electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Tools for Sonar
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Tools for Sonar Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't play well enough to produce adequate realizations of my music so the first thing I did when I got sonar was to write a set of CAL routines that allow me to start with midi data literally transformed from score and massage it into an expressive state. The rubato routines that make span invariant tempo changes are especially usefull (to me anyway).

The programs are accessed from a small StudioWare button pad which I call the EnigmaPad because there are no labels on it. This keeps the pad quite small while providing access to a goodly number of routines.

I have attached a text file that explains the function of each button. The folder that holds the CAL routines, the tables, the StudioWare button pad and the afore mentioned text file runs about 850KB....

EDIT: I've zipped it and attached it to the next post.

I have recently loaded this into Sonar 3 so I can aver that it works for both Sonar 2 and 3.

The programs rather messy and rely on tables to accomplish nonlinear effects rather that a Taylor series. Interpolation of tables without floating point support was challenge enough. But if I had it to do over again I would definitely use a Taylor series.

EnigmaPad listing.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  EnigmaPad listing.txt
 Filesize:  6.91 KB
 Downloaded:  217 Time(s)

Last edited by bachus on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Enigma Here. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The zipped folder that contains the EnigmaPad is attached to this post. The first person (if there be such) to download is my beta tester. Wink

installation should go as follows:
___Unzip the archive to its own folder, say X.
___In Sonar, under the menu item Options select Global.
___Under Global Options select the tab "Folders."
___Set the path for CAL Files to the X folder.
______ ( You could put these in your regular CAL folder. But there are
______ ~350 files in the enigma pad folder and by their numbers they
______ are likely to make difficult finding your regulars.)

Begin use as follows:
___In Sonar open the project with the midi data upon which you want to operate.
___ From the menu select File,
______Select open.
______Set "Look in:" to the path for the X folder.
______Set "Files of type:" to either All Cakewalk or StudioWare.
______"EnigmaPad" should show in the selection list.
______Select "EnigmaPad" and then select "Open"

The dialog should close and the pad should appear in the project work space. It will remain in the project from session to session until you close it. Use the documentation "Enigma Pad Documentation.txt" in folder X to figure out which buttons do what and how. Remember that StudioWare objects can be set to float (click the upper left hand corner button and select "Enable Floating").

One more thing: The pad page select buttons, the two large ones on top should be mutually exclusive but it seems that StudioWare doesn't provide tabs or "radio" buttons so there will be times you will have to close page two to see all of page one. Again if someone knows better please let me know and I'll fix this.

EnigmaPad.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  EnigmaPad.zip
 Filesize:  242.23 KB
 Downloaded:  249 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting this. I'll certainly look at it, but I've got a fallen tree in the back yard that leaning on some power lines to take care of first. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bachus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bug report.

If you apply Sonars "Fit to Time" process to notes many of the Enigma operators act screwy on those notes unless you save close and reopen Sonar after "Fit to Time"

Attached is an example of using rubato. This example used a non-linear rubato followed by a linear rubato.

Rubato.jpg
 Description:
Before and After
 Filesize:  28.85 KB
 Viewed:  3193 Time(s)

Rubato.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: