electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ARP Odyssey Oscillators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 20 [488 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AndyR1960 wrote:
VCO 2 provides the sync signal, and as shown on my layout, sync occurs when the switch toggle is down. In the "up" position the sync input to VCO 1 is tied to -15v via a 100k resistor, which prevents any spurious re-triggering.

So if VCO 2 provides the sync signal then VCO 2 is the master osc and VCO 1 is the one that resets, the slave osc, right?
Broadwave

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:

So if VCO 2 provides the sync signal then VCO 2 is the master osc and VCO 1 is the one that resets, the slave osc, right?

Yes, that's right Smile

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AndyR1960 wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Yes, that's right Smile

Thanks Very Happy
funkyfarm

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mki...mkiii... Embarassed
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Here's a MOTM style panel I've made. It's huge.

EDIT - I'm not so great with photo software and can't export from FPD, so I'm just attaching the FPD file.

Nice looking panel!

One thing I'm not clear about, and it's very definitely me being a bit dumb, but is the hole in the bottom right hand corner a trigger input?
e-grad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It should be triangle out!?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

It's a Triangle wave output. I'm adding a sine & triangle out for LFO use:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-30667.html#224604

LetterBeacon wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
Here's a MOTM style panel I've made. It's huge.

EDIT - I'm not so great with photo software and can't export from FPD, so I'm just attaching the FPD file.

Nice looking panel!

One thing I'm not clear about, and it's very definitely me being a bit dumb, but is the hole in the bottom right hand corner a trigger input?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy,

The docs you posted specify that the Manual PW pot is wired as a voltage divider between 0V & -15V - I just wanted to verify how to correctly wire this to the pot - would -15V go to the CCW lug and ground to the CW lug or vice-versa?

Thanks!
Broadwave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
I just wanted to verify how to correctly wire this to the pot - would -15V go to the CCW lug and ground to the CW lug or vice-versa?

Hi Numbertalk,

Ground (0V) goes to the CCW lug, and -15V to CW.

Cheers.

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
numbertalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Andy!

Finished wiring up and trimming my board tonight and it all works! Need to etch and wire up the saw-to-tri converter and get brackets in an order I'm waiting on from Bridechamber then I can mount it in my synth! Here are a couple photos - the wiring is a total rat's nest at the moment.

I'm at my upload max so photos linked from Flickr.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:

Finished wiring up and trimming my board tonight and it all works!

Paul,

Beautiful job man! It looks fantastic.

I really love this VCO, definitely my favorite sounding of all osc. I've built so far (MFOS, CGS, EFM). How do you like yours?

Thanks for posting this pic, really inspiring me to get mine paneled up!
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Chris!

I love it - the sync sounds really special, as expected.

ericcoleridge wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Finished wiring up and trimming my board tonight and it all works!

Paul,

Beautiful job man! It looks fantastic.

I really love this VCO, definitely my favorite sounding of all osc. I've built so far (MFOS, CGS, EFM). How do you like yours?

Thanks for posting this pic, really inspiring me to get mine paneled up!
Jaba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I know this thread has been silent for about a month, but I'll try the same...

first of all, thank you all for sharing a lot of interesting info here

then straight into the hard stuff:

- looking at the ARP Odyssey's service manual, on the board B-II PCB, I can clearly see a thin copper track running around some components (maybe some sort of a shielding, I don't know) in each oscillator, connected to the source of Q16 for VCO-1 and to the source of Q9 in VCO-2; in the schematic on previous page, it is represented by a dashed line;
well, is there a reason why it has not been copied in your clone PCB for VCOs ? I guess it was there for a reason, does anybody know ?

- has anyone thought about adding linear FM inputs to these VCOs ? to me, it would definitely make them my ideal oscillators, since nothing else is missing that I would want

Last edited by Jaba on Tue May 12, 2009 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadwave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jaba wrote:

- looking at the ARP Odyssey's service manual, on the board B-II PCB, I can clearly see a thin copper track running around some components (maybe some sort of a shielding, I don't know) in each oscillator, connected to the source of Q16 for VCO-1 and to the source of Q9 in VCO-2; in the schematic on previous page, it is represented by a dashed line;
well, is there a reason why it has not been copied in your clone PCB for VCOs ? I guess it was there for a reason, does anybody know ?

Hi Jaba,

The thin copper track is an earth guard to help stop current leakage around the exponential converter (I think!) - I didn't include it on my PCB due to the limited space (every time I etched the board the traces were so thin the Ferric Chloride just ate the track away, so I just ignored them!)

The VCO's are fine without the guard - Very stable and still tracks very well.

Implementing Lin FM on this is beyond my scope I'm afraid... Anybody?

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On MKI schematic, all cv are summed and connected to the tempco resistor and to dual trannies TZ281. (i guess this is the famous expo converter)

Linear input consists in adding in parallel of this converting circuit another circuit based around only one NPN transistor.

Far beyond my skills Smile
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just etched two PCBs for this baby. Looking forward to doing Autobahn covers with them.

If I like this vco as much as I think I will, I'm going to do a press n peel layout for the 2600 VCO. It's super simple, and you know it's a cool sounding oscillator! afro
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Calibration : Put both coarse & fine controls to minimum and adjust the VCO Freq Trimmer to give 20Hz.

This is a good trick ; and a fine way to "auto-tune" your vcos when playing live through midi (transpose) : you put all pots ccw. But i guess it would be even more handy with center tap potentiometer for FINE TUNE (allowing both + and - detune if needed ;- )

Quote:
Put both PW controls to minimum and adjust PW Trimmer for 50% pulse (Square wave).

I've put -15v instead of 0V on PW pot...

Quote:
2K tempco should work fine, there's plenty of leeway in the scale adjustment to cover the difference.

Bridechamber's 2,50$ tempco is fine here ; decent tracking over five octaves.

I've cut a trace to allow separate 1V/OCT input (nc jack socket) and put "octave switches" to get -1 and +1 on both vco.

Thank you.
This is real *electronic* waveform.

Looking forward to doing Herbie's Chameleon solo covers with them.
Need a 4023.

Smile
monokinetic

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funkyfarm wrote:

I've cut a trace to allow separate 1V/OCT input (nc jack socket) and put "octave switches" to get -1 and +1 on both vco.

Hi,
If I understand correctly you modified the PCB to allow you to have individual CV control over the two oscillators.

Is that correct? If so, any chance you could tell us where you made the modification? Wink

David
funkyfarm

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's correct, two distinct discrete vcos.

Looking at this : http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/arp_odyssey_dual_vco_126.pdf

The red square pad is 1V/Oct cv input for both vco ; it is connected to VCO1 Audio/lfo switch (1V/O CV input for VCO1) AND to a 49.9k resistor and VCO2 scale trimmer (this point is 1V/O CV input for VCO2).

So just cut the trace under the Audio/lfo switch symbol.
monokinetic

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers funkyfarm, that saves me a bit of valuable time!

David
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it a good idea to use ferrite beads instead of jumpers at the top of the PCB? It looks like Andy used resistors on the board in his first post....

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.61 KB
 Viewed:  27857 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

numbertalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LetterBeacon wrote:
Is it a good idea to use ferrite beads instead of jumpers at the top of the PCB? It looks like Andy used resistors on the board in his first post....

I asked about this earlier in the thread. I used ferrite beads instead of the 3 jumpers.
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, I was sure I read through the thread before I asked that question!

Thanks!
hway23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did a manufactured pcb ever surface for this? I would love to have me a couple o' oddy vco. Cool
Broadwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hway23 wrote:
did a manufactured pcb ever surface for this? I would love to have me a couple o' oddy vco. Cool

No, I'm afraid not... It was just a little project I did to fill in some time. Still working on the other Odyssey bits.

Almost finished a Eurorack sized module containing the Oddy LFO, LFO retrigger, S&H Mixer, S&H, Lag and White/Pink Noise. Taken a bit of time, but it's getting there.

IMG_0404.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.26 KB
 Viewed:  222 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0404.JPG

Synth DIY Projects

Musical Doodlings
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 20 [488 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 18, 19, 20 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: