electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
1977 Yamaha CS80
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: 1977 Yamaha CS80 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

8 voice dual synthesiser, two mostly independent tone sections, VCO/LP/HP/Ringwood/VCA.
The ringmod (actually not a true balanced modulator, just am) was interesting in that it had its own modulation oscillator with an AR envelope for frequency control. The glide had two modes, normal and glissando or stepped glide (see variation 7). Another unique feature was the sine routed directly to the VCA (bypassing the Filter section) which in part is responsible for the legendary bottom end.
All routed through a noisy old style chorus. You will need an expanded G2 to get the full 8 voices.
Can't implement the ribbon controller, or the friction burns it caused Crying or Very sad .

CS80-2.pch2
 Description:
Yamaha CS80, no knob assignments.

Download
 Filename:  CS80-2.pch2
 Filesize:  4.56 KB
 Downloaded:  2849 Time(s)

Last edited by ian-s on Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
modular

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 72

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
modular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Fast reply to my patch Smile Very Happy Wink

Well also in this patch you can find a recognizeable sounds in electronic music production of early 70' like from me mentioned Vangelis (look at variation 3)

Thans g2ian I give one you give double!
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thanks for reminding me. The Blade runner soundtrack is awesome. I remember playing the CS series in the shops. I remember thinking they sounded a little thin but otherwise, very impressive.
I haven't done any knob assignments on this patch, there are so many Shocked All the aftertouch, velocity routing can be done with morphs if required and the global vibrato should be ok.
modular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
I haven't done any knob assignments on this patch, there are so many Shocked All the aftertouch, velocity routing can be done with morphs if required and the global vibrato should be ok.

I'll work on it and if you let me permission on this I'll repost shortly with knobs assignments and others changements that will come in mind Rolling Eyes Cool

regards Wink
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The CS 80 was great. I bought the CS 80 softie last year and that one is pretty much how I remember the CS 80.. but of course.. since you don´t have the physical GUI and the actual original keyboard it does not play like the original. the one thing about the CS 80 was the immense size and weight.. and the fact that it was very hard to keep in tune.. well.. you couldn´t.. So I guess this patch will need a "I want to go completely out of tune just when you need me the most" algorithm.. Shocked Very Happy

Too bad I cannot use this patch. I have the NM1.. not the NM2

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, well, well... Gian, this is excellent!

I'm in no way a CS80 expert. Never owned one, but I did check out an excellent one at the Nord Modular Event in The Hague in July of this year (see: http://electro-music.com/images/TheHague2004/IMG_1035.html for pics). Playing it gave an experience unlike any I've gotten from any other synth. It was huge - the experience, not just the synth. Very sensuous and organic. It was very responsive to velocity and aftertouch. I understand why these are so highly valued today as a classic synthesizer. For me, it was love at first touch. Shocked

This patch really gives me a similar sensation when I play the different variations. There just something very special about the quality of the CS80 sounds, and you have captured this. Variation #3 is amazing for that "legendary bottom end". I play a middle C and my whole house shakes. Laughing

Mr. Modular, if you or anyone else comes up with improvements, just post them here on this topic. That way all of the CS80 patches can be found together. Seems like knobs and aftertouch would make this really something. I think if Mr. Elektro80 could play this, he might put a G2 in his plays... Wink

BTW, the patch memory for this beast was truly amazing - four banks of manually set sliders. Twisted Evil Holy convoluted kluge, Batman... batman
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modular wrote:

I'll work on it and if you let me permission on this I'll repost shortly with knobs assignments and others changements that will come in mind Rolling Eyes Cool

Please feel free. I ran up against the 50% dsp boundary so even adding panners drops the voice count down to 4 Crying or Very sad but this is no big deal for the people with expanders. The detuning is a little simplistic, just adding a little of the voice signal to the pitch input. Also, the elliptical filter I posted some time ago had a nice CS sort of variation but I think the Multimode is close enough.

And thanks for the kind words Mosc. It has been a very long time since I have heard this synthesizer.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a minor update (CS80-2) What electro and mosc said made me reconsider the detuning. The detuning now is done by a pair of note scalers (the status module has gone). If you want that badly in need of a service sound, increase the pitch mod level for each master oscillator.
Also put some after touch morphs on a couple of variations. My after touch response seems a little uneven over the keyboard. I vaguely recall the original having polyphonic aftertouch anyway.
modular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well g2ian I've put in G2 Performance experimental a new patch called Vangelis CS80 where I layered together my Vangelis suite.pch2 with your freshly updated CS80-2.pch2. It seems sunds good together Very Happy

But Performances can have eight variation like patches?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modular wrote:

Yes, it's taken me a while to get the hang of performances. Seems like you can have 7 variations of the performances. These are selected when the Global parameter pages are enabled. In each of the performance variations, each patch in the four slots can be in any of it's particular variations.

I have a minor beef that it takes two hands to turn on and off the Global button. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
modular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
modular wrote:

Yes, it's taken me a while to get the hang of performances. Seems like you can have 7 variations of the performances. These are selected when the Global parameter pages are enabled. In each of the performance variations, each patch in the four slots can be in any of it's particular variations.

I have a minor beef that it takes two hands to turn on and off the Global button. Crying or Very sad

All that I've manage to do with your tip is assign Knob buttons and value to to slots A B C D E x 3 but no success to have 8 variation where patches are combined in several mode (example variation 2 of patch in Slot A with variation 6 of patch in Slot B)

It seems that when I change variation with Global button active all the Slot change its variation together with the same number ( variation 1 to all patches in slots by pressing 1 variation button, variation 2 for all patches in slots pressin 2 var button and so on)

Just a bit confused on this...

All that i'm able to do is changing variation separately for every slot at one time

another chance...?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yikes, Modular, I guess I'm just working on too many things at the same time. You are right.

One thing we were trying over here a few days ago was setting up a control patch in one slot and using it to change variations in the other three slots via CC70 (I think).
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: