electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Certain components unobtainable - any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Perejil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Certain components unobtainable - any suggestions? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a slide potentiometer that is quite long (ideally about 30cm, but a little more or less would be ok). All i can find are 60mm, which is no good for my purposes.

Also, nowhere seems to have a 0.002uF capacitor - any ideas?

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Certain components unobtainable - any suggestions? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perejil wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a slide potentiometer that is quite long (ideally about 30cm, but a little more or less would be ok). All i can find are 60mm, which is no good for my purposes.

You can get various 'Linear Positioning Sensors' of that size and larger. At those sizes they're usually not called potentiometers anymore, even though the function is the same. You can also get them in the form of ribbon-type variable resistors, cylinder/pistons, slides (almost like normal slide pots) , cable reels etc.. in lengths up to several meters. However, we're moving into the relam of industrial hardware here, so they are not cheap.

Here is a discussion right here on EM on using the ribbon-type variable resistors. Here are some from Sparkfun that you can buy quite cheaply. You would need to make the sliding knob and associated mechanics yourself. That thread may have other sources, and maybe some of our members know of more(?)

Edit: at some point 'Photoelectric Distance Sensors' may be more economical or practical, if the application allows it. Just mention that to let the imagination run... Smile

Quote:
Also, nowhere seems to have a 0.002uF capacitor - any ideas?

Use 0.0022uF (that's 2.2nF). That's a standard value and close enough for most purposes. My guess is that the given value 0.002uF is a typo, as you will not normally find them anywhere. Standard capacitors have 10, 15, 22, 33, 47 or 68 as the most significant digits of the value.

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: 0.0033uF capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just placed an order for some components but just now realized that they did in fact have 0.0033uF capacitors. What's a safe substitution for this - closest value or some in parallel?

Thanks!

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.0033uF capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
I just placed an order for some components but just now realized that they did in fact have 0.0033uF capacitors. What's a safe substitution for this - closest value or some in parallel?

You're right 33 is also one of the common values. I missed that one out of the list above, I'm sorry if that caused any confusion. I better mention that there are other values in between the ones listed, but they're not used nearly as much.

As for the correctness of the value, it depends on what the capacitor is used for. If it's power supply decoupling then its not so critical, but elsewhere you may want to try 0.0022+0.0010 uF in parallel.

DJ
--
opg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks! I'm building a bit crusher pedal:

http://www.geocities.com/worthekik/bitcrusher.html

cthulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bitcrushing... Bug squash there is nothing like it... Very Happy

And here is the schematic...
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Fuzz%20and%20Fuzzy%20Noisemakers/Analog%20Bit%20Crusher.gif
As you see the 3n3 cap is one of the frequency determining components of the LFO. If you put a 2n2 cap in there,
the max/min frequency will be a bit faster. Halve the cap and you will get double frequency at the same pot setting ( R9 ).
opg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got all the parts yesterday....Aww yeah Cool
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: