electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
RMC Fanout box
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Just seen your post.

Latency is not really an issue for me, its probably 7-8ms total which I must admit I don't really notice.

When I add the Pacarana in this is going to go up a bit, probably double in fact. We will have to see how that goes.
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh, never mind....

Last edited by DES on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugfight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, did you even read the thread??
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed
ha, ha, well, I guess the old Evelyn Woods speed reading failed me on this!

I just caught glimpses of the RMC mentioned and flew across the rest of it...trying to catch up after a VERY long absence.....

Btw - did I ever show you the link to this neat home-made break-out box?
Shocked

bugfight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe no problemo, it happens...
miketheman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well Its all getting out of hand now!

Here is the new plan:

6 hex outputs, piezo output and pickup output from fanout box going into StudioKonnekt 48, and 8 outputs from the Konnekt going back into the fanout box.

StudioKonnect 48 connected via adat I/O to a RME Fireface.

StudioKonnekt 48 connected by firewire to SymbolicSound Pacarana.

RME Fireface connected to MacPro.

Guitar connected to fanout box. 13 pin processed Output of fanout box going to VG99. 13 pin direct output of fanout box going to Axon ax100mkii.

VG99 connected via spdif to the Fireface.

Axon ax100 mkii connected to Midi Express 128.

Midi express 128 connected via usb to MacPro and also midi connected to Pacarana.

Think what you could do with that!

Andy

Endless possibilities!

I am considering if I should go with the FanOut Box myself too...

However, I am wondering if you know how the DIP switches are configured in the circuit on the PCB. If they´re just some kind of "audio gate" to let any/all audio signals thru into some kind internal mixer/summer.

Or if they´re some kind of switches connected to a microprocessor, where it then controls which strings that will be passed on into (a analog?) mixer/summer

/Mike
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mike,

I do not know how the dip switches work internally, my guess is that it isn't a microprocessor though.

I am sure if you emil them they will tell you, RMC are pretty helpful.

Cheers

Andy
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy!

Yeah, you are probably right about that. Gonna write them. Wonder why they haven´t produced any FanOutBox for years though? Got that confirmed from a german distributor some weeks ago.

Even though it probably isn´t the case, it makes one hopefully wonder if they´re about to make a successor with some additional features... (like string mixer/routing control via MIDI).

I´ve got a lot of DIY ideas, but I think that I lack too much skills in electronics/programming...

/Mike

BillBax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

I think we've all contacted RMC pickups about availability of their Fanout Box. They keep saying one will be available soon, but nothing ever seems to happen.

I have a few Breakout Box designs for V-Guitar, that you might want to check out...shameless plug!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

GK STUDIO EXTREME.The dedicated Breakout Box, preamp and pickup. Separate string dynamic-range 105dB

Here's a couple of sites that might be of interest.

http://www.separate-strings.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaxBreakoutBox

regards,

Bill

Last edited by BillBax on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting stuff.

Ever thought of doing a usb one?

Andy
BillBax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the welcome! I have indeed investigated the usb route, and found it would be a little on the expensive side. It would be great to do away with all those cable though, no matter how pretty they look. If it was to be a usb only device, than that would cut off all those people who use multi-trackers, and mixers to record etc. So it would have to the best of both worlds...an active usb powered breakout box with optional standard breakout cables. I think it could get messy and unwieldy, not to mention the component costs and final product price....£350.00GB+ easily.

If that isn't bad enought it gets worse. I don't think there is a reasonable demand for a state-of the-art breakout box that does it all. Look at RMC Pickups, if their Fanout Box was in demand, then they'd be available to buy. I suppose it seems most V-Guitar players just aren't into recording and playing separate strings, except the select few.

I don't use a breakout box to record separate strings. I redesigned the GK3 with hi-end audio components. Chose component values that were on the 'cusp' so to speak, and ended up with a signal-to-noise-ratio well in excess of -105dB (on individual strings) That's a full 10dB quieter than the Roland GK3, and it's also a breakout box.

regards,

Bill

My latest Breakout Box on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQsQ-izqji0&feature=channel

Last edited by BillBax on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillBax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know, my V-Guitar Breakout Box Standard now comes in 5 colour finishes.

Available in a Roland GR-55 turquoise Blue, Burgundy, Battle Green, Black, and the popular Metallic Silver. All colours are now in a hi-gloss laminate finish.

YOUTUBE MOVIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFPzgPX8Jaw

EXTRA MONO GUITAR OUTPUT (a sort of MK8 version)

The latest Breakout Box sports an extra jack socket output, for those who want to record their mono guitar at the same time or separately. Also using the mono guitar output, you will be able to impedance-match a mic/line-input, unlike a passive guitar output.

SHIPPING CHARGES TAKE A TUMBLE
I am happy to say that I have recently switched my trackable shipping service to a new and less expensive provider. A typical orders shipping cost will now be in the region of £15.00GB - £25.00GB, unlike my previous shipping supplier’s charges that were around £50.00+GB. So now a typical active Breakout Box order to the USA will cost no more than £195.00GB, give or take a few pence (hi-end custom cables an optional extra).

Regards,

Bill Baxendale

RECORDING SEPARATE STRINGS

YOUTUBE

Last edited by BillBax on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats on what looks like a great new product, Bill! This may actually be of more use to me than Stringport.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Does the breakout box have any amplification in it to bring it up to line level output?

Thanks

Andy
BillBax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andy,

The output level of a GK3 for instance, is about -10dBm with an average playing strength, on individual strings. Heavy guitar solos will peak at about 0dBm. A soundcards line input is just about fine, with around 10dB of gain. It could be possible to pre-amp the signals within the Breakout Box, but this would add something like £20.00GB to the asking price of £160.00GB. AND pre-amping an individual signal would be very bad audio indeed. ie, a pre-amp into another pre-amp, then into another soundcard pre-amp. You'd be losing precious zeros on your total-harmonic-distortion figures, not to mention adding quite a few dBs of noise. It's a fuzz box!

The best solution, if you have to 'up' the signal is to change 6 resistors on the GK3 itself. A simple matter of swapping six 10k resistors to 33k. This will give you about 7dB of gain, and you won't effect your V-Synth sensitivity settings too much.

UP YOUR GK3! (A free modification to my Breakout Box customers...should they need it)

UP CLOSE WITH ALL 6 RESISTORS CHANGED

TOP E AND STRING B OP-AMP RESISTORS

THE NEW GLOSSY SILVER BREAKOUT BOX AND CABLES

BLACK BREAKOUT BOX AND CABLES
Oh no, it's the Black Dalek...I'm done for!

Hope this answers your question.

regards,

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaxBreakoutBox[/url]

Last edited by BillBax on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info.

I use mostly piezo pickups and the main problem I have with my RMC fanout box is extremely low signals when connected to line inputs at +4 dBu, and very low at -10dBv.

Maybe it is an issue with the RMC box.

Cheers

Andy
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill,

There's some confusion on another forum as to whether your Breakout Box is a kit (that the customer must assemble) or whether it can be ordered built.

Could you clarify?

Some old stuff on VIRB
BillBax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi GovernorSilver Cool

Thank you very much for pointing the other forum out. I did see the misunderstanding, but it looks like someone kindly corrected the person.

All the best,

Bill

Last edited by BillBax on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've started using the VT99 some again after having focussed on other things for a while. After playing around with MIDI, I am now itching to try out some separate string processing in ChucK. So a fanout box is needed. I've looked around and am unsure about how you actually acquire any of these.

So bumping this thread after a couple of years' sleep. Smile Have any more products like these popped up since? Anyone able to offer a review besides BobTheDog on the RMC? Any tips on how you order e.g. a McMillen unit in the EU? I've written an email to Bill Bax asking about his product (maybe he'll notice this bump too).

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Stefan,

Steer clear of the McMillen stringport it is a pile of crap that doesn't work, support is hopeless from them as well, total waste of money.

I had to email RMC to get their fanout box originally so maybe you could try that?

Cheers

Andy
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the advice Andy! Smile I'll send an email to RMC too.
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I emailed RMC and Bill Bax and got quick replies from both, which is nice.

I'm lost regarding one thing - I get the impression that the GK mic needs to be powered in some non-obvious way for both of these units (and others) - is that correct? In the RMC manual there's talk of plugging in something somewhere and remembering to remove the cable after using to prevent battery drain. That's when using an RMC mic if I read correctly, will it be the same for GK mics?

I really want a box that is powered off mains, that I can just plug into and start playing. If you have to remove cables to prevent battery drainage, then I will need a constant supply of batteries (I will not, however much I beat myself up about it, remember to remove cables to prevent battery drainage, I know this from experience with stompboxes and iPads).

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I Just looked for the manual and couldn't find it, but from memory:

The RMC fanout will take power from any unit connected, if you only have the guitar connected it will be powered from the guitars internal battery if it has one. If you have something like a GR33 or VG99 etc connected though it will power itself from them.

Thats what I think, but I could be wrong!
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ok, yeah I get the impression that I need to have the VG99 connected too. Annoying but workable I guess.
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: