electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Recording Micro knob movements
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Recording Micro knob movements
Subject description: Recording Micro knob movements
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a while since I've used the micromodular....(all those softsynths! Rolling Eyes ) and now I'm getting back into it again this time using it and the editor in OSX but I'm having trouble recording knob movements into Pro Tools 6.4. While The 3 knobs work fine and control sound, the knob movements aren't being played back and I don't know what CC#s these knobs are assigned to. On my NL2 everything is hardwired and I know that the filter cutoff on it is #74 but is it similar on the micro? How can I record midi NRPNs with these 3 knobs?
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Micro knob movements

Gothboy wrote:
On my NL2 everything is hardwired and I know that the filter cutoff on it is #74 but is it similar on the micro? How can I record midi NRPNs with these 3 knobs?

No, the knobs do not have dedicated CC's assigned, and neither do the settings in any patch. The reason for this is that each patch is different, and it's quite possible that a given patch may not even have a filter but still use CC 74 for another parameter.

As far as being able to send NRPN"s from the micro, I'm not sure if this is possible. The NM1 doesn't have a flexible midi implementation. I'm not sure the G2 could send NRPN's either, even though it has a much more powerful midi implementation.

Your best bet would be to find some free (or cheap) software that will map standard CC's to the NRPN's that you want to send from the NM.

I know there is software for Windows to do this, and I would most certainly expect something for the Mac as well.

There are a few Mac users on electro-music, maybe one of them will reply with the name of some Mac software that will do the mapping.
You should also do a search from the highest level down, for Mac software, Mac midi , and other combinations. Maybe you will find some of these posts.

It almost sounds like the problem is on The pro tools side.
Can you try using standard CC's, and see if these can be recorded from the micro into pro tools?

Why do you want to use NRPN's instead of CC's?
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Recording Micro knob movements

cappy2112 wrote:
No, the knobs do not have dedicated CC's assigned, and neither do the settings in any patch. The reason for this is that each patch is different, and it's quite possible that a given patch may not even have a filter but still use CC 74 for another parameter.

After doing some backward thinking and looking through the manual again this part was clear. Because the modular system is so flexible and each physical knob can be mapped to any knob in the software they of course are not hardwired so silly me on that one! Rolling Eyes But there must be some way of twisting a physical knob and having the movement recorded into not just Pro Tools but on any sequencing software.

cappy2112 wrote:
It almost sounds like the problem is on The pro tools side.
Can you try using standard CC's, and see if these can be recorded from the micro into pro tools?
Why do you want to use NRPN's instead of CC's?

Silly me again...... Rolling Eyes ! I think I'm getting my NRPNs and CCs mixed up. My system seems to be working properly though, as I tested it using my M-audio controller and the Gforce Oddity. I have knob 9 on it bound to the Oddity VCF cutoff and I recorded a knob move into PT. On the PT midi track I then added CC12 as a controller and I can then view the knob movements recording. So PT's working.....I just want to be able to do the same with the knobs on the micro. So I guess I'm just talking about CCs here.

Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

Last edited by Gothboy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording Micro knob movements

Gothboy wrote:

recording. So PT's working.....I just want to be able to do the same with the knobs on the micro. So I guess I'm just talking about CCs here.

Can we eliminate all of the complexity from this equation first?

1. I don't have pro tools nor a Mac.
2. Try to find some simple free midi monitor software that displays everything coming into it.

Connect ONLY the micro to the midi in port on the mac, and make a simple patch with just a few modules. If you are using a midi patch bay, then bypass it for the moment. (You wouldn't be the first person to get the midi in/out's backwards or confused with the PC in/out ports. I use color color coded cables to help prevent this Wink

Assign a few different cc's to the knobs on those modules, and tweak away. Lets verify the micro is transmitting first, then worry about getting those settings recorded later. You may have to go into the editor menu settings to enable something to get this working.

I'm at work now, so I'm not in front of the manual or the micro, so I can't guide you better.
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Cappy for all your help so far, nice of you to pitch in....even from work!
This morning I re-cabled everything between the Micro and the midi interface. I've got the micros' regular midi in and out on port 3 of the interface and the editor in/out on port 4. Using just the Macs' Audio midi setup and completely eliminating Pro Tools from the testing tells me that midi is being sent to the micro on port 3. Same with port 4 but here's the thing, knob movements are only being sent to port 4....the editor....to control the knobs in the editor. So the question is how can knob movements be also sent on port 3. Can they only be sent on one port at a time? Seems to me that both sets of midi in/outs on the micro should be able to do both. I guess this question has to be answered by anyone who is using the micro with a sequencer, any sequencer, not just Pro Tools.
Can the micros' knobs send midi on both of it's in/outs or is it just the editor outs?

Last edited by Gothboy on Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
Can the micros' knobs send midi on both of it's in/outs or is it just the editor outs?

It sends knob movements as CC messages on the regular MIDI port.

That you see activity on the editor port as as well is because the editor's (virtual, on screen) knobs rotate along with the physical knobs, but those are not usable CC messages for other equipment. The editor connection is only usable for the editor and for nothing else.

Here is how to set things up :

In the editor right click on a knob on a module and assign the virtual knob to a physical one. Then right click again and also assign the virtual knob to a MIDI CC number. Now when you turn the physical knob MIDI CC messages will be put out on the regular MIDI output and that same CC message will be listened to through the regular MIDI input.

Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I was outside shoveling snow(we're getting hit yet again with a storm here in New England Rolling Eyes ) I was thinking that if you right click on a knob in the software there must be a way to assign a CC# to that knob and then if a physical knob is assigned to the software knob......... Idea Thanks Jan, I'll try this out and post results.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're welcome, and you could send some snow this way, I'd love some Laughing
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why the heck would you want snow? It's only useful for skiing.......! There's now about 12-15" here, you can have it all, I have no use for it. Exclamation

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
Why the heck would you want snow? It's only useful for skiing.......! There's now about 12-15" here, you can have it all, I have no use for it. Exclamation

We don't have snow very often, and when we have it's usually just an inch or so max. Dunno, it's good for my mood, and I thought you were having too much anyway... Rolling Eyes

Got it working?

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Common Jan Smile

Here's a picture of winter 2005, in your neighborhood. Is this an inch max?
Most people in The Netherlands didn't know what to do, that winter.
Just move it Very Happy

Wout

BTW a new avatar?

009GedekteTafel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.85 KB
 Viewed:  6101 Time(s)

009GedekteTafel.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Here's a picture of winter 2005, in your neighborhood. Is this an inch max?

Nope that was a bit more and I remember it took me a few hours to get home that day where it should take less than half an hour, but I said "usually" Rolling Eyes

Yup new avatar, got nostalgic and picked an image from grandma's time and grandma's home Very Happy

Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway......... arrow back to my issue. I assigned knob 1 to a filter cut in a patch, then using another right-click I assigned the filter cut to cc19. Then I recorded a knob turn over a midi part in PT and added cc19 as an added controller but the knob turn still isn't playing back. I know midi is getting to the interface because when I turn the knob after the assignment the right interface port flashes. Hummm......so it's pointing now to PT as being the culprit but this works with the NL2 and my softsynths...? Confused
I've got midi merge on, the micro is in the instrument input list and PT isn't screening any midi stuff out. I should be able to do this in a sequencer right? I'd post this on the DUC but no one there would know about the micro....only you guys. Wink So I'm a little stuck.....midi, sound, all seems to be going through PT but not the knob turns.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
Anyway......... arrow back to my issue.

Yes sir, you are right, sorry for the OT.

What you did should work and the indications seem good. Time for a PT expert to kick in I guess ... erm .. one thing left I can think of .. the MIDI channel, is that set OK?

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
... I know midi is getting to the interface because when I turn the knob after the assignment the right interface port flashes. Hummm......so it's pointing now to PT as being the culprit but this works with the NL2 and my softsynths...? Confused ...
What causes the flashing? It could be the Synth MidiOut, like the NordLead2, but it could also be the PC Midi Out, the connection of the synth with the Editor...

Wout
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
[ the MIDI channel, is that set OK?

Midi channel is 1, as the micro only uses channel 1 right? The flashing is the midi sent to 3 which is the port the micro is on, the editor is on 4. What do you guys use, Logic or something?

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
Midi channel is 1, as the micro only uses channel 1 right?
No! You can set the MidiChannel by using Shift and turn the knob labeled 'Midi'. The LCD will tell you which channel...

[Manual 3.01 - Page 61]

Wout
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doh! Shocked Maybe that's it. I haven't even thought about that. Allright I'm not in front of it right now I'm making dinner......I'll check it ASAP but I never changed it so I'm not counting on this as being the prob but......famous last words, eh? Laughing

Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All set now! The micro was on the right midi channel after all, what I didn't do was have "All" selected in the midi tracks' input and the micro as it's output. Rolling Eyes I've never quite understood why "All" has to be used as a generic midi input for control and not the specific instrument itself from the drop list but it's working now and I know what I did wrong. I've got all three knobs doing 3 different cc controls in a midi track. Hoorah! Thanks guys. Wink

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jackson dancing
Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

santa

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: