electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Synth Britannia
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
crazeydazey

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Synth Britannia Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool looking thing on BBC tomorrow night (UK)

Synth Britannia
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't view it, but on other forums people mentioned this as well, noticing an EMS 100 and
wondered what Eno was playing on. I hope this will be broadcasted here one day.

Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I KNOW! I can't view it here in the states. If only it was on BBC America. Sad
Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
renevanderwouden

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoyed it all 90 minutes.
BERLIN SCHOOL / RETRO / ELEKTRO / AMBIENT Music - Latest info and webshop at: www.rewo-music.com| http://www.downloadplatform.com/rewo_music/ and on Bandcamp: http://www.rewo.bandcamp.com / http://www.rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com and http://renevanderwouden.bandcamp.com/

http://www.renevanderwouden.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it was good- but it reminded me of how much I hated Depeche Mode back then Laughing. Yes okay- "new life" and "just can't get enough" were two great pop tunes, but I was so relieved that bands like CAN and Tangerine Dream also existed! It was good seeing Cabaret Voltaire- I loved them, and I was also a really big fan of the first two Human League LP's Very Happy "The Normal" and Frank Tovey/ Fad Gadget were also very underrated acts at the time

Holland is one of the few European countries that get the BBC on their tv networks. Perhaps this is why they speak such good English? Shocked

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BBC four is possible to receive here, but I can't afford it.

The dutch already spoke english too before the intro of tv.
A fixed language on high school, and the movies were subtitled, so with the original sound.

If this was about english pop music like Depeche Mode, I don't think it was about synthesizers.
People like that are playing 'electronic organs' imho. Bands like Can is another story.

nerdware

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, very little of it was about the synths themselves. There was a nice shot of Kraftwerk's first vocoder, however.
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't watched it myself yet.. I have recorded it and the thing that was on afterwards, but not had time to watch it yet Sad
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sam_Zen wrote:

If this was about english pop music like Depeche Mode, I don't think it was about synthesizers.
People like that are playing 'electronic organs' imho. Bands like Can is another story.

I disagree. Static sounds in rythmic patterns as used by Depeche Mode and similar has a definite place in rock/synth history, you need synthesizers to play them, and it's a skill like anything to patch them up. While the organ could arguably been seen as a kind of synthesizer as well, Depeche go way beyond that.

Hmm... Can has been on my to-do list for a long time now, time to check them out.

/Stefan

nerdware

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It often amazes me how many synth-like sounds Can could make without synths or sequencers. For the early years, no real multitracking either. Just overdubs and edits.

Then I remember how creative I had to be before I got a synth. Wink

renevanderwouden

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since digital television (we're almost forced into that) we have BBC1/2/3/4/world. Before that we only had BBC1/2.

Back in 1984 we're having Sky Channel, but that disappeared after a couple of years.

Anyway I can listen to Depeche Mode now more than I was a teenager. I like Enjoy the Silence most.

BERLIN SCHOOL / RETRO / ELEKTRO / AMBIENT Music - Latest info and webshop at: www.rewo-music.com| http://www.downloadplatform.com/rewo_music/ and on Bandcamp: http://www.rewo.bandcamp.com / http://www.rene-vanderwouden.bandcamp.com and http://renevanderwouden.bandcamp.com/

http://www.renevanderwouden.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
crazeydazey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still not got round to watching it Embarassed and there is more on tonight..

Krautrock - neu, kraftwerk and more... looks like it's gonna be good, I'll tape that too (and probably never get eound to watching it..)
willhowl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject:  Synth Brittania on YouTube Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After visiting this forum for the first time in two years, I became aware of this BBC production...........and looked at YouTube.........and found it!!!!!

Posted early in November '09, by ZareZagreb2, it looks, and sounds great.....Check it out..................................willhowl Very Happy
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krautrock- The Rebirth of Germany, that got aired a couple of weeks ago is pretty good, but it kinda seems incomplete without this other documentary ( available on DVD ) - Kraftwerk and the Electronic Revolution.

Still, it seems like the current popular myth prevents documentary filmmakers from mentioning artists like say Mother Mallard´s. So far these guys are seemingly banned from the history of electronic music. Same thing with David Vorhaus and his early work. And others. It will always gonna be Brian Eno and the poor Krauts and then the synth britpop and yet more Kraftwerk.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
willhowl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject:  Bad News .....Synth Britannia Fans..... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Today I got to the completion of this 9 (nine) part YT presentation......or actually, NOT!!!!!

Apparently, BBC decided to block the last segment ((+/-) 9 minutes) because of "copyright issues" Hmmmmmm.........

Who knows????? At least, what we can see is pretty cool, and does include a good deal of Kraftwerk coverage...........still worth checking out.......especially for us Yanks..........even though I'm a Texan!!!!

Later.......willhowl Rolling Eyes
adnauseam

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Synth Britannia
Subject description: Now on Youtube
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I don't get BBC here in Canada but I sure get youtube.

Here you go, Universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

Full Doc, Streaming.

Enjoy Cool
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sam_Zen wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean here. This IS about post punk English synth bands and artists like Gary Neuman and Depeche Mode and Yazoo and PSB. All still amazing and groundbreaking. It's too bad it only covers Depeche Mode in the early Pop years as their music changed later on and their use of just about every synth available got much more detailed. They used a ton of modulars on their latest release "Delta Machine"

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: