electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS49: twin wasp filter
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: CGS49: twin wasp filter
Subject description: 'nother new one from one of SDIY's best friends
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i haven't ordered mine yet, so at the risk of finding them sold out by the time i do:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs49_twf.html

"This board containts two independant VCFs based on the popular CMOS based Wasp VCF, In adition it also features adjustable post-filter distortion.
Distortion channel is based on Jurgen Haible's design. Filter originally by Chris Huggett."

THANKS, KEN!!!

bbob

zthee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first one who builds it need to put up samples! Very Happy

I think I'm gonna build one.
But I think having all the individual outputs on the front panel and then a few extra inputs could be fun - for example; feedback from BP to input and then LP to distortion to next filter and then feedback again Smile

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny, I was checking his site last night hopeing he'd come out with something new. What a nice surprise today!
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I think to get 'Divergence', as in Cynthia's wasp filter, you simply push the same CV into one of the filter's positive CV inputs and simultaneously into the other filter's negative CV in. Gonna have to try that when I build the unit.

R.
Fernando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Romeo, one could also use Ken's CV Cluster for "VC Divergence" (with this dual filter, any two filters or any two devices, of course)
TekniK

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone did built this one with successfull results?
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just the filter?
yes -no worries
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
just the filter?
yes -no worries

no, the whole board cgs49 twin wasp filter

i wander whats the little pcb added that can be seen on the picture
andrewF

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

no, the whole board cgs49 twin wasp filter

i wander whats the little pcb added that can be seen on the picture

yep - i mean the whole board
no idea what the add-on is
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah,ok,hmm well mine everythings seems ok just the filter stay open ,cutoff offset
andrewF

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try wiring the freq pots between +/-V rather than +V/Gnd
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:

hmm,good idea!
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:

I found I had to do this as well. Otherwise mine is working great - even wired up a divergence CV input.
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
andrewF wrote:

I found I had to do this as well. Otherwise mine is working great - even wired up a divergence CV input.

ah, good to know,thanks for feedback!

I know abouth resergence,but what is divergence cv ?
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
andrewF wrote:

ah, good to know,thanks for feedback!

I know abouth resergence,but what is divergence cv ?

There's a jack that takes a CV input and feeds it via an attenuator to the 2 filters - it sends the actual CV signal to one of the filters and an inverted version of the CV to the other.
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, thanks both for help.

Its ok now,but i think the add on board is the offsets for the cutoff because straight +/-V gives unbalance in the cuttoff pot.

Stone should mention all these fixes on his site,now hes selling not proper working kits. Confused
otherunicorn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
ok, thanks both for help.

Its ok now,but i think the add on board is the offsets for the cutoff because straight +/-V gives unbalance in the cuttoff pot.

Stone should mention all these fixes on his site,now hes selling not proper working kits. Confused

If I wasn't so busy helping other people, I just may be able to find time to update my web pages. I haven't had time to even work on my own synth for ages. And yes, those trimmers are just a couple of frequency adjustments fed into the the CV inputs.

AND I'm not selling kits at all. I'm selling PCBs. These boards work just fine without the extra trimmers.

I will admit more wiring diagrams would be nice because it seems a lot of my builders can't (or won't) read the schematics.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Stone should mention all these fixes on his site,now hes selling not proper working kits.

Teknik, please refrain from posting accusatory comments such as this on this forum. If you're having difficulty with a build, it's fine to ask civil questions. It is a damn sight far from fine when you translate your build problems into making posts about Ken selling improper "kits".

TekniK

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its not a build problem,its a factory circuit design problem that luckly can be resolved due to helping forum members.

Its a fact,i don't get what u try do defend here.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Feel free to debate my intelligence (you did not have to delete that part of your original post); I believe attempting any fruitful conversation with you is evidence that it should be called into question.

You should, however, understand Ken Stone is not a "factory". Others on this topic have working modules using the PCB (not kit) Ken supplied. If you have problems, you ask questions and resolve them. You crack a book. You learn. You do it yourself.

hottlungs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What connection would you make to the ccw position of the potentiometer in place of gnd to wire it between +/-V?
otherunicorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hottlungs wrote:
What connection would you make to the ccw position of the potentiometer in place of gnd to wire it between +/-V?

If you mean "how do you wire the frequency pot so that it gives a wider range, going lower than the frequency obtainable with the CCW end of the pot wired to earth", the answer is you wire it to -VE. If that gives you too much range, put a resistor between the CCW end and the -VE rail. 47k would be a good starting point.

hottlungs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that definitely did the trick. thank you for your help.
SOTS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just finished mine and had a few questions:
(FYI: i'm running on -/+12 volt)

-for the freq pot wiring to -VE, is it okay to wire it up to the point right after the ferrite bead that connects to the -15v connection? if not, what's the best point in reference to the scheme?

-distortion: the volume decreases and seems to get less distorted (possibly just perception due to volume drop) as i turn it clockwise. was wondering if this is normal.

- does anyone know how to increase the resonance? it doesn't seem very responsive. i really like the FAT sound i can get from my MFOS sound lab ultimate filter's res knob and was wondering if there was a way to do this. [/b]
otherunicorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SOTS wrote:
just finished mine and had a few questions:
(FYI: i'm running on -/+12 volt)[/b]

-for the freq pot wiring to -VE, is it okay to wire it up to the point right after the ferrite bead that connects to the -15v connection? if not, what's the best point in reference to the scheme?

That location is fine.

SOTS wrote:
-distortion: the volume decreases and seems to get less distorted (possibly just perception due to volume drop) as i turn it clockwise. was wondering if this is normal.

Less distortion = less signal energy, thus probably a perceived volume drop. You could compensate by decreasing the 100k feeding into the pot on the non-distortion side of the pot. Note that you are not actually adjusting the distortion - it distorts 100% of the time. You are panning between an undistorted signal, and the distorted signal.

SOTS wrote:
- does anyone know how to increase the resonance? it doesn't seem very responsive. i really like the FAT sound i can get from my MFOS sound lab ultimate filter's res knob and was wondering if there was a way to do this. [/b]

Maybe decrease the 33k resistor connected to the wiper of the resonance port. I've not tried it, so I am guessing.

Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: