electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Need help restoring a performance patch in NORD LEAD2X !
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
fischek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok good...I am getting close to understanding the most basic Clavia concepts after all Very Happy

Anyway, I was comparing the A9 to the 2 single patches I put next to each other in a single mode to check if it sounds the same. The only thing I've noticed is a slight difference in velocity/i.e. loudness maybe...nothing else.

I think it should be similar enough to get you through the gig...
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek,

NordGen isn't a very well designed tool, although at the moment it is the best there is to be found. As you see in your attachments the first file is 278 bytes and the second is 417 bytes. Just to notify: you added your files to a kind of Bank, which NordGen does automatically. Not much to worry about when it stays at 417 bytes, but I once fell into a pitt finding out a single file contained over 4 Mb! Such files come to life when one is designing sound after sound, adding sounds into NordGen and save and added later on again to the tool, and so on...

I use Nordgen only as a 'Single Program Based' tool. Change a Program at the Synth Panel, [Shift+Dump One] to NordGen, go to file > Explode. NordGen send this explosion to the Folder in which it is itself. Then I delete 0.ngf and rename 1.ngf into the name I want it to have. All files stay 139 bytes Smile NB to work easier I always copy/paste NordGen into the Folder I'm working that particular moment.

I asked Clavia several times to release a library to the NordLead, hopefully with a graphic interface like NordGen, but they always answered I was the only one in the world who wants such a thing. I'm sure when it was much easier to create files (not the difficult way using a sequencer and Midi files) the exchange between users would be much higher...

And POGphile problem was much easier to solve...

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Ok good...I am getting close to understanding the most basic Clavia concepts after all Very Happy ...
Yep! You're entering the level of the design 'quick-sand erea' already Smile As one of the Clavia designers once said to us: "You guys are always pushing things much further then we can design..."

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info about Nord Gen. Yes this turned out to be a major hassle Smile It shouldn't really be that complicated...export to a file -> import from a file. Single patch or performance...whatever.

I also have that other tool/software which is a kind of a librarian for Nord Lead. I couldn't get it to work properly the last time, but I might try again. It would be good to hear from POGphile in the meantime though and see if we got anywhere closer to solving his problem Smile
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We'll have to wait until he wakes up, although he should have sleepless nights Smile
We are writing faster then the world turns...

Wout
POGphile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
Thanks for the info about Nord Gen. Yes this turned out to be a major hassle Smile It shouldn't really be that complicated...export to a file -> import from a file. Single patch or performance...whatever.

I also have that other tool/software which is a kind of a librarian for Nord Lead. I couldn't get it to work properly the last time, but I might try again. It would be good to hear from POGphile in the meantime though and see if we got anywhere closer to solving his problem Smile

I appreciate your help man.

I guess I sort of confused how to send two programs in to one performance slot on nord. I am afraid that I will end up wiping out the whole bank.

Is there you could dump a single performance A9 , assuming that you still have it.
POGphile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
POGphile,

The fasted way to recover your A9 Performance is to take your NL2X, together with a Midi cable, to your dealer, plug your cable in the Midi Out of the dealers synth and to the Midi In of your synth, select on both Performance A9, press on the dealers synth [Shift+Dump One] and save the file in your synth...

Wout

No way.... you can dump from nord to nord directly ?!

I bought my nord on line, but maybe some local music shop would let me do it. Thanks.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

POGphile wrote:
Is there you could dump a single performance A9 , assuming that you still have it.
Of course you can Smile Here is a Midi file. Connect the Midi Out & In cables. Open or Import it into any Midi sequencer, set your synth in Performance mode to 1.A9 and press 'start' or something like 'run' or what else makes the sequencer do its job. If all is right save the performance at location 1.A9 (Take a tube of one-second glue and fix the scroll and the save buttons for ever, so you won't loose it again Wink

I also post a mp3 of the sound...
Looks like a pond crowded with frogs... During mating season Very Happy

BTW I created this Performance using fishecks Patches on a NordLead2.

Wout

NL2X_1_A9.mid
 Description:
The Midi file

Download
 Filename:  NL2X_1_A9.mid
 Filesize:  772 Bytes
 Downloaded:  358 Time(s)

NL2X_1_A9.mp3
 Description:
Some audio

Download
 Filename:  NL2X_1_A9.mp3
 Filesize:  116.86 KB
 Downloaded:  974 Time(s)

POGphile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
POGphile wrote:
Of course you can Smile Here is a Midi file. Connect the Midi Out & In cables. Open or Import it into any Midi sequencer, set your synth in Performance mode to 1.A9 and press 'start' or something like 'run' or what else makes the sequencer do its job. If all is right save the performance at location 1.A9 (Take a tube of one-second glue and fix the scroll and the save buttons for ever, so you won't loose it again Wink

I also post a mp3 of the sound...
Looks like a pond crowded with frogs... During mating season Very Happy

BTW I created this Performance using fishecks Patches on a NordLead2.

Wout

Hey thanks a lot Wout...

So wait, you created that performance from scratch?
Just from listening to the mp3 on myspace?

I'm impressed...

One more thing? can I use midi-ox to send that patch?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

POGphile wrote:
So wait, you created that performance from scratch?
Just from listening to the mp3 on myspace?

I'm impressed...
Nah! I used the two files fischek extracted from 1.A9 in his NL2X Smile Just imported these into my own red terrarium Wink

So now you have 4 options:
1 use both files fischek send in, save them on two Program locations, open these is Performance mode (Press Slot buttons and scroll to these Program locations) and save in Performance mode to 1.A9;
2 open Performance mode and send the Midi file to 1.A9 and save;
3 go to the dealer and connect your synth to one over there or
4 go to any dealer and buy a new synth... Wink
Quote:
One more thing? can I use midi-ox to send that patch?
Sure, although I never used the tool. Make the connection, probably set to the right Midi channel, open the file in Midi-ox, set the synth to Performance 1.A9 and send & save.

Success!

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
... I also have that other tool/software which is a kind of a librarian for Nord Lead. I couldn't get it to work properly the last time, but I might try again. ...
What tool are you referring to?

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
What tool are you referring to?

Wout

VST Lead Editor, but it turns out it's a worthless piece of sh*t I actually had to pay for...It does nothing. I bought it to store and organize patches according to names as well as I got tired of the 2-digit display.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
VST Lead Editor, but it turns out it's a worthless piece of sh*t I actually had to pay for...It does nothing. I bought it to store and organize patches according to names as well as I got tired of the 2-digit display.
Well, first of all never buy on the internet from people who write things like (bold text by Wout):
www.rekonaudio.com wrote:
Control your Nord from within your DAW to build lasting and meaningful patches that will bring new life to your Nord, and more importantly, your music.
How could you go on living without it Wink $ 49.95? Not really a cheap one...

Secondly I think you forgot to read (bold text by Wout):
www.rekonaudio.com wrote:
This editor works on the Clavia Nord Lead/Nord Rack model(s) only! The VST Lead II Editor will be coming soon to support the Clavia Nord Lead II model(s).
This means only the NordLead1, so no NordLead2X!

Marketing wise it's okay, from rekonaudio's point of view, that is. To release a tool designed to a synth which isn't in production anymore since 9 years!!! and which synth has a very bad saving memory (only 40 locations when there is no extension installed to use PCMCIA-cards), most users would be begging for a solution and here it is...

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree, but I bought the version compatible with NL2X...I am fast on buying things, but I do like to ask if I can use it first Smile

Turns out it's not a compatibility issue, but it doesn't like Ableton Live and you have to use some strange procedure when saving patches in order to get a name to eppear....I mean what's the use then. I paid 50 dollars to have the patch names appear when I load the stupid patch and it can't even do that...wtf.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see the released the Lead2 version too...

You have this one? Then it should work, shouldn't it?

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It should but it doesn't and their support is very very bad, so I am left with a product which doesn't do what I bought it for
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see it doesn't handle Performances also...

Anyway, you are the rightfull owner of the tool, so you are free to sell it to somebody who might use it. At least you'll get some of your money back...

Wout

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

POGphile...

We are waiting for an Eureka!

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

true, I only wanted to be able to organize the patches, because this way I get lost. I forget what's mine, what are the original factory patches, where the patches are...
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
true, I only wanted to be able to organize the patches, because this way I get lost. I forget what's mine, what are the original factory patches, where the patches are...
That's why we should build that archive here, so at least there is somewhere a place to find things back. I build one before to the Nord Modular Classic (over 25.000 Patches) and to the Nordlead and Nordlead2. To the NordLead2X, which I don't want to buy, Smile, there is to much differences between the two other models. Just need some volunteers to help me collect the files.

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you don't like the NL2X? Smile
POGphile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
POGphile...

We are waiting for an Eureka!

Wout

Man, too much Gray Goose tonight, will do it tomorrow....

Razz Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fischek wrote:
you don't like the NL2X? Smile
Well, a fourth NordLead? Smile Rather go for a Wave!

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

POGphile wrote:
... will do it tomorrow....
Sure, but don't forget to report all findings here Smile

Meanwhile fischek and me will keep us busy Wink

Wout
fischek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that sounds a bit like a recursion but I don't mind Very Happy as long as pogo is setup for the gig
Page 2 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: