electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Gibson Robot Panic?
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Gibson Robot Panic? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-ROBOT-Les-Paul-Studio-Ltd.-Electric-Guitar?sku=483023

Seems like the Gibson Robot Les Paul is now being sold approx. 2,5 k below RRP. Seems like a clearance sale too me.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well some may say it was a little overpriced to begin with!

In the UK a standard Studio is around £750 while the Robot is £1500.

For £750 I would rather tune it my self.
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Well some may say it was a little overpriced to begin with!

In the UK a standard Studio is around £750 while the Robot is £1500.

For £750 I would rather tune it my self.

I concur, I'm all in favour of utilising modern technology to enhance our experience, both as practitioners and listeners, but a self-tuning guitar is up there with Douglas Adams' electric monk, a contraption that will believe things for you, so that you can get on with your rampant consumerism unhampered by religion and other anti-capitalist dogma.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote a guitar tuner in ChucK cause I couldn't afford a good one and I didn't want to mess with a cheap one. The code is below. It is set up for plugging your guitar into the line-in jack, but by reducing the adc.gain line to one or two, it will work with microphone inpupt. You have to tell it which string you are tuning though by pressing 1 thru 6. Works like a charm and costs nothing.

Guitar_Tuner2.ck
 Description:
ChucK guitar tuner

Download
 Filename:  Guitar_Tuner2.ck
 Filesize:  2.52 KB
 Downloaded:  460 Time(s)

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have downloaded Chuck now and started to have a look at some examples, your tuning code I will definitely have a look at.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coolness! Trying out the examples is the best way to get started with ChucK. I'll be happy to answer any questions about ChucK + guitar = fun, plus share lots of code as well.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just a click away from ordering a Robot SG Special Ltd from them. But - they will not ship Gibsons internationally
So now you know... useless...

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These Guys will http://www.dv247.com/invt/53780/ the price is very steep though!

Or half the price and tune it yourself http://www.dv247.com/invt/36888/

I think the SG is much nicer than the LP, cheaper too.

Andy
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
These Guys will http://www.dv247.com/invt/53780/ the price is very steep though!

Or half the price and tune it yourself http://www.dv247.com/invt/36888/

I think the SG is much nicer than the LP, cheaper too.

Andy

Stein - or electro80 if you will - got an SG at a very good price a few months back, and it's SMOKIN'! Which happens to be the title of a Boston song that features both an LP and an SG...
Seriously though, that SG is so nice, it plays really well, and it sits so comfortably in a mix, both onstage and in the studio!

DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are more SG fans around I see Smile

That particular offer was just too good to miss. I don't really need it, since I've just got another SG (albeit a strange one)... Not being so hardcore, I really like the idea of a tuning robot, especially at a price where half the SG and the robot is for 'free' Razz (thinking Norwegian prices)

Oh well, at least the opportunity to bankrupt myself conveniently evaporated... I think that is going to be my next guitar though!

DJ
--
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SG? Oh yes.. Originally I wanted something like my long gone Guild S-60D or similar Guild electric guitars. The SG is pretty much that. I´m not at all an able guitarist, but I kinda know where everything is and I know what I want to play, so I´m not doing this completely blind. Shocked It is just a matter of rehearsing parts for hours or days and then record the part.. and then go on to the next part. And if something sounds odd later on I just rehearse more and then keep on recording until it sounds good. That being said, I think I soon should deposit the SG with Oskar again and pick up on the silicon stringed fretless bass.
My workflow might seem a bit odd. I´ve recorded a zillion of parts for a lot of old pieces ( and some reasonably new ones ). I tend to play along to very simplistic click tracks. I have no problem with ditching stuff later on and recording the parts again.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of robots, just got the news about the Dark Fire Surprised
OK, suddenly I want a Les Paul too Laughing

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

" FireWire connector to link to your PC or laptop and a hex connector that carries the outputs of each string and a composite piezo output. An optional adaptor provides easy connection from this hex output to popular MIDI guitar interfaces such as those made by Roland and Axon, or allows you to divide out the six individual signals to their own balanced one-quarter inch connectors. "

I must admit this sounds pretty neat, and the finish is very nice, I cannot see this being cheap though.

May be the first Gibson I would want to buy though!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The teaser video is pretty shit though :

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Features/the%2Dgibson%2Ddark%2Dfire/

Also this is pretty funny:

"Master Control Knob.

The key to controlling the powerful functions of the Dark Fire is the Master Control Knob (MCK), which has been completely redesigned with much improved ergonomics and a sophisticated full color matrix display featuring LEDs and high-tech light pipe technology, all to deliver a more powerful and easier to see visual display under any light condition."
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: