electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS09-VC divider: no output at HF out...
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rjd2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: CGS09-VC divider: no output at HF out...
Subject description: is yours working?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi folks, im wondering if anyone has any leads on this unit, if you might have successfully built it.

i BELIEVE i've got all the wiring correct; ive got CVN and VE+ wired to the switched jack of the cv input jack.

when i feed audio to the M+IN input, i dont get anything at the HO output regardless of CV in pot or clock sensitivity pot, or even if i sweep thru the offset trimmer, or span trimmer.

i checked my power pins of my IC's, and i've got proper voltage there.

the only thing i can see that's different from my unit, to ken's website images, is that the 100nf caps i have are ceramic, not film. could that possibly be the issue?

if so, i have 220nf in film, would that work or should i wait and order 100nf film?

thanks, rj
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi
Ceramics caps will be fine for this circuit.
Are the other outputs & led doing anything?

Did you go thru the set-up procedure?
From CGS
Quote:
This module requires setting up. Feed an audio signal into the Clock In input. Monitor the output at HO Pulse Out. With the control voltage set at 0 volts, adjust the OFFSET trimmer until the input frequency equals the output frequency. With the control voltage set at the maximum (15 volts if wired as per the diagram), adjust the SPAN trimmer until you get the lowest frequency possible. If the output stops then back up until you get a signal again.
rjd2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, good to know on the caps. thanks.

i actually was trying to do the setup; that's where i was having problems, is that w/ audio going into CLOCK IN, i get nothing at the HF OUT, regardless of CV IN pot position, or OFFSET trimmer position.

maybe i should ask this-i dont have a CV going to either of the CV in jacks. i JUST have audio going to CLOCK IN. is that wrong?

i'll try just sending a CV to the CVin, and check voltage at the outputs.

thanks for the help!
rjd2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one thing to clarify here: there are 2 lm358's in the circuit. one of them-the lower left- i am reading 0v at pin 4(proper for the datasheet), and the other one-the upper right- pin 4 reads -15v(which looks right per the tracing.

is this right?
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If u build it like its writen on his site everything should be fine,mine works
w/o any problem.
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes thumleft
the one powered between 0V and +15V is a comparator so the output (which clocks the 4024) cannot go negative or the 4024 shits itself.
The other with the +/- supply is processing the Cv signal.
rjd2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm. ok. so i can at least verify that all my IC's power legs are correct.

teknik-can you confirm a few wiring things on your working unit?

1-do you have both CVN and VE+ wired to the switching pin of CV IN 1 switched jack?

2-is your CV in pot wired as such: wiper=M+IN, CW= CV IN JACK, and CCW=ground?

there doesnt seem to be too much else to have a discrepancy as far as wiring, so that info would be very helpful. thanks, rj
andrewF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rjd2 wrote:

1-do you have both CVN and VE+ wired to the switching pin of CV IN 1 switched jack?

2-is your CV in pot wired as such: wiper=M+IN, CW= CV IN JACK, and CCW=ground?

Only CVN should be wired to the switching pin, it supplies +15V thru a current limiting resistor. The resistor is there to prevent other modules getting a 15V 1A (or whatever your PSU is) jolt on their outputs, when you plug in a patchcord.

No pot should be connected to M+IN, well, you could have one as an attenuator for your clock input but not really necessary. The M inputs are clock inputs not CV. The wiper of the CV pot should go to CV1
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rjd2 wrote:
hmm. ok. so i can at least verify that all my IC's power legs are correct.

teknik-can you confirm a few wiring things on your working unit?

there doesnt seem to be too much else to have a discrepancy as far as wiring, so that info would be very helpful. thanks, rj

hi,i did wire it like andrew described

did u check for any forgotten jumper or bad solder joints?

(i forgot one leg to solder from a risistor in fact and only saw it after checking with magnifieing glasses)

maybe you should check your pcb solder side from 'closer'

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/ponydv_112.jpg
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/ponydv2_824.jpg
rjd2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teknik, can you tell me how your DIV pot is wired? to what pins? the sensitivity pot is clearly stated in the build notes, but there's no clear mention of wiring for another pot.

yea, i've checked all my solder joints. that's the first thing i do when something doesnt work. 99% of the time, i have something wired incorrectly, or the wrong part somewhere. my built pcb looks exactly like ken's on the website.
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rjd2 wrote:
teknik, can you tell me how your DIV pot is wired? to what pins? the sensitivity pot is clearly stated in the build notes, but there's no clear mention of wiring for another pot.

yea, i've checked all my solder joints. that's the first thing i do when something doesnt work. 99% of the time, i have something wired incorrectly, or the wrong part somewhere. my built pcb looks exactly like ken's on the website.

can't explain it better as this
rjd2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks. damn, that's exactly how i have it wired. goodness.....guess ill try swapping out chips. thanks much for that clarification, i can now confirm that all pots, jacks, and components are wired correctly. sheesh!
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: