electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Darlington transistor ULN2803A problem
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kuroguro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Darlington transistor ULN2803A problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all.

I'm trying to make a midi board for a Solina stringer, and I've run into a problem.

My idea was to use Octal Darlington transistors (ULN2803A) and use each transistor to trigger a note.
My problem is that when a key on the keyboard is pressed - a negative voltage (-17V) is coming through.

How on earth can I achieve that when using digital logic (0 and 5V) to control the darlington transistors ?
I thought of connecting the -17V to the last collector of the darlingtons, but then I need to convert the logic to corresponding negative voltages (as a base-collector voltage difference 1.4V will turn the darlington on)
Otherwise I could leave the base "floating" when it's supposed to be off.

I intended to use 74HC595 shift registers to control the 2803's, but even though they are "tri-state" - there's no way to replace logic oFF with "floating".
At least not a way I know of.

Does anyone know of a shift register, where I can output a negative voltage or "floating" ? Or have some other idea of how I can convert digital to -17V for 49 notes ?

I hope someone can help me - thanks.
stewpye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been on synth-diy and the stompbox forum for years.

You can do it with just a shift register, 1 NPN and 1 PNP transistor (and 2 resistors). It would be best with the 74LS596 open collector shift register. I did a spice simulation to check it works. I've attached a PDF schematic. Let me know if you want the spice file.

R3 would be the pullup resistor for your open collector output. when it is pulled low (as shown) the -17V is switched on. Let me know if you need any further explanation.

Cheers,
Stew.

-17V switch.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  -17V switch.pdf
 Filesize:  18.34 KB
 Downloaded:  230 Time(s)

stewpye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, if it's a 0V - 17V switched signal you need you could arrange it a bit differently, but I have to go to work now...

Stew.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: