electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Chuck, miniaudicle or windows problem?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
djdaphalgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Chuck, miniaudicle or windows problem? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have written a little test sequencer that outputs midi. I use midi yoke to connect miniaudicle with Reason. Everything woks fine if miniaudicle has the focus, but I get a lot of latency if start scrolling the screen in Reason (it seems that the miniaudicle treads are haning for a while until i stop scrolling with my Reason window). Is this problem caused by miniaudicle, chuck, Reason, Windows or maybe by an error in my code? I use asio4all with a crappy soundblaster live, win xp sp2 and a pc with P4 processor.

I have attatched my code, but this code is only a raw test version, I'm planning to rewrite the whole thing. I use midiyoke and connect midiaudicle with Reason. I have a Redrum in Reason and I my code creates a drum 'n base beat.

miditest.ck
 Description:
test code to create a little midi sequencer

Download
 Filename:  miditest.ck
 Filesize:  1.94 KB
 Downloaded:  262 Time(s)

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm, from your description it sounds like the issue might be a shortage of computer power where the Reason interface gets a higher priority then ChucK. It might also be related to video memory, scrolling a window, especially a graphics heavy one such as Reason's may also lead to bottlenecks in your system RAM if you video card shares memory with the system (this is unfortunately very normal on laptop and other build in cards). I know I can get glitches in otherwise well-behaved ChucK code if I start searching and scrolling in the PDF manual.

What you could try is increasing the priority of ChucK/the Mini in your task-manager but this could in turn lead to glitches in Reason, once performance runs out something somewhere will have to give, I fear. there's not much that could be done about that, aside from not scrolling reason ;¬), upgrading :¬( or you could consider moving the sample playback to ChucK....

Do you know the model of your video card? I suspect that's the offending component.

moudi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chuck, miniaudicle or windows problem? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi djdaphalgan
djdaphalgan wrote:
I use asio4all with a crappy soundblaster live, win xp sp2 and a pc with P4 processor.

when your're using a soundblaster live i recommend you to use the asio drivers from the kx-project: www.kxproject.com which are specially made for sb live/audigy cards.

another good source for tunig your computer to get a low latency DAW is this one here: http://www.musicxp.net
the most important thing regarding to kassen's hint would be to set the "processor task planning" (sorry i'm not sure how to translate this to english) optimized for background services if you haven't done it already.

jassas
/moudi
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music-XP is/was a very good resource but I can't find those tips anymore? Do they require some sort of account now?
moudi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Do they require some sort of account now?

seems to be case. I didn't try it til now...
MusicXP.net wrote:
Membership to this portal is Public. Once your account information has been submitted, you will be immediately granted access to the portal environment.

jassas
/moudi
djdaphalgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Hmmmm, from your description it sounds like the issue might be a shortage of computer power where the Reason interface gets a higher priority then ChucK. It might also be related to video memory, scrolling a window, especially a graphics heavy one such as Reason's may also lead to bottlenecks in your system RAM if you video card shares memory with the system (this is unfortunately very normal on laptop and other build in cards). I know I can get glitches in otherwise well-behaved ChucK code if I start searching and scrolling in the PDF manual.

What you could try is increasing the priority of ChucK/the Mini in your task-manager but this could in turn lead to glitches in Reason, once performance runs out something somewhere will have to give, I fear. there's not much that could be done about that, aside from not scrolling reason ;¬), upgrading :¬( or you could consider moving the sample playback to ChucK....

Do you know the model of your video card? I suspect that's the offending component.

My video card is an Nvidia Geforce2 MX. I have 512 MB ram in my system.

Will do some more tests this evening (i am now at work).
djdaphalgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I know I can get glitches in otherwise well-behaved ChucK code if I start searching and scrolling in the PDF manual.

Hey, the same happens here.

One thing I find strange is that the issue doesn't happen if I rewire Reason to an other daw (maybe that's because of the way rewire is implemented, do not know), and I can scroll as much pdf files as I want while playing Reason, no glitches.

Does the same issue also exists on a Mac? (take not: I do NOT want to start an other long Mac vs PC battle)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would predict that similar things would happen on the lower end Mac's that also have video-cards that share RAM.

It's kinda hard to compare because I don't think anybody will run OSX on 512MB of RAM, then multi-task audio. XP is easier to strip down but of course there is a limit.

Multi-tasking realtime audio is simply heavy on computers and at some point it will glitch, especially with graphically heavy stuff like Reason involved.

Mac's might have a edge since they have 3d stuff (which Reason uses, right? I never used Reason) build into the windows manager and of course Ge and the other developers gravitate towards Apple but OSX will likely have more problems with a comparable system then a tuned-down version of XP.

See? We can compare them technologically without going all "versus" :¬) I'm on XP and Linux and thinking about adding a Mac if I can get around some of the things that annoy me about them. ChucK should be the same as much as possible for all three.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: