electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Show me your G2's!
Page 6 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
mush

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Latest pictures of my setup in Copenhagen. (Have added an Acidlab Bassline II, a Korg SQ10 sequencer and a white Micro Modular since these pictures)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

And behind the curtain:

And finally some of the music made in here:
http://soundcloud.com/kuf-records/fejld-winter-in-trumansburg
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that looks pretty inspiring, nice studio!
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My new setup means one less Nord g2 (2 has always been too much G2 power for me, keeping it down with one G2 is what's always worked best for me.

I always have something else to do some sequencing for me which has been the rs7000 --- until now. I am beyond awestruck by the addition of some new red swedish gear -- namely, the Elektron MachineDrum UW Shocked Its awesome and mindblowing!

The MD machine drum is pretty sick little monster. It can be so tame, and so wild, and both deceptively simple and incredibly deep at the same time ... the last time I felt like this about gear was when I first got a Micro Modular, and before that Lego(tm).

I finally got around to putting it into the studio (into the heart of the studio of course). I have it's midi out going into a G2 which then acts as a huge midi processor as well, which then remaps certain midi messages before sending them back to the md (and through to a splitter which feeds every other synth). This way I can take an incoming note, and for example, transpose it, chop it, add controllers, remap controllers, create additional lfo's, whatever -- you get the idea.

My synths all run into the G2's inputs which mix (mic, blofeld, x0xb0x, dark energy), the mix out goes into my 2880 looper (which can loop long sections), but I also have a dedicated (mixed to mono) loop send output which goes into one of the MD's audio inputs for true looping madness... the md's stereo out goes into the 2800 looper's aux input, meaning I don't need to use a mixer (since the 2880 can do 4 inputs).

the pc1600 controls the drum volumes of each of the 16 MD tracks, and it rocks Smile

This is a very good functional combo that includes both VA and true analogue . The Nord going through the Dark energy is pretty amazing (I use it to add osc's, filter fb, and as a final amp incl amp envelope - because the Dark energy only has one - which I have routed to the filter). The only tricky part that took some more effort was ensuring that the Dark Energy's output was compressed correctly (through an alesis 3630) to handle any signal or resonance setting, prior to going into the G2. Albert, thank you salut for the Doepfer Dark Energy recommendation. I love that synth/filter.

The Blofeld does other things so it doesn't overlap, which isn't much at the moment, but soon it will (c/o the MD).

haagen md studio .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.19 KB
 Viewed:  484 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

haagen md studio .jpg

Last edited by dasz on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mush, nice setup ... the elektron(z) next to the G2 is well, well, well ... and the moog is looking quite "lush" Smile (I'm getting that feeling from the Dark Energy over here)

I just added a MD UW to my rig very recently, and well, well, well ...
/Dasz
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Dasz + Mush,

Them setups are looking great fellas.

Hope to really sort out the ergonomics in mine once (/if?) I get a new house.

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow Dasz! that looks like a pretty complicated setup, but also extremely versatile. I've read wonders about the MachineDrum, looks like "the definitive" drum machine.
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Albert, actually the setup is not that complicated. midi wise the nord and elektron both can create midi messages and the nord can also process them ... audio wise, it's basic too, although with the uw feature of the elektron I am running out of outputs on the g2 (as I use it as a mixer, and want to send its mix out independently of output I want to send to a looper -- allowing for a 4x1 input to 2x2 output matrix)

--

now on my to-do in my Nord G2 custom sequencing system (parts of which work in a way like parameter locks in the elektrons machines combined with apreggios) is to add transpositions along the circle of fifths meaning I can travel around harmonies in safety... and if I find a thing I like then I can go with a flow ... while still being able to change things ...

another thing that I have been doing is which is OT is using the swing from the elektron and using it to swing my g2 sequencers (as well as record G2 variation changes as parameter locks) ...

I think the Nord G2 and eletrkon really belong together they really complement each other ... maybe because they're both red and come from sweden ....

and both are quality machines.

i do have much to learn about the elektrons though ... not going to buy more gear for a while ...

setting up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.69 KB
 Viewed:  20833 Time(s)

setting up.jpg

iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like you've got some interesting inter-relationship stuff going on between the machines. I recently rewired my midi in my studio so I could get anything that makes midi to control anything that wants midi, thanks to an old MOTU XT and a custom built midi switch box, still need a few midi leads to finish it off though.

dasz wrote:

another thing that I have been doing is which is OT is using the swing from the elektron and using it to swing my g2 sequencers

Say what!? Smile What do you mean?

Quote:

(as well as record G2 variation changes as parameter locks) ...

Quality idea! Smile I have made a few weird patches in the Nord which use another slots semi random sequencer to change the variations but this method could yield some quality results.

Quote:

I think the Nord G2 and eletrkon really belong together they really complement each other ... maybe because they're both red and come from sweden ....

and both are quality machines.

Very much agree. Smile And the way you construct kits and can use the lfos make the MD pretty modular anyway.

SNEAKY SPAM ALERT : So far though I have been too chicken to use the Nord live so for my first outing I used the MD and a Virus C :
http://soundcloud.com/ipassenger/acrossborderspromo

Quote:

i do have much to learn about the elektrons though ...

I've had two of the beasts and I am still learning nearly every time I switch it on.
Quote:

not going to buy more gear for a while ...

mm... Well I wouldn't be if the buggers at Elektron weren't bringing that damn Octatrack out!

I'm hoping that by using that I will be able to take the longer evolving pattern and sequence stuff from the Nord out with my to gigs without actually taking them.

mush

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:

dasz wrote:

another thing that I have been doing is which is OT is using the swing from the elektron and using it to swing my g2 sequencers

That's easy. Make a midi-track outputing 16ths from the MD to the G2, use the 16ths to step the sequencer. Once you put shuffle on the MD the G2 will shuffle as well.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mush wrote:
iPassenger wrote:

dasz wrote:

That's easy. Make a midi-track outputing 16ths from the MD to the G2, use the 16ths to step the sequencer. Once you put shuffle on the MD the G2 will shuffle as well.

Doh! Of course, simple. Cheers. Smile

mush

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit has changed...

The Copenhagen Noise Lab today.

iPassenger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mush wrote:

Wow, the Elektron/Acidlab rig looks sweet. Smile

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just thinking that.
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, vary noice! Very Happy

how did you integrate the manta in your setup?

best regards

eike
---
mush

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I use the Manta as a controller for the G2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bawAZn0Gi14

But the last weeks the focus has been on my own controller, the one on the left from the Monome 128. You can see that one here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/alternative-musical-expression-a-diy-pressure-sensitive-multi-ribbon-controller/
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - awesome controller! salut
mush

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tack, Antimon, att leka med den är faktiskt det mest inspirerande jag gjort med en synthesizer sen jag var typ 14...
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahså, när ska du börja att tillverka fler till då? Jag vill har en sådan i alla fall! Very Happy

what data does your controller output? do you need a computer to use it?

best regards

eike
---
mush

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

klangumsetzer wrote:
ahså, när ska du börja att tillverka fler till då? Jag vill har en sådan i alla fall! Very Happy

what data does your controller output? do you need a computer to use it?

best regards

eike
---

Det blir bara ett ex av denna som den är nu...

It is using midi, sending only cc's. So no compu required. I've designed it for my g2. I can convert the data in the g2 for more conventional use, but i rarely do. I love my g2 and for softsynths like the marvellous aalto i use my Manta.

The g2 is nice as you have the voicenumber that you can route to the 2 muxes and set the pitch of each strip with a contolsequence and route the array of ccs through the muxes and get two continious controllers polyphonically on each note. I just set up two slots to cover all 12 touch-strips. Much more fast way to work than building 12 instances in each patch like i did with my first patches for this controller.

If i ever do build another controller it will be based around osc instead of midi, as the high resolution would make it even more costumizable.

Regards

Rasmus
klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the info, rasmus. Very Happy

if you ever should sell those, count me in.

best regards

eike
---
drumfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a small but efficient set-up Wink

g2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  360.27 KB
 Viewed:  246 Time(s)

g2.jpg

g2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  360.27 KB
 Viewed:  252 Time(s)

g2.jpg

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drumfish wrote:
a small but efficient set-up Wink

Yeah that looks like dynamite! Smile

klangumsetzer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for supporting the swedish economy, drumfish. Wink
looks user-friendly and well organized.

best regards

eike
---
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drumfish, are you left handed?

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
expermusic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

klangumsetzer wrote:
thanks for supporting the swedish economy, drumfish. Wink
looks user-friendly and well organized.

best regards

eike
---

Ha, I was jus tthinking the same thing sitting in my studio room. I've got a Nord Engine, a Nord LEad 2 keyboard, Machinedrum UW and all of my furniture is Ikea...

SO, are there any other swedish synth manufacturers? I don't want to leave anyone out!

Page 6 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: