proofread.

The "Building A Better" book is I believe pretty much loaded with CEM chip circuits If I recall correctly from the last time I read mine. Still it is a good read.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of all the TH cookbooks I got, the 3080 book was the most enlightening - I finally was able to get a grip on OTAs for the first time. The theory is made as easily understandle as possible, and is quite applicable to other OTAs, like the LM13700. I highly, highly recommend it.

The compandor cookbook was gone before I discovered MAP - it's one I'd sure like to see resurface.

"Build a Better" was what sucked me into the idea of building a synth back in the '80's. There's still a lot of good practical info in it that makes it worth having, even though many of the circuits are CEM/SSM-centric.

Well, it is the 21st century..... Wink

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course if anyone has a stash of CA3094s, they can be used as an alternative, but may nee a little jiggery pokery with a pcb. It's either pin 1 or 6 which is the equivalent 3080 output.
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: making music with the 3080? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, I hadn't seen the 3094 before. Thanks for sharing. The 3094 is listed as a "high current output OTA," and you can see on the spec sheet that there's an extra transistor (set up as open collector) on the output. With the 3080 available from places like Bridechamber and Futurlec, I'd still say it's a relatively easy chip to get. If anyone has some 3094s, let us know if you have done anything with them, and if so, how they behave. Oh, and how much jiggery-pokery they require. Smile

Tim (there's always room for jiggery-pokery) Servo
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey - happy to find out that this book is now available!
Downloading it now - for sure!
TH books are BEST.
& thanks Tim for making it available again.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sending the book out so quickly Tim! And that PACKAGING! Very impressed by that! Very Happy
Absutively WONDERFUL book - after all these years, I've finally read something that spoke about the CA3080 to me in a language that I understand! Very Happy lol

If you need proofreaders for the Noise and Compander (or any other) books, lemme know.

There're still errors in the 3080 book that I found. I haven't reported them though, as I didn't think you'd be doing another run of them. If you'd like them listed, lemme know and I'll send the list off.

(As a related aside: I edited / wrote for, the newsletter for the Manitoba MIDI Users Group, for 5 years, as well as the Winnipeg Analog Group, in the 90's.)
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Making Music with the 3080 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ryk,

Glad you like the book (and the packaging). I went back and forth forever on the cover art, but I like the results.

Please go ahead and report any errors or problems! I can update the files that are used to print the book at any time. New copies are printed as they are ordered, so the fixes take effect almost immediately. Also, I like to keep a list of any errors and print them here every once in a while. Again, newer copies will have the errors fixed, but having a list available means that anyone can update their copy.

One error that I know of is in the 'sidebar' on page 2: about half way down, there is a temperature listing that has an "O" instead of a "0." This makes the listing 8O.33°. I will fix this, but I figured this wouldn't throw anybody for too much of a loop. The other "error" that I know of actually isn't an error. On page 6, the schematic lists R2 twice. However, if you read the third Design Note, you'll see that it says "For balance, the two resistors labeled R2 should match in value."

Still, let me know if you see any others, and thanks!

Tim (typing on my wife's laptop, as my main PC is dead) Servo
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 230
G2 patch files: 319

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Making Music with the 3080 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
(typing on my wife's laptop, as my main PC is dead)

Hmm, that's a lot better than the other way around Shocked anyway, typos are impossible to get rid off, but one should strive ... and then again ... Wink

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: making music with the 3080 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, yes, I always do shoot to completely get rid of the typos (although they can be tricky little devils, especially when using OCR to convert scans). Luckily, since we only do "print on demand," any corrections get into the printed versions immediately.

By the way, we now have The Electronic Drum Cookbook available in printed or PDF version through the print to order service, and Making Music With The NE570 Compander is up next!

Tim (putting a lot of miles on that OCR program) Servo
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: making music with the 3080 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Well, yes, I always do shoot to completely get rid of the typos (although they can be tricky little devils, especially when using OCR to convert scans). Luckily, since we only do "print on demand," any corrections get into the printed versions immediately.

Oopsies!! Sorry Tim! I completely forgot that I was going to forward you the errors that I'd found in the 3080 book, as well. Shall get to that, this weekend. Shocked

Quote:

By the way, we now have The Electronic Drum Cookbook available in printed or PDF version through the print to order service, and Making Music With The NE570 Compander is up next!

Tim (putting a lot of miles on that OCR program) Servo

From all the talk, I'll once again, be a customer of the 570! Smile (Thomas had given me the Drum Cookbook years ago, when I got him a bunch of diodes up here in Canada that he couldn't find, in the States.)
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the book, interesting read and very clear theory.

After reading this book, Jim Patchells 3280 schematics should be doable on the 3080.

The sample and hold is interesting.

http://www.oldcrows.net/~patchell/archives/archives.html

Last edited by widdly on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
SineSurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just downloaded the book, I think is a little bit out of my league(electronics amateur here) but as I have already a bunch of CA3080's i'll see what I can learn Wink
Tronato

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Proofreading Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello!

I've helped you before and don't mind doing it again. PM me if I can be of any help. As a matter of fact it would be a pleasure. Also if you need any translation into spanish or italian I can also help.

Thanks!

TRON
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually - here's a question then. I wish to use 2 halves of an LM13700 to change the current gain in opposite directions.
For the project I imagine, I would need an exact opposite polarity for each of the current control inputs.

I.E. When one LM13700 gain is at maximum, the other's is at minimum and vice versa.

Another way to say it: when I'm feeding the pair of them a +10VDC control range, LM13700 A is at maximum current gain and LM13700 B is at minimum current gain. As that shifts to -10VDC control range, the pair of TOAs change their outputs to their respective opposites.

Can I do this, with a straight inverting opamp follower? Or am I going to have to have an offset included for the other 13700?

Thanks for any help on this! Smile I recently received the book and am slowly learning how to wrap my head around the CA3080 and it's friends. Smile

UPDATE: I found the exact circuit that I mentioned above - inverting the control to the 2nd CA3080 (LM13700) from Joe Paradiso's pdf on his modular that he built in the late 70's. Am going to try that. Smile
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: