electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Just say NO to paging files (on Windows that is)
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Just say NO to paging files (on Windows that is) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone else turned off their paging file in Windows? I've hear you can get slightly better response time from certain machines when you do this.
I'm using XP Pro- I won't go near Vista.

My laptop has 2GB ram, T8100 2.10 Ghz Core 2 Duo.

I've rebooted after turning of the paging file, and used a commercial defragger to clean up this disk. (I've seen this defragger make a difference even before I turned off the paging file.)

I don't see any appreciable difference in performance or responsiveness yet.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My PC guru,
http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
as well as a lot of other (non-microsoft) sources, recommend not turning paging files off. Apparently windows just doesn't deal with it not being there.
Instead, you should do what you've already done (ie, temporarily turn it off while you defrag the rest of the drive) then set a fixed size which reflects the kind of use it gets.
Fixed size is the key thing.
So set the minimum and maximum to the same size.

By doing this, you tie down the size of the page file so windows can't jump in and arbitrarily change it's size based on bad usage data. Windows will do this all the time if you let it, which leads to a fragmented pagefile, terrible disk performance and therefore poor system speed.
You can make the pagefile quite small, especially if you don't have many applications open at a time, and depending on how much RAM you have. A "one application at a time" kind of user/setup with 1G of RAM, could probably get away with 512M. The size tweakguides (Korush Gazhi) recommends is 2G, (although that is geared towards gaming rigs). I use 1G, which seems just fine. (and I also play some fairly system intensive games)(I only have 1G of RAM)
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows deals perfectly well with the paging file turned off, basically if you run out of ram it crashes.

I tend not to have a paging file setup, for machines with slow or overloaded disk systems you will see a speed improvement.

Also if you don't get near using all your ram you don't need a paging file. Virtual memory should only be used if you do not have enough ram for thw work you do on the machine.

If you do then use a fixed size for it and place it on a disk that doesn't get used much. It is always a good idea not to have it on your main system disk. Recommendations are to set it to 1.5 times the size of your ram, why this would be I don't know.

Get PerfectDisk defragger, this deals with this sort of stuff quite well and can be used to move paging files to the part of the disk with better seek times.

Also interestingly enough, the guy sitting next to me heres dad was the co-inventor of virtual memory, Prof Frank Sumner.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: