electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Any interest in a regional electro-music festival in 2009?
Page 1 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next

The best month for a regional EM festival is:
March
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
April
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
May
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
June
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
July
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
August
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
September
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
October
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
November
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
December
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
January (2010)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
February (2010)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Any interest in a regional electro-music festival in 2009?
Subject description: (in Kansas City, Missouri)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been toying with the idea to organize a regional EM festival here in Kansas City. The festival would be open to anyone from anywhere, however would be presented as a regional festival so as not to interfere with the "main" (international) EM festival.

It happens that I have access to our neighborhood clubhouse, which is large enough to hold a scaled-down version of the EM festival:

The downstairs has two rooms that can be used for demo/exhibition space and a possible jam room (I'm not sure of the sound isolation, though -- I'll have to check this).

The upstairs would make a comfortable performance space at one end of the building. At the other end is a bar area with a commercial ice-maker, fridge, sink... etc -- we could bring in some food and beverages.

My overhead would be low -- I already have a good sound-system (we used it in the theatre at the 2008 EM festival), the rental on the clubhouse is cheap enough that I could pay for it, there is high-speed internet connectivity so we could stream the performances via radio.electro-music.com.

The clubhouse is in an excellent location that overlooks the Missouri river with plenty of parking. It is only five minutes from Parkville restaurants and shopping and only ten minutes from accomodations ranging from budget, luxury, and bed-and-breakfasts.

Tommorrow I will be talking with the person who schedules the clubhouse and will see what dates are available -- it books up pretty quick so I need to get moving on this.

You can help me by filling in the poll above and leaving comments.

The main electro-music festival occurs in the summer -- I don't have a date for it yet -- so I'll just have to "throw a dart" at the calendar, get started, and see what we can do.

I think a September or October date might be good. The weather is great in Kansas City during those months.

Note that the clubhouse is an adjoining pool area. During June, July, and August the pool is in use from 12noon until 8pm. It wouldn't likely interfere with any EM activity and could generate some walk-in traffic. We would have the option to schedule an evening pool party if people wanted to.

As far as fees, I think the only fee would be for food.

mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,
Being that City Skies happens in May spring in Atlanta .
(not too bad weather wise)
And as you have said EM-09 in August where ?possibly Lehigh Valley PA
someplace.(Not too bad w w either )
I opt for an early October Regional EM in Missouri. It must be nice by the river in the fall.
I would try to make it if the fuel prices are low then.
m

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think september or october is a good choice. the summer humidity will be dissipating making it much easier on instruments and musicians. if it was as late as october, people would get to enjoy the wonderful fall colors in the ozarks. Laughing

but, on the otherhand i also think march or april would also make a good time of year as well. Sad

spudzzzz57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:  any interest...Kansas City, MO???
Subject description: Sweet deal...

iThe idea of a regional @ Kansas City in October is a wonderful idea! Laughing

I've been working on some new material & I'd be more than willing to attend & participate.

I'm going to have major surgery in April or May & will be rehabilitating in Southern California...I know...what a drag, huh?

Wishing everyone a great 2009 Cool

http://www.reverbnation.com/whatknotmuzak

http://www.myspace.com/spudzzzz
kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: October Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As it turns out, I like October, too and I went ahead and cast my vote for October.

I just emailed a proposal to the Neighborhood Association and I'm shooting for the first weekend in October. The board meeting is Thursday.

I don't see any problem to reserve the clubhouse -- however, they usually reserve the clubhouse for wedding receptions, parties, and such. The proposal includes links to the EM2008 web site and the video.

As far as I know, this may be the first attempt to do a regional electro-music festival.

Anyway, I'll use this thread to keep you posted on my progress here.

Wish me luck -- I have no idea what I'm getting myself in to. Smile

Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: October Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bravo Kevin! Count me in if you can pull this off....I have friends and family in KC and I think they'd enjoy hanging wiith it!

Regards,

~ Kurt
www.myspace.com/kurtmichaels1

kkissinger wrote:
As it turns out, I like October, too and I went ahead and cast my vote for October.

I just emailed a proposal to the Neighborhood Association and I'm shooting for the first weekend in October. The board meeting is Thursday.

I don't see any problem to reserve the clubhouse -- however, they usually reserve the clubhouse for wedding receptions, parties, and such. The proposal includes links to the EM2008 web site and the video.

As far as I know, this may be the first attempt to do a regional electro-music festival.

Anyway, I'll use this thread to keep you posted on my progress here.

Wish me luck -- I have no idea what I'm getting myself in to. :)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ambient pool party sounds fun! Wink
kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Dates confirmed
Subject description: Mark it on your calendar (updated)

The dates for the Kansas City Regional electro-music festival are:

07/24/2009 through 07/26/2009 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)

The location is:

Walnut Creek Clubhouse
5502 Clubhouse Cove
Parkville, Mo. 64152

More information to follow -- stay tuned!

Last edited by kkissinger on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good work Kevin !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

woo-hoo! Laughing thanks kevin. this is going to be a great weekend!
kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: The clubhouse Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back in May 2006, I used the clubhouse for a "open dress rehearsal" prior to my trip to the 2006 electro-music festival. I discovered that music sounds really good in the space and it is a comfortable area for performers and listeners.

Today when I reserved the clubhouse I snapped a few pictures of it.

P1090168_web.JPG
 Description:
This will be the main performance area. I didn't move the couches/furniture for this pic -- it is a really nice area. Note the high ceiling and relatively large volume of the clubhouse. This makes for excellent listening throughout.
 Filesize:  173.42 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1090168_web.JPG

P1090170_web.JPG
 Description:
This is from the food/bar area looking across the building to the main performance area. This gives an idea of total size of the main floor space.
 Filesize:  172.28 KB
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)

P1090170_web.JPG

P1090171_web.JPG
 Description:
The food/bar area provides space for snacks and schmoozing with other participants. It is on the main floor opposite the main performance space. Yep, you can enjoy a snack while listening to the music.
 Filesize:  153.47 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

P1090171_web.JPG

P1090180_web.JPG
 Description:
This space is will likely be used for exhibition space. There is another larger room that can be used for jams or as a smaller performance space -- I couldn't get into it today so no picture of that.
 Filesize:  113.64 KB
 Viewed:  428 Time(s)

P1090180_web.JPG

P1090183_web.JPG
 Description:
The clubhouse from the front.
 Filesize:  233.75 KB
 Viewed:  390 Time(s)

P1090183_web.JPG

Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is looking like a sweet set up......very intimate! I would think it would be a very enjoyable listening experience for anyone that chooses to hang with it.

~ Kurt
www.myspace.com/kurtmichaels1

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet space! very nice. These rooms look great! I'm going to bring the vibraphone for a little electro-acoustic fun! Twisted Evil
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Congrats.

Wow, congratulations, you guys Exclamation It's a shame that I'll be wrapped in teaching that time of season. I love visiting Missouri, and this would provide a great excuse. Have fun.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can count me in!
mark_olson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, this is awesome!

Scott just gave me a heads-up on this. I have a bad habit of only looking at the DIY Hardware and Software part of the forum.

I'll be there!

Mark
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Excellent! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the support! This will be a great festival.

Currently, I'm working out some details with the Neighborhood Association -- they are interested in doing the concessions for the event. This is good news because, besides the usual snacks and beverages, they will likely do char-broiled food, too -- brats, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc... This means a promotional tie-in with the neighborhood which means we should get a lot of interest from the community.

As a favor to me, if you are reading this thread and you'd like to attend, please post an entry here. This will help me get some idea of how many slots we need for performers, lecturers, etc. Also, I'd like to get a handle on how many people want to participate in jam sessions and/or would like space in the exhibition room. I anticipate a pretty good mix of jams, lecture/demos, a hands-on exhibition room, and performances.

The space is smaller than what is used at the main electro-music festivals. Thus, we will have continuous activity and not as much concurrent activity. The performance space's "stage" area will likely be divided into left and right sides -- while performance occurs on one side the next performance sets up on the other. While this sounds difficult it actually works out really well -- we do this in a much smaller space at the live-looping festival. So, expect some events to alternate between the upstairs and downstairs and others to alternate on the main floor.

No final decision yet on the floor layout, etc. Just want to keep you posted.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Another poll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you haven't already, please go to this thread and participate in the online poll.

Thanks!

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-226394.html

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Regional festival rescheduled
Subject description: it happens in July 2009!

The dates for the Kansas City Regional electro-music festival are:

07/24/2009 through 07/26/2009 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)

The location is:

Walnut Creek Clubhouse
5502 Clubhouse Cove
Parkville, Mo. 64152

Though this is billed as a "regional" festival, all are invited. If you can't get away for the October festival, consider a visit to Kansas City in July!

kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: 2009 regional electro-music festival in Kansas City, Mo.
Subject description: Update

Hello all electro-musicians.

I will continue to use this thread to post updates on the festival.

Concessions and local promotion

I have spoken with the person that will handle concessions for the electro-music festival. We will have snacks, beverages, and meal items available on site. As is done at the national festival, you will be able to purchase tickets that can, in turn, be used to purchase food. We should have, at times, a charcoal grill up and running so we will have burgers, brats, and hotdogs, too.

That the neighborhood is solidly behind the festival is a tremendous plus. We should have a good audience and a great opportunity to bring people into the electro-music.community.

Call for participation

For now, if you would like to participate as a performer or lecturer, or have questions please send me a message here or email me at kkissinger [at] kevinkissinger.com.

Expect an official call for participation to come out by March 1st with an April 1st deadline.

You are invited

While this is billed as a "regional" festival, everyone is invited! Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available. I will post it on this thread.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Call for Participation and other info
Subject description: Deadline is May 1st, 2009

I've decided to include three meals as part of the festival package. This way you can enjoy a hot, balanced meal without having to miss any part of the festival. These will be dinners (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). (The neighborhood backed out of the concession service so the ball is in my court now Smile )

Tickets will go on sale here at the electro-music.com web site for $45 per person which includes the entire festival and three meals. I will post an update when the tickets are in the electro-music.com store.

Note that after June 1st, the ticket price will increase to $55.

I have attached a Call for Participation and Festival Rules document. Please download the document, fill it out (electronically), and email it to me as soon as you can. Note the deadline is May 1st, 2009. This will give me time to organize the program and prepare local and web promotion of the festival.

If you want to perform, organize a jam session, present a seminar, organize a panel discussion, or demonstrate equipment, please consider applying for a slot at the festival.

If you have more than one proposal then please fill out one form per proposal so that I can keep everything organized.

Thank you in advance for your participation in the Regional electro-music festival.

RulesforKCEM_2009.doc
 Description:
Call for Participation

Download
 Filename:  RulesforKCEM_2009.doc
 Filesize:  37.5 KB
 Downloaded:  342 Time(s)

jmcdaniel_ee

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,
What time frame were you expecting for the daily events? I'm interested in attending, but no 100% positive that I'll be able to yet.

James
kkissinger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Time frame Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The time frame depends on how many people sign up...

I still have yet to decide on firm times although it will likely by Friday from 5pm to 1130pm, Saturday 1230pm to 1130pm, and Sunday 1230pm to 530pm. We have the option to start earlier on Friday and run later on Sunday... it depends on how many people we have.

Hope you can make it!

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(post removed by author)

Last edited by kkissinger on Tue May 19, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cancellation
Subject description: Regional EM event in Kansas City cancelled

kkissinger wrote:
This event has been cancelled. Might try again in the future.

Thanks to all who expressed interest in this.

Sorry to hear this Kevin :(

What happened?

Page 1 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: