electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Snare+/ADV-Snare circuits - still worth building?
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
SaucyJack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Snare+/ADV-Snare circuits - still worth building? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

Getting back in the DIY game after an extended hiatus (some of you can relate). Hoping Mr. Henry or someone familiar with the circuits will see this message. I still have an unbuilt Snare+ (the SN76477 one) and ADV-Snare kit sitting here that I was going to start working on. However, now that the SN-Voice is available and the MPS circuit is on the horizon, I would like to know if it would still be worth my time to build these older designs or focus on the new ones?

So you can understand where I am coming from, I am most interested in creating unique, bizarre percussive sounds, the more pot-based parameters the better. If anyone can recommend any other good circuits for this purpose, please chime in!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

saucy,

personally, I would use any SN76477 for an SN Voice or possibly a SuperController. I believe the ADV-Snare doesn't use an SN76477, so I would go ahead and build that. I really loved my Snare+, but I used the SN76477 for one of my SN Voices which I love way more.

If you decide not to build the ADV-snare, I'd be willing to trade something for it. I have a number of chips used on the various projects listed here.

Oh, and welcome to the E-M Forum!

Dan
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say if you have it, build it. If you want the the other, build it too!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally owning my own ADV-Snare and knowing what the MPS will be able to do, I would say build an MPS or two and don't bother with the ADV unit. The ADV has a really bad diode based filter design, which BTW was a part that TH did not design, that really has no real response to speak of. The MPS impact generator will blow away the ADV's impact generator. The MPS has a much better filter design also. So, for a bigger bang, go with the MPS and Not the ADV unit ......... Dont get me wrong, I like my ADV, BUT, the MPS is better and more versatile.

Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I would say if you have it, build it. If you want the the other, build it too!

Now there's the spirit Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill. Just my practicl side showing. Don't like things going to waste.

But I, being less experienced with these circuits, will bow in humble acknowledgement to the greater geek. (LOL).

Dan
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Saucy

Thomas wrote a song about you ........ Very Happy

Just scroll down the page a bit, you will see it .......... Wink

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-21634-25.html

Bill
SaucyJack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill - Haha that's great! I hadn't read a bit of that thread until just now. Maybe Thomas (no longer goes by Tom?) is a fellow Spinal Tap fan. "You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack..."

BTW Bill and Dan, thanks very much for the opinions on the Snare+ and ADV-Snare. I have enough to work on anyways - most importantly this
Blacet Klang Werk kit sitting here.

And thanks to the rest of you guys for posting in this thread. Good people make a great forum, and I can already tell this is a good one.

Brett
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill - Haha that's great! I hadn't read a bit of that thread until just now. Maybe Thomas (no longer goes by Tom?) is a fellow Spinal Tap fan. "You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack..."

Well, I did not even catch on man !!! I had not seen the movie for years !!

Quote:
BTW Bill and Dan, thanks very much for the opinions on the Snare+ and ADV-Snare. I have enough to work on anyways - most importantly this
Blacet Klang Werk kit sitting here.

Oh dude, I have a Klang Werk !!!!! Very nice module with a mad sound indeed !! The VC carrier wave and input overdrive are cool features. Tune in the right mix and you get those classic bell sounds !! Cool

Quote:
And thanks to the rest of you guys for posting in this thread. Good people make a great forum, and I can already tell this is a good one.

Thanks and I am sure the guys will appreciated the kind comments. You will find the DIY forum very active. there are many projects brewing also so the next few months will be interesting. I will be releasing a keyboard controller design, Thomas is releasing the Mega Percussive Synthesizer, Scott's Klee design is going strong with many folks building that, check out the cool PIC "18F" based Fractal synthesizer in the Microcontroller forum. This is the tip if the iceberg as they say so welcome !! Very Happy

Bill
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SaucyJack wrote:
Maybe Thomas (no longer goes by Tom?) is a fellow Spinal Tap fan. "You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack...

I've heard of the group, but don't know anything about them...but, this song is part of a Whitechapel Suite, remembering the five victims of the Saucy Jack (Jack the Ripper) from 1888.

Thomas Henry
Thomas Henry

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Thomas is releasing the Mega Percussive Synthesizer

Perhaps, but only through schematics via Scott Stites' Web site at some time in the future. Any further designs of other projects will appear through his site, which he has generously offered to host them.

This is, in fact, my last posting to EM.

Thomas Henry
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thomas Henry wrote:
This is, in fact, my last posting to EM.

Shocked

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, since this was Thomas' last message here he will probably not explain Wink

I heard word that Thomas wants to spend more time on designing, which is a noble decision I think.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Perhaps, but only through schematics via Scott Stites' Web site at some time in the future. Any further designs of other projects will appear through his site, which he has generously offered to host them.

I respect your decision to not post anymore but the MPS as far as I heard, and saw behind the scenes, is much more than just schematics. I know it has been delayed some bt I am sure lots of folks are OK with that as it just means that it will be close to "perfect". Does this mean (I know you may answer) that the MPS will not be released as an electro-music product on the store?

Enough annoying questions I guess .... Crying or Very sad

Bill
SaucyJack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Bill. I read though the MPS thread and the information there seemed to indicate that a PCB run was not only expected, but inevitable. So this latest information is confusing to say the least.

Regardless of this, I am disappointed to see that Thomas will not be around to contribute his thoughts from time to time. However, I do respect his decision and I thank him very much for what he has done (and continues to do) for this community.

Brett
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My primary interest is also a variety of percussion-based modules. So far I have a UD-1, Clangora, CGS Cynare, and clones of the 808 Kick, Snare, Clap and Cowbell. I would really like alternate, complementary choices for basic sounds such as kick and snare -- so I was very interested in the Snare+ or ADV-Snare too. I would be interested in your boards/kits if you're not going to build them -- or further info/thoughts if you do build them. Smile
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to echo Bill and Saucy's sentiments. I have a deep respect for Mr Henry's knowledge and was delighted to read his posts. I have bought every hard copy of his from Magic Smoke that they sell, and have plans to buy every one they sell in the future (Hint, hint there Scott !!!)

I thank you Thomas for your contributions and wonderful posts here. I really love your designs and look forward to seeing more of them. If life takes you to places and ways that do not allow us to interact as before, I want you to know you have my thanks, you have my best wishes for your future, and you have my personal invitation to pull up a stump at my fire and sit a spell any time you like. Tell me / us a story, share a circuit, whatever you care to, you will always have my welcome and my rapt attention. Tell me where I can buy your wares, I will spend my time and money there as well.

Thomas, you have been and still are an inspiration to me, I appreciate what you have shared. Thank you.
philpeery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I thank you Thomas for your contributions and wonderful posts here. I really love your designs and look forward to seeing more of them.

I agree 150% with you Danno! I've learned more from building Mr. Henry's designs over the years that I can even begin to tell you! I still have, and use on a regular basis, his SSM2040 low pass filter design from an publication called "Common Mode" from the 80's, as well as his CEM3340 deluxe VCO. Having his designs available again after MAP closed up shop has been a very cool thing. With his contributions here, there's so much more to do! It has been great having him here, and I hope his creativity continues to find an outlet so that we can all benefit from his designs!

Phil
SaucyJack

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey creatorlars,

Thanks for posting that Clangora mp3 in the other thread. Frickin' sweet!

Are there any other DIYers in the DFW area? We need to do a DIY jam session.
stinkebeest

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys,

so is there any place i could find the schematics for the Adv-snare (and perhaps also the snare + ) ?

I have schematics for the adv-bassand bass++, love the simplicity of
those circuits, perfect for excersizing my pcb-designing skills.

So i would love to also have a go at the snare variants Wink

Cheers,

Rudi
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I have schematics for the adv-bassand bass++, love the simplicity of
those circuits, perfect for excersizing my pcb-designing skills.

Pssssssst ... don't tell anyone BUT a QUAD version of Thomas Henry's Bass++ is coming very very soon .......... that's 4 Bass++ modules on a single circuit card ... build 1, 2, 3, or all 4 on the card ..... as your drum system grows ... they are all independant of each other Wink

but if you want to brush up on your PCB skills, yes, these are simple enough to start with ... Cool Great choice !

PM me ... I have some other information for you ......... Wink

Bill
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill,

OK, the cat is out of the bag! I'll help with any questions if I can.

Skinkebeest: you could build a Bass++ and mix a little noise in to create a snare.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
OK, the cat is out of the bag! I'll help with any questions if I can.

Skinkebeest: you could build a Bass++ and mix a little noise in to create a snare.

Woops, I did, didn't I? ........ hehe well, now that I did .... you see, Dan suggested the idea and I went along with it and we just sort of decided a few things together including how many of the Bass++ circuits should be on a single circuit card .... of course we decided on 4 drum voices and Dan got to work on the PC board and I got to work on the documentation.

The "official" thread on the QUAD Bass++ module will be out soon.

BTW, that's a very good idea to just mix in some noise into the Bass++ for a snare sound .... Cool

Bill
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still haven't built my SN-Vs or my UD1s yet but bring it on!!!
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill Says:
Quote:
BTW, that's a very good idea to just mix in some noise into the Bass++ for a snare sound .... Cool

Well, that's the cheap way to do it. A better way is to look at Chapter 16 of TH's Electronic Drum Cookbook, but a whole 'nother level of complexity!

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: