electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
GlassX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, here's a 200e-style cabinet I just finished... I had three aluminum boxes I was going to use for desktop-mount of modules, but I changed my mind and decided to make it like a Buchla 200e cabinet, because it's portable and very... cute. I just had to make the wood ends and do some fiddling with CadSTD and Autocad to get the design right. Well, it works and looks great! Now I just have to make some holes and new panels for my old modules.

If anyones wants the CadSTD/Autocad files for the wood parts, I'll post them here (If I'm allowed to)

Hope I'm not breaking any copyright law or something. I just did it because it's a fantastic design... Smile

041908122931-00.jpg
 Description:
(Taken with my phone camera...)
 Filesize:  51.63 KB
 Viewed:  851 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

041908122931-00.jpg

041908123007-00.jpg
 Description:
(Closed cabinet... the "blue" colour is because there's a sticker to protect the aluminum. I won't take it out until the modules are ready to preserve it)
 Filesize:  50.07 KB
 Viewed:  788 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

041908123007-00.jpg

buchlajoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you have Buchla modules to install?
100 , 200 , 200e?

hmmmm.....
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Buchla 200e Cabinet Rip-Off Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX wrote:
I just did it because it's a fantastic design... Smile

Wow, I've never seen that, folds up for transport! Very nice design!

Coriolis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, that IS cool! Always thought that was a great design...
Hmm, I wouldn't mind looking at those Autocad files. Could you pm them or post them?

Hope to se that thing full of modules soon...!

C
GlassX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buchlajoe wrote:
do you have Buchla modules to install?
100 , 200 , 200e?

hmmmm.....

Nope... I wish! But I have boards ready to use for the quintessential Buchla modules - AD/AR, Lopass/Gate and dual VCO. They're not exactly the same circuits (only the lopass), but I was inspired by the layout and Mr. Buchla ideas! Smile
GlassX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coriolis wrote:
Hey, that IS cool! Always thought that was a great design...
Hmm, I wouldn't mind looking at those Autocad files. Could you pm them or post them?

Hope to se that thing full of modules soon...!

C

PM Sent! Smile
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice!

how do you make it stand up in a curve without collapsing or being wobbley?

GlassX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr Clack wrote:
nice!

how do you make it stand up in a curve without collapsing or being wobbley?

Well, there are two feet to hold the middle boat (not installed yet), and two "stoppers" (I don't know the exact word) to keep the two boats in place in relation to the middle. It's hard to explain, but here's a website with photos of the the Buchla cabinet that helped me a lot: http://www.synthi.se/bcab/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! That's very cool/ nice!!! Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Sound

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi GlassX this is very nice! Very Happy

How you did the aluminium boxes?
GlassX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sound wrote:
Hi GlassX this is very nice! Very Happy

How you did the aluminium boxes?

Hi! I got them at a metal shop near my house, where I also buy my (aluminium too) panel plates. I asked them to fold the metal sheets for me. They also sell other materials... At first I tought about doing it in steel, but I just love the look of brushed aluminium Smile
cbm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also worth noting that there are bolts that fit through little metal flanges, when the cabinet is unfolded. These get little knurled brass nuts screwed onto them to keep the cabinet solid. You can see the flanges and bolts in the folded-up picture that site: http://www.synthi.se/bcab/b4.jpg

-C

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX wrote:
I just love the look of brushed aluminium Smile

Don't know why & don't know why I type this Laughing

To me your avatar matches the look of brushed aluminum. And it's a beautiful picture. I spent time on it guessing about what's gong on.

Luka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great job

im in the process of designing an all wood buchla-esqe cabinet
could you send you your cad files so i can compare

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX, I too would like to see the CAD files if that isn't too much of a problem? If it's AutoCAD, would you mind sending them as R2004 files?

Thanks for the links too! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GlassX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
GlassX wrote:
I just love the look of brushed aluminium Smile

Don't know why & don't know why I type this Laughing

To me your avatar matches the look of brushed aluminum. And it's a beautiful picture. I spent time on it guessing about what's gong on.

Thanks!!!! It was quite simple, actually, I just cranked the levels on my old digital camera (it had an photoshop-like level adjustment), but lighting made the difference, I guess Smile
GlassX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(PMs sent!)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX, what are the x (w),y (h) and z (d) dimensions of the metal cabinets?

fwiw, originally when I saw the Buchla it took me two takes before I realised how small the thing was! Have you based the dimensions on eurorack sizes? AutoCAD is giving me a reading of 5.9056cm for the height (y) - that can't be right can it Confused I'm hoping I can scale the diagrams.

Also while we're here, a quick shout or 'plug' is due here for Ribbonsoft's brilliant CAD software; QCad. (www.ribbonsoft.com) Cool

GlassX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
GlassX, what are the x (w),y (h) and z (d) dimensions of the metal cabinets?

fwiw, originally when I saw the Buchla it took me two takes before I realised how small the thing was! Have you based the dimensions on eurorack sizes? AutoCAD is giving me a reading of 5.9056cm for the height (y) - that can't be right can it Confused I'm hoping I can scale the diagrams.

Also while we're here, a quick shout or 'plug' is due here for Ribbonsoft's brilliant CAD software; QCad. (www.ribbonsoft.com) Cool

My metal boats are very small indeed! They are 40x15x5 cm. As I mentioned, I chose a new form factor using round numbers in metric format for ease of construction, so, they're not standard. The wood sides are 1cm taller than the cabinet for asthetic reasons.

The original 200e boat (the 12 modules version), OTOH, is 7"x17"x4"...

However, I believe that scaling the drawing to your favourite form factor is the best option... if you scale the wood parts to about the same size, they're gonna fold right Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm going to scale the whole lot together. I've already imported the lot into Qcad. I'll post the reslts when I'm done Very Happy
mistercooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simply beautiful. I wouldn't mind any a pm with the cad stuff either. Thanks!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GlassX wrote:

My metal boats are very small indeed! They are 40x15x5 cm.

You're not wrong there!! Laughing 5cm deep??! Shocked That doesn't leave a lot of room for component height tolerances or power distribution Confused

-but then again I opened up my Palm computer last night to change the battery- that really was a feat of space engineering! Shocked Laughing

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah i'd be interested in the CAD file to Smile
macumbista

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boa tarde! Same here, would love to get the CAD file. Any reason you don't just post to the forum? Otherwise, PM is fine.

Also, can anyone recommend free/free+open source CAD editor for Linux and/or OSX?

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to build this enclosure also, although I don't have a CAD editor. I'm guessing the critical dimensions here are for the wooden sides. If anyone builds one of these scaled for 7" Buchla panels-- It would be really great to see the side panel measurements/drawing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: