electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
1/4 bass guitar
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: 1/4 bass guitar Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When buying a new acoustic bass guitar (Dean) my Vester fretted bass guitar was a left over: not worth anything to sell or give away. I decided to rework the bass to a 1/4 bass guitar, by restring it using the four lower strings of a five string bass guitar. Some holes and saddles had to be sanded a little larger so the string would fit perfectly and the neck had to be adjusted for sure. I also installed a Fishman single coil pick up and build it in with a jack plug-in underneath its body.
Such a bass is called a 1/4 bass, because it's a forth under the normal tuning. Of course the G string is gone and the highest is now the D. I used Dunlop nickel plated steel strings, measuring 65 - 85 - 105 - 130.

I attach a sound sample of the two lower strings, played by only the thumb, then by a plectrum, which is followed by two finger plucking and at last slapping. The sound file ends by a little line using my electrified jug...

Wout

Four_Sounds.mp3
 Description:
Bass guitar sounds

Download
 Filename:  Four_Sounds.mp3
 Filesize:  789.92 KB
 Downloaded:  851 Time(s)

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

offtopic.. this one is veeeery cool

http://www.largesound.com/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember a bass player back in the late 80s, or early 90s who had one of his Warwick basses set up like that, and he kindly let me try it at a jam session. It was slightly confusing at first, me not being a real bass player you see, but once I started using my ears instead of the old boxes, it was indeed a great experience - much better to me than playing a five- or six string.
Wout, I like your attitude, always pushing the envelope!

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
offtopic.. this one is veeeery cool

http://www.largesound.com/
I played this one just a couple of weeks ago. It sounds alright, certainly not great, but transporting is really easy Laughing
Anyway, it doesn't work! Positioning your fingers is almost impossible for a grown up! It could be great to 5 years old children and midgets...
The strings feel like elastic rubber bindings of a very inferior brand. You mis the vibrating instrument.

And at least: you look very silly playing it! Nice for a circus act...
How can I bury it deeper?

Wout
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: