electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Help--Chipmunks got me.
Page 2 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
"dimensional note on pebbled beach with dramatic cloudy sky"

thanks Exclamation I could't have described it better Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

play wrote:
Just curious. What hardware are you running in this machine that doubles time?

If you mean "sound card" it's a Tascam FW-1884 fire wire console. The puter is Athlon XP Barton core running on a gigabyte MB--home brew. Umm... is that what you were asking?

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
..running on a gigabyte MB

you lost me here, did you mean 1GHz Question

Quote:
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
bachus wrote:
..running on a gigabyte MB

you lost me here, did you mean 1GHz Question

Sorry about the lower case "g", Gigabyte is a brand of MB.

Edit:

And it happened again this AM after trying to run the windows media player when the FW-1884 was not yet powered up. Again shutting every thing down and repowering and rebooting it's AOK. But I'll try that again later to see if I can establish causal link here.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MB = motherboard?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
MB = motherboard?

during my years "on the other side of the pond" I noticed the love for acronyms Americans have.
For them saying "orange juice" is simply a waste of time, "OJ" is the way to go Exclamation "IMHO" there's nothing you can do about it Cool
I don't know about Canadians but one of them, I am sure, will tell us about it Very Happy

Quote:
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's very strange, bachus. Maybe try http://www.tascamforums.com. Although it's not necessarily the soundcard. Any particular stimulus that makes it do this weird thing?

'MB' is motherboard.

It's true about the acronyms. Someone should write a sci-fi story written in acronym-speak.
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

play wrote:
...Any particular stimulus that makes it do this weird thing?

As it turns out no, not as far as I can tell.

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

check the prefs of the thing and your system and make sure the sample rates match
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. but that would not affect the computer and the main clock would it?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm.. but that would not affect the computer and the main clock would it?

True, but all bets are off now. Starting over, clean slate, I'll check anything and start a log noting conditions that seem relevant, or that I might otherwise misapprehend as possible casual conditions. But let me stress it is intermittent and not presently rearing its ugly little head.

bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another clue!

This am about half an hour apart I imported two little *.mid pieces into Sonar, recorded audio from them and exported them in mp3 format.

Later when I when I auditioned them the first was double time the second was a'tempo. This afternoon restarting the system the first was at tempo and the second was in half time. Then while I was playing the first I booted another computer on the network and while it was booting the piece jumped into double time. All sample rates seem correct.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

...but computers act like that in cartoons.. not in real life.. Shocked
..this is sooooo wierd

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electro80 did you recieve those files? And if so could you let me know how they sound relative to one another--fast/slow, and Howard?

thanks,

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both are most excellent sounding! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Both are most excellent sounding! Very Happy

Thanks, I hope that means you like them. Very Happy
But on the downside that is even more confusing. I just now played one and then the other of those files and NOW the first, the up tempo one, was correct the other was playing at half speed, sounds like a dirge rather than like being on gentle waters, yes the very same, the very very same files I sent you and howard.

Does yours sound dirge or waters??

I keep hoping it will just go away.

thanks

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On my FW audio interface, there is a setting to pick the clock source. I picked internal, as I want the interface to be the source for everything. Set your buffer lengths in your interface to be as short as you can, then back them up one notch for safety.

In Sonar, make sure everything matches the settings in your interface, and turn off the read and write buffers. Check under options/audio that the record and playback timing are set to appropriate ports on your Tascam interface, and change them to see if that helps. Of course make sure the bit depth and sample rates match. Try changing your driver mode. WDM is probably the safest. Change your synchronization settings and see if that helps. Rerun the device profiler (duh).

Personally, I run everything at 44.1 KHz. I see no value in running things at higer bit rates only to down sample later in the chain. I've talked to a few professional recording engineers who do this because downsampling later can generate undesirable artifacts. But this bit is OT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check your email! Me and the lady are sitting here singing along to the music. this is fantastic!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Check your email! Me and the lady are sitting here singing along to the music. this is fantastic!

Thank you, and thank you. It feels truly good to hear that some one is getting pleasure from something I created. Embarassed Very Happy (I couldn't find the "embarrassed by praise" emoticon)

bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
On my FW audio interface, there is a setting to pick the clock source. I picked internal,.

I can't do that, had to use a SPDIF mixer for the source--no real problem I wouldn't think...but....

mosc wrote:
In Sonar, make sure everything matches the settings in your interface, and turn off the read and write buffers. Check under options/audio that the record and playback timing are set to appropriate ports on your Tascam interface, and change them to see if that helps.

the "record and playback timing" were not set to the SPIDIF channels so I'm trying that.

I have to set my buffers in Sonar to 3 but I can't remember why--there was a reason--may have been required by the Tascam FW-1884---zat a big problem?

mosc wrote:
Of course make sure the bit depth and sample rates match. Try changing your driver mode. WDM is probably the safest. ...Rerun the device profiler (duh).

Yup, yup, and yup.

mosc wrote:
Change your synchronization settings and see if that helps.

Will do that after seeing how specifying the right clock works out.

mosc wrote:
Personally, I run everything at 44.1 KHz. I see no value in running things at higer bit rates only to down sample later in the chain. I've talked to a few professional recording engineers who do this because downsampling later can generate undesirable artifacts. But this bit is OT.

I do that but because it was simplest, nice to know it's justified.

Many, many thanks Howard, I haven't enough hair left to pull out in times like these. Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some people will argue about the 44.1 KHz rate, but then they say, "hey, listen to my music" and provide a 192 Kbs mp3 file. Go figure... Anyway, I hope this works out and you get your problem solved.

As for timing off of the SPDIF mixer, is that your TASCAM or some other device?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
As for timing off of the SPDIF mixer, is that your TASCAM or some other device?

The Tascam has a single SPDIF I/O. I have several synths that have crumby analog audio so I have to use the SPDIF on them, so I bought a Roland M-1000 for those synths because these synths also do not have WordClock in or out and the Roalnd can deal with it and D'OH I just realized it has WC IO so I can sync it from the Tascam. D'OH big time. HoKay next time I go into a town that has a Radio SHack I'll get a coax cable and do this right.

Thanks again Howard.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.. you are having problems with the master clock? Is that it?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
.. you are having problems with the master clock? Is that it?

At this point I don't really know. Was completely clueless until Howard gave me some.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you have both a the Tascam hooked up via FW and the Roland M-1000. Somehow you have to use one as a master clock. How do you have them hooked up?
Page 2 of 4 [87 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: