electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Triangle Core VCO w/ thru-zero
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GlassX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Triangle Core VCO w/ thru-zero
Subject description: VCO
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello, friends! I've been lurking for a while, but never had the guts to post anything here until now.

I'm a musician and recently became interested in synthesizers. Being a Buchla fan, I wanted a triangle core VCO, but didn't want to deal with transcondutance amplifiers (discrete or 3080) or current mirrors, so I challenged myself to build my own design.

Ok, here it goes...

My circuit uses two operational amplifiers, one being the integrator (in a weird configuration using a JFET to change polarity of the current - and thus the direction of the triangle wave) and the schmitt trigger. The JFET+integrator topology is a novel configuration I found on some old textbooks. This is my main concern, because on EVERY oscillator I found (apart from perhaps the ARP2500) there are no resistors between the exponential current sink and the VCO capacitor.

Now on the thru-zero... It felt a bit like Doc Brown inventing the flux-capacitor, I just thought about it and it just worked when I tested...

It's based around the Electronotes circuit on Bernie's page... but instead of two op-amps and a flip flop I'm using just a single schmitt trigger.

The schmitt trigger (as everyone knows) swings the output (and thus the triangle wave direction) the moment the input reaches threshold. To arbitrarily swing the direction (as on a thru-zero VCO), we have to momentarily reduce the threshold... I use a JFET for it... and it works...

I'd like to get everyones opinion on this... because I don't really know if it's a good design or not. I'm still learning about synthesizers... I started about a month ago, so, please help me. It works perfectly on the simulator (the software even renders a WAVE file), but I don't know about the real life.

Thanks for the attention!

VCO.jpg
 Description:
Here's the SPICE (LTSPICE/SwCAD actually) screenshot. The blue spikes change the direction.
 Filesize:  198.46 KB
 Viewed:  1123 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

VCO.jpg

VCO Schematic.jpg
 Description:
Sorry about the 2N2222 and LT1001... I did the schematic in a hurry and just used whatever was available =]
 Filesize:  69.04 KB
 Viewed:  1986 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

VCO Schematic.jpg

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello GlassX

welcome welcome welcome

Nice work - what is going on in the 'scope picture towards the right where the waveform seem to break up?
Anyway it sure looks like some thru-0 action!

Do you plan to build this cct with components?
GlassX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
Nice work - what is going on in the 'scope picture towards the right where the waveform seem to break up?
Anyway it sure looks like some thru-0 action!

Do you plan to build this cct with components?

Thanks for the welcome Smile

To the right? I think the frequency is increasing, because I wanted to emphasize the time-reversal effect (I haven't designed the zero-crossing detector yet)... by the way, the pictures are heavily aliased, 'cause I don't have Photoshop here, just MSPaint... Sad

In theory the time-reversal JFET seems to work! I know that thru-zero became some of a marketing catchphrase today, but I just wanted to make it into something as easy to implement as sync...

I've breadboarded it, but I still need an oscilloscope to calibrate it... hope it works as good as on the software Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX wrote:
by the way, the pictures are heavily aliased, 'cause I don't have Photoshop here, just MSPaint... Sad

No, the forum software does it, when you click on the pics they'll show OK though Very Happy

And welcome

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle Core VCO w/ thru-zero

GlassX wrote:

My circuit uses two operational amplifiers, one being the integrator (in a weird configuration using a JFET to change polarity of the current - and thus the direction of the triangle wave) and the schmitt trigger. The JFET+integrator topology is a novel configuration I found on some old textbooks. This is my main concern, because on EVERY oscillator I found (apart from perhaps the ARP2500) there are no resistors between the exponential current sink and the VCO capacitor.

welcome
I've seen this configuration for a voltage controlled oscillator but never with current control. How does it work?

Very Happy

Ian
GlassX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Triangle Core VCO w/ thru-zero

frijitz wrote:
GlassX wrote:

welcome
I've seen this configuration for a voltage controlled oscillator but never with current control. How does it work?

Very Happy

Ian

Hi Ian and Blue Hell!

Ian, this was my main doubt, actually...

I don't have much info on current-controlled oscillators apart from what I found on old patents and synthesizer circuits (your site was of tremendous help). I don't know about this yet, but I'm trying to find something in my book! It's been just a month that I decided I wanted to learn everything about analog circuits, so I'm just starting Smile

(EDIT) I've done some calculations and read some stuff here, and R3/R4 are acting as "passive current-to-voltage sources". It seens okay math-wise, but I'm still trying to find more info about the stability and accuracy of such circuit... Confused

Cheers!
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*cough* bump *cough*
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
*cough* bump *cough*

Except that GlassX has disappeared (aparently, and according to some dude from NYC who flambéed me in a PM, because he was miffed that GlassX had gone awol and was nowhere to be seen Shocked ) Confused

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah really? Has anyone breadboarded this or tested it further? Seems too simple to pass up. I'd be willing to do a layout if it's okee dokee with GlassX Smile
synthmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

breadboarded this with no thru-zero luck. It'll act as a standard sawtooth oscillator, but not triangle. Not sure how that happened exactly...Any thoughts?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
...Any thoughts?

Yes. Buy Ian's Teezer kit! Idea Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I wanna make this one work Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: