electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
I used the V chip against myself
Page 2 of 8 [195 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dewdrop_world wrote:

Discovery Channel aka the "Deadliest Catch" network. Question Question Somebody must watch a LOT of that show because it seems to be on nearly every time I check.

Well, not ALL programs on those channels are good, but some are.

Scott: I used to go to sleep to Coast to Coast but when Art Bell left, it went downhill, IMHO.

At home, I very rarely listen to a physical radio, I'm listening to streams on the internet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Glenn Beck pukel

I envy your being able to not know who that guy is. You are a very, very lucky man......

Yes! That's the jerk! Glen Beck! Shocked Now HE IS that nazi rightwing jerk I was referring to!! pukel

hey....GOT IT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEk864YrKw

Cool Cool Cool

PS- note the Tangerine Dream sample- oooerr!! Cool Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Octahedra

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Inventor wrote:
I don't own a television

Hey! Brother! Me neither Cool

I've never owned a television - originally due to cost and now because there's just too much else to do!

But I do have lots of DVDs, mostly of television programmes I used to watch when I was a lot younger. Most of them, as it happens, of the same television programme. dalek

Gordon
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Mosc,

My feelings exactly! Art was cool. He's still on, very rarely, as a guest host. I heard him a couple of weeks ago - he's stuck in the Phillipines right now because the USCIS has totally hosed the removal of conditional status on his wife's greencard. I know whom (or rather the branch of government) he's dealing with, and I gotta tell you, he's up the proverbial creek without a paddle. No matter that he did everything by the book.

George Noory has just (to me) gotten creepier and creepier. No matter how off the wall a guest is, he mewls his agreement and rapt interest in the subject, no matter what it is. It was the one time I tuned in, and the guest was evoking "Obamaggedon" - George was right there, letting it all fly by under the guise of genuine facthood. I kid you not, he did the same thing with some gal arguing the existence of unicorns a few months back. Yuck. Eventually, Art would break down and call a spade a spade. Now, on weekends, I do rather like Ian Punnet - wish he was on full time.

For my news, by golly, it's Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert (I particularly love Stephen - that guy can have me in tears in no time).

Here's some recent Jon Stewart, on CNN's covering of the Iranian election and ensuing demonstrations:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Irandecision 2009 - CNN's Unverified Material
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorJason Jones in Iran

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Lazy journalism!

Chinese whispers anyone? Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stephen Colbert...

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Murder in the White House - Jeff Goldblum
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorStephen Colbert in Iraq

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Stephen Colbert...

Background story
Quote:
“We support compassion for the even the smallest animals," says Bruce Friedrich, VP for Policy at PETA. “We support giving insects the benefit of the doubt."

Friedrich says PETA supports "brushing flies away rather than killing them" and was disappointed that the President had gone ahead and squashed the pesky fly.

Rolling Eyes

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Beware of the fear mongering Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

I hadn't seen that one!!!

Here's a bit more background on the Colbert video:

<td style='padding:2px 1px 0px 5px;' colspan='2'Obama Orders Stephen's Haircut - Ray Odierno
www.colbertnation.com

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Obama fly swat remix Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a riot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4Pmr3JM1I

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

I'm sorta surprised we haven't seen a certain fly's carcass put up for auction on EBay yet....

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one of my all-time fave Colbert pieces - Tom, he voices his agreement with Glenn Beck in this one.

The 10.31 Project
www.colbertnation.com

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fox is such a crack news outfit.....

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Yeah, and "crack is whack"!

dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I suppose you've all heard that Fox misidentified Gov. Sanford of SC as a Democrat when the news of his trip to Argentina broke. He's a Republican!

I can't imagine what motivation Fox would have had to avoid the association between embarrassing news and the GOP. No idea at all.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

Yea but...

You might be hard pressed to find more than a couple news stories by anyone printed or broadcast prior to the autopsy that did not at least mention a head injury as a possible cause of death - including most articles on the dailykos.

In this case, I think I am offended by the dailykos' sense of "journalism" more than by Fox.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Mention", yes. "Mantra", no.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
including most articles on the dailykos.

This sort of confused me. I didn't recall reading anything about the story on dailykos. I rarely read the diaries, so was it a member's diary?

I usually scan through the daily posted articles and stories; I went back and had another look - I still didn't find anything except the video I posted above. That's not to say there isn't one, but if there is, I'm not seeing it. If you've got an actual article from dailykos on the matter, could you please provide a link?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You may be amused to know that we all in this household, have the swine flu! Shocked

hey relax! It's cool- well not cool, I'm sweating like, well a pig, and an (un)healthy cough to boot! The doctor just tells us to stay at home. If I go out shopping, and cough- people take one step back! Laughing Laughing

It's also fucking hot right now, with 85% humidty. It's like the figgin tropics!! Shocked

There's some weird shit goin down in America eh?? Shocked

Come live in Blighty! If the drink don't get yer, the devil must! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There's some weird shit goin down in America eh??

I can't remember the last slow news week.

Dang, dude, you really have the swine flu? Take care of yourself.

This week it's been around 100 degrees F in these parts, though it was more like 95 today.

GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some links to check out:

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/commentary/videomemory/images.htm

http://www.whitedot.org/issue/iss_front.asp

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ptn-cNBJA

http://amiestreet.com/music/gary-rea/reinvention/
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Blow up your TV throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own"

-John Prine, "Spanish Pipedream"

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GaryRea wrote:
Some links to check out:

One of my fave films was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Dir: Francois Truffaut) Cool

I don't think there is some big underlying conspiracy, just complacency. many (though not all) English folk are lazy, and worse, conservative (the two usually go together- along with ignorance and religion to boot). This in turn is fuelled by a dying print media, desperate for a scoop.

I rang the BBC last night, and complained directly to the news desk, about how they had worded a headlining article on the recent death of a 6 year old girl here in Birmingham. She was already very ill with a rare blood disorder- then she contracted the pig flu, and it went downwards from there.

This was the original article;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8124781.stm

note how the headlines contradict themselves- starting with, in bold; quote, "A Girl dies after getting swine flu."

and then, not in bold; quote "It is not known if flu contributed to her death."

The emphasis is on "swine flu", and "death"

Then after I complained, it was followed up with this report (which imo, is a backdown);

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8126095.stm

quote; "Swine flu girl 'had tough life'"

Now, today, there is no mention of it whatsoever (well- almost- damn Northern Ireland!!!;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/default.stm

My children's school won't let any child in who has flu (my kids have the flu right now- all symptoms being classic swine), and want a full doctors report, but the doctors aren't seeing any more patients- so it's catch 22, and we can't work, because we have to look after the kids. It's mass hysteria, sparked off by a handful of irresponsible journalists desperate to hold on to their jobs.

I actually think "The Wire" series, set in Baltimore, USA, summed the situation up perfectly. The producers imo, got it spot on.

PS, the only reason we don't have a TV, is because the licence is too expensive, and unless you fancy watching Big Brother on C4 every hour of the day (in fact why not change the name of C4 to "Big Brother"? Shocked ), there's either not a lot on, or you miss it when it comes around, and vcr's only work with tv's- so why not just have a computer instead? Watch the BBC iPlayer, which doesn't require a licence! Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GaryRea wrote:

Hmm- coincidence or what?? Laughing

Quote:
Gerrymandering is a form of redistribution in which electoral district or constituency boundaries are deliberately modified for electoral advantage. Gerrymandering may be used to help or hinder particular constituents, such as members of a political, racial, linguistic, religious or class group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Shocked Laughing

GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hmm- coincidence or what?? Laughing

Quote:
Gerrymandering is a form of redistribution in which electoral district or constituency boundaries are deliberately modified for electoral advantage. Gerrymandering may be used to help or hinder particular constituents, such as members of a political, racial, linguistic, religious or class group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Shocked Laughing

Yes, apparently, his parents had a sense of humor.

Gary

http://amiestreet.com/music/gary-rea/reinvention/
Page 2 of 8 [195 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: